My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
[This thread is a continuation of my mini-restoration project started here, but locked down for comments due to non-relevant content being added by others.]

Benny and I met today, and we both apologized to each other. We went over the car carefully together and he promised to address ALL my issues and deliver the car by next Friday. When we went through things together, he understood and agreed with all my concerns, i.e. none of my issues were unreasonable per Benny.

Fact is that he let the car go before he finished it. Perhaps it was my fault for wanting it so badly. He is a proud man and when the video was sent to him by a forum member stirring things up, it bothered him, as it would me if I were him. The video was never intended for him to see, and it is my fault for posting it here. I honestly thought that this entire forum was only for members and not viewable to the public, and had no expectation that someone would insert themselves into my relationship. Live and learn I suppose.

I want to thank most members of this forum for their help. As a result, I am confident that the end result will be awesome.

I need a few parts, etc., which I am sorting out, e.g. new alternator, etc. and I will have a mechanic do that install. Benny checked the voltage when running and only showing 12volts, not 14 volts, which i think means we need a new alternator, but may just need to replace the brushes/diodes. Not sure how to tell nor is Benny.

I am sorry that I shared way too much with this forum. I am also very sorry that someone decided to involve themselves in my business causing a massive rift in my relationship with my friend and vendor. In my life, this has never ever happened before. Benny and I worked it out, and even shot a nice video intended for the forum, but I am refraining from posting anything more that might provoke someone here for reasons that are beyond me.

I thought that we were all e9 owners looking out for each other, but I guess that is not necessarily the case in all cases. I apologize for my inexperience with mechanical things and asking too many questions that may appear obvious to everyone here. I also apologize for asking the same questions over and over in some cases. This stuff is like a foreign language to me; it just doesn't register.

I love cars, but as one member of this forum told me privately that I am not a "car guy," aka gear head, my words, like most of you. That is true, although previously I thought I was a car guy, but not a mechanically inclined car guy, if that is possible.

Benny is a great guy and friend, who does great work. I am confident that he will deliver a great result in the end, in part thanks to all (most) of you guys. For those of you that reached out to me via PM and email to express your support, I really and truly appreciate you, including those of you that have called me too. I consider you all my friends and I hope to meet you in the future. Actually, I hope to travel around the country and photograph as many of you with your e9 and post here.

While I am not good with mechanical things, I am pretty good with a camera, and these cars are truly beautiful, in all conditions in my opinion. What we all have in common is our love of the e9. My love started the very first time I saw it, when I was VERY young. I settled for a 635 csi, but I realized my dream 7 years ago when I bought MY BABY. I look forward to enjoying this vehicle for many years to come, and hope to be able to share my experiences and seek out help over time during my many more years of ownership.

My prior post it appears was one of the most viewed threads on the forum of all time, even though it started only last December. I hope it can prove helpful to others like me that have a nice car that they think just needs a paint job.

Please refrain from using this thread as method to hate on me or anyone else. I am moving forward and will share images/videos of the car when done. I do apologize for consuming all of your time. I also thank most of you from the bottom of my heart for all your help. I truly appreciate it, and could not have done it without you.

I am thinking of combining the last thread into a edited video and article boiling down the key parts to help others. I think it would be fun to watch, when edited, and helpful. We shall see. I need some time to pass and to just enjoy the car.

Thanks again.

Scott

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Scott,
In all honesty, over the past 36 hours or so I actually missed getting a random update on your car's progress. Glad to hear that you and Benny are all good. And I will eagerly look forward to the "its finally done done" video. :D

I still think Benny and crew got in over their head, and I concur with the masses that there is a benefit to using e9 experienced people for a "more successful" e9 project. But that in no way means I want your car to fail or remain flawed. Keep us posted... :rolleyes:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to hear that all is fine, Scott.

I feel like I should apologize for coming on quite strong at the end there, in the heat of the moment. Your build thread has been very interesting to follow and participate in, and I didn't want it to get locked, but it did:(
So, I'm sorry for expressing my (unnecessary) opinions, and I'm glad to hear you and Benny have a plan to sort out the rest of the things. Your car will be stunning!

Take care,

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good news! Keep this thread going and keep asking “stupid” questions. There are an abundance of threads showing shade tree experts doing amazing things with an undisclosed budget. For better or worse your thread was the only one that tranparectly highlighted scope creep and budget escalations from the perspective of a “checkbook restoration”.

