74 black / tan 3.0cs on ebay

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its a good question Scott. i would only do it if i needed or wanted to change engines. my coupe came with a b34 with injection. not the greatest engine. so i had SFDon build me a euro b34 - high compression 3.5 w/ a good cam. not yet installed but we will do that later this year (hopefully this spring), as soon as my car gets out of the paintshop. originally was going to go with motronic 1.3, but i think Don has talked me into megasquirt. so the basics are already there ... now we put all the other stuff in and make it a rocket w/ 240+ hp
If you want a stock look, switching carbs to D-jet is the way to go. For Bill and others like him it is a straight forward job. We were lucky, the parts car was injected. You would need quite a bit, gas tank, lines, brain, wiring before you even get to the unit itself. And some small changes that take time and $$, like moving the washer tank closer to the firewall. But it is definitely worth it. The final touch, the CSi emblem on the trunk.

Steve

tightbox

Reaction score
My Italian import is a "real" CSi that was inexplicably swapped over to carbs (not sure if full engine swap, but even the logo was changed). Any estimates on parts cost to go back to original? Sounds like some of the other parts of the equation should already be in their proper places.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you were going for a concours car, then sourcing a D-Jet and all of the ancillaries would be very important. if you wanted a similar look and you had a non-matching engine ... i would go with motronic 1.3 and a b35 (3.5L). most wouldn't know the difference at first glance. the point of the matter, a true CSi engine is higher compression / power than a std. CS engine ... so is a b35. and the motronic is easier to tune - D jet is getting to be like carbs, nobody knows how to deal with them ... except for a handful of old guys that really know their stuff. D-jet is going to bring a std. compression CS engine to life more than the carbs.

restart

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in some places, like where I live in Canada switching from carbs to fuelie or vice versa disqualifies the car from collector/historic vehicle status insurance. Switching an auto to standard, iirc is the same issue. And another obstacle we have in Canada is that welding a frame is verboten. Actually illegal! I learnt this the hard way and now have an injected m90/265 e3 parts car. I know one can get away with it, but when push comes to shove you may find yourself uninsured.
If you never plan on running historic plates it’s not an issue.