The Raven e9 project

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it attaches to the metal framework in the trunk. the elephant skin panels surround the toolbox, there are no screws that go through those pieces. if you are worried about the metal contact, put some thin neoprene fender washers between. the problem of the original toolbox is that weight pulls the screwheads through the box on bumps. the reinforcement with large metal washers epoxied to the box greatly expands the surface area.

i have driven with my tools in this box and haven't had issues. i recently bought the new box, so i no longer have to worry about this issue.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Plastic Color Restoration

What is fascinating to me is that I have no good reference for what the plastic looked like 45 years ago. When exposed to UV, plastic will change color. Same goes for solvent rich fumes (gas tank in the same trunk cavity as the tool kit). Question is, do any of us actually know what the plastic looked like off the showroom floor? Even within a collection of perfect references, were there different suppliers and/or different formulations and batches that offered slight variation over the years? I'd guess yes.

Based on the (2) donor shells I have, I am making an assumption that the one that is clearly not as faded and yellowed is more accurate. And within that reference, the top surface of the upper shell - the part that was against the deck lid and should have seen no UV exposure - is likely the closest reference I have.

I have made mock-up color tests with SEM Color Coat aerosol: Storm Gray and Warm Gray (as suggested by others on the forum). At first glance (on the still dirty/not well cleaned donor lid), the Storm Gray is a closer match in overall tone. Which is to say, the Warm Gray looks lighter. But in person here, we can see that the Storm Gray almost has a hint of blue/red (yes, sort of purple). Just a slight hue. Might not be noticeable if it weren't being compared to the other adjacent plastic.
20180408-color test.jpg

But when compared to the back of the "good" reference piece, I think the Warm Gray is a more accurate match to my "as close to the original as I have available". With that in mind, I think I'll go with the Warm Gray for the final piece.
20180408-flat comparison.jpg

20180408-comparison 1.jpg

20180408-comparison 2.jpg

My "good" cover piece is currently clamped up with some epoxy setting up in two hairline cracks. After that is complete, I will begin to restore some other areas that are missing.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a little redundant, but I wanted to capture it in this thread and also for the forum. Just a few additional observations.

First, I wanted to isolate the color comparison without any ambient noise. To my eye, this further reinforces that the Warm Gray color is a good match (at least to the non-faded shell I have). Another point worth noting - I deal with colors quite a bit in my work. And I can be found on any given day referring to colors as more or less saturated, and warmer or cooler... I find the "Warm Gray" less warm than "Storm Gray". Semantics...
20180408_124607.jpg

And, I found it interesting that the faux texture that the manufacturer used on the shell (which looks sort of like leather) is repeated - quite frequently. The repeating pattern is only a 45mm x 49mm grid. I hope you can pick it out in this photo.
20180408-repeating pattern.jpg

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, your color tests come out looking suspiciously similar to the available colors on new BMWs. Coincidence? I think not...
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that new BMWs have plastic that is coincident with SEM paints? Or perhaps more accurately, SEM is making paint colors to match new BMWs? My study simply shows that one of the SEM paint colors is strikingly similar to a tool shell from one of our 45 year old cars.

Last edited:

Dohn

Reaction score
Stephen, It was simply my feeble attempt at a joke; comparing your various shades of gray to the limited color choices on new BMWs.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I say, make it match the underside vinyl panels' color.
That is a great idea, Rob. I agree! Unfortunately, I don't have those yet (not even a piece to compare). I do have the wheel well covers, so that might be another good reference/comparison.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having just learned how to upload videos (had to create not one but two YouTube channels) ;), I thought I'd upload the first recorded video of the Raven. This is the day we trailered it to our weekend place. I had just backed it out of the trailer and my wife grabbed my phone and started taking this video. I was so against her making this video that day, but it has become my favorite thing to watch. After the car has been on wheel dollies in the garage for months, it is nice to be reminded that it does run and drive. :D