You don’t need to wrench on your car to be an automotive enthusiast. I wrench on my car but I’ve never been over 100mph on a track. I’ve never owned a car over 250hp. I’ve never done a lot of things that auto enthusiasts with more money than time get to enjoy. I certainly don’t resent them or discourage their enthusiasm.

Enough about that! This post is intended to spark enthusiasm and not debate. Clearly there is no room left for judgement and “I told you so” commentary. Wrap up your project. Ask more questions and get more help! Stay curious!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
That’s great news. Sometimes their has to be a shit-storm for the sky to clear.
Do me a favor… Please don’t create any more shit storms at least in my world. Thank you ;)

I do appreciate the personal message that you had sent to me apologizing. It meant a lot to me. Thank you

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Scott -- the diode/brush swap is cheap (under $20, I think). Try this first and see if it does the trick. If it doesn't you can keep swap the old diode/brushes back in and keep the new set for a spare.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott -- the diode/brush swap is cheap (under $20, I think). Try this first and see if it does the trick. If it doesn't you can keep swap the old diode/brushes back in and keep the new set for a spare.
THANKS, VERY MUCH. Ordering now from La Jolla, Carl Nelson, who has been freaking awesome.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just called Carl Nelson. He doesn't have the brushes/diode for the alternator and doesn't know where to get them. Any have any ideas? Seems I should try that before replacing the alternator. Thanks all.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there are different versions of these. But I just typed in Bosch 30062 (the part number from the internal voltage regulator in your photograph of your alternator), and Rock Auto might have them.
rock auto bosch 30062.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,
You don't have to be a mechanic or know how to wrench or be a gear head. It's the love of the machine, the body and soul that counts. Benny seemed promising and more than competent. But these are unusual cars with the serious usual problems: RUST, the Godzilla, the butchery by previous owners and hacks. Often an unknown history beyond VIN, build date, delivery and color. Odometers that can roll over two and three times, read 86,000 and cosmetically, especially to the un-tutored, appear to be possible. You have paid your dues literally and figuratively and now you have arrived.

Steve

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
You don't have to be a mechanic or know how to wrench or be a gear head. It's the love of the machine, the body and soul that counts. Benny seemed promising and more than competent. But these are unusual cars with the serious usual problems: RUST, the Godzilla, the butchery by previous owners and hacks. Often an unknown history beyond VIN, build date, delivery and color. Odometers that can roll over two and three times, read 86,000 and cosmetically, especially to the un-tutored, appear to be possible. You have paid your dues literally and figuratively and now you have arrived.

Steve
Here’s the funny thing… I have learned a tremendous amount by going through this process on all levels. Believe it or not, I have learned the concept of patience. I know that is hard to believe but it is true. I am very much an immediate gratification type of person and I have learned in this process that is not the case. I’ve learned to slow down and make sure that things are being done properly and I appreciate the history involved in these vehicles. I might not have learned as much as you guys yet but I am on step one. Thank you all

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This thread is not going to turn into another mega thread with WAY too much posted, it's not good for anyone.

The theme of this thread will be "less is more". Scott, as hard as it is for you to do, you need to say less. I have to watch everything that goes on here and to be honest, some of your posts are so long I don't want to use my precious personal time to read them. I'm not saying to stop posting, I'm suggesting that you put all of your thoughts together before you start writing.

Everything in moderation...

Dan

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car guys.: Some of the most fantastic car guys I know don’t know what a foot pound is some likely don’t know how to tighten a screw. But they love cars and know 100x more about famous owners and drivers than me. I have other car guy friends who fabricate complex alloy body panels at home just for kicks. There is plenty of room for all types in this hobby.

TodB

Reaction score
This thread is not going to turn into another mega thread with WAY too much posted, it's not good for anyone.

The theme of this thread will be "less is more". Scott, as hard as it is for you to do, you need to say less. I have to watch everything that goes on here and to be honest, some of your posts are so long I don't want to use my precious personal time to read them. I'm not saying to stop posting, I'm suggesting that you put all of your thoughts together before you start writing.

Everything in moderation...

Dan
Thank you Dan. Sage advice.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am more than happy to refrain from posting or for that matter not post all together if that is what is preferred. I did not realize that there was any sort of guidelines on this.