I've re-loaded the video at a more appropriate size. At this scale it is easier to see that the wind screens are taped on. :eek:

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although I am not making quick progress on any aspect of the project, I did want to share a teaser for the "in-progress" tool tray refurbishment. I am still working on the interior, but here is the shell. I am just about to re-rivet it together. Any cracks in the shell have been repaired, areas that were missing were replicated with an epoxy formulation and plastic from my donor shell. I still have to re-drill the holes at the latch side of the case. On the back, I layed up a layer of fiberglass between two layers of epoxy. It is not pretty - the epoxy I was using was almost too thick to wet out the fiberglass. But it should be very strong. The color deviation from my earlier tests has more to do with the lighting coming through the window than the finish work. I think it looks spot on. :D
C-01.jpg
C-02.jpg
C-03.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A little more work on the tool case. New truss head tubular rivets to hold the two halves of the clam shell together. And new shoulder rivets to attached the stop brackets at each side.
20180528-hinge rivets.jpg
20180528-hinge top.jpg
20180528-hinge back.jpg

20180528-brackets.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How the forum has changed me

I’ve always intended to restore my car reasonably close to original. But because of some modifications, people tell me it would fall into the category of oem+. I will still do/keep a selection of “hidden upgrades”, many as discussed in a recent thread of the same name. But I have to say, the more I read the forum, the more I am pulled in an original direction.

My latest tug is the color of my car. When I bought it, it had a rattle can black paint job. And since I am a “black car guy” (and have been vocal about this disorder on the forum), it was an easy excuse to plan for an 086 Schwarz paint job.

There has been so much discussion on the forum lately regarding the colors these cars come in. And that has led me to consider one of my favorite colors: Malaga. What a beautiful color on a coupe.

But the thoughts of Malaga may have only served as a means to allow me to re-consider the original color of the car – the color it left the BMW factory wearing: Polaris Silver. Also a color I love – and it’s “original”. So I may have come full circle, and I can thank the “attitude” of this forum for that.

Of course, this decision will require a new name. :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know - I'll be lucky to have the car finished just in time to be buried in it. :eek:
"To be buried in it." Isn't that what we all plan if there is no one who deserves our coupes? My daughter, Car Girl, will inherit my coupe plus enough to live the life she(the coupe) is accustomed to. My wife says I treat the coupe, "like an aging starlet."

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just to jump to page 1 .... i see you mounted a cold start cable on the webers.... don't think you need that. I never installed it and starts right up , even in winter conditions ( below zero ) ... just pump a few times the pedal and ok, help the first 30 secondes with some revs and drive.... does it have a direct good idle firing up with the use of the cold start device ?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My daughter, Car Girl, will inherit my coupe plus enough to live the life she(the coupe) is accustomed to.
That sounds like a good place for your coupe to go. No kids to inherit mine (and the cats don't want it). So I've given my wife direction to contact the forum so you all can help her assess value and who a worthy new owner will one day be. But I'd like for that to be a good stretch down the road, after I get to enjoy her for a while.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
just to jump to page 1 .... i see you mounted a cold start cable on the webers.... don't think you need that. I never installed it and starts right up , even in winter conditions ( below zero ) ... just pump a few times the pedal and ok, help the first 30 secondes with some revs and drive.... does it have a direct good idle firing up with the use of the cold start device ?
Honestly, I haven't used the cable. We installed the carbs quickly to "get the car running". And part of that exercise was to install the manual choke cable as a matter of due course. I've started the car in about 40 degree Fahrenheit weather and it seemed okay - had to fuss with the throttle for a little while. One of my next adventures will be to install the new 123ignition, new (old) VGS manifold, and a few other coolant related items (including bypass valve). I'd like to leave the cable off at that time and see how it does. I would also like to get the exhaust complete so everything related to the car running is at a good level. If you read between the lines, I am finding anything to spend time on BEFORE taking the car apart for the big chassis restoration. :D