CSL Re-Birth - Sydney

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This week:
- dash screwed in for the last time
- back half of the interior of the car is finished now - everything screwed in and fits well
- ceiling light installed
- boot and bonnet final preparation started

Note this is an old steering wheel from the donor car.

Next week:
- some minor wiring to allow us to finish the front under dash area
- finish dash and centre console
- paint the bonnet and boot

Some issues and missing parts:

- the t shaped rubber that fits between the front quarter window and door trim (we only have one!)
- we are getting some original head rests, until then we are missing one of the plastic infills for the headrests
IMG-7828.JPG
IMG-7830.JPG
IMG-7834.JPG
IMG-7835.JPG
. A while back I found a small BMW restorer (I think in the UK) that makes them - will try and find again
- when we open the arm rest - we can see some sound proofing - what is the original treatment so this is covered by fabric or similar?

Best,

David

JohnFBD

Reaction score
This week:
- dash screwed in for the last time
- back half of the interior of the car is finished now - everything screwed in and fits well
- ceiling light installed
- boot and bonnet final preparation started

Note this is an old steering wheel from the donor car.

Next week:
- some minor wiring to allow us to finish the front under dash area
- finish dash and centre console
- paint the bonnet and boot

Some issues and missing parts:

- the t shaped rubber that fits between the front quarter window and door trim (we only have one!)
- we are getting some original head rests, until then we are missing one of the plastic infills for the headrestsView attachment 49110 View attachment 49111 View attachment 49112 View attachment 49113 . A while back I found a small BMW restorer (I think in the UK) that makes them - will try and find again
- when we open the arm rest - we can see some sound proofing - what is the original treatment so this is covered by fabric or similar?

Best,

David

Hay David, can’t see from the dash photo, there’s a windlass trim that goes between A post and edge of the dash did they install? Hard to get in later.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi David, back inside section of my armrest is covered with same leather as seats. See back seat photo:

3C3DD3BC-F7FE-4A36-8D15-F2E181D66ADD.jpeg

Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hay David, can’t see from the dash photo, there’s a windlass trim that goes between A post and edge of the dash did they install? Hard to get in later.

That is a great checkpoint - thank you so much - keep them coming everyone - one of my major motivations in sharing so many pictures is to have the global team of video refs spot the fouls. If you have a picture- that would be much appreciated.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi David, back inside section of my armrest is covered with same leather as seats. See photo:

View attachment 49126

Thanks Mal.

We also covered our their too (in original Vinyl). The issue is the bottom. Just before it closes over again, you get a sneak peek into the cavity - what happens in original cars - do you see bare metal/soundproofing or is their an extra flap there too? Again a photo (with flash) would be very welcome.

Thanks again.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Mal.

We also covered our their too (in original Vinyl). The issue is the bottom. Just before it closes over again, you get a sneak peek into the cavity - what happens in original cars - do you see bare metal/soundproofing or is their an extra flap there too? Again a photo (with flash) would be very welcome.

Thanks again.

When armrest is fully open and flat I can’t see any green bodywork (photo 1), but as it is opening and leveling down I do get to see the green bodywork behind the back seats (photo 2 half lowered down).

(Can’t guarentee if this is original spec, but that’s how mine looks)

FEAF4D93-B2E4-468C-8356-E73261DABA2E.jpeg

50C325CE-A8FA-4A9F-A55C-2B4E27D2F4CE.jpeg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if my car still retained it's original condition in this area; but it still has the horse hair pads attached to the vertical panel behind the two seat buckets. I also have original leather still on the seats & trim.

In my car the condition would be same with a half opened armrest; there was no covering.

The only reason that I am doubting is because two pieces 3*3 cm of leather were sandwiched (glued?) between the black metal bracket that holds the armrest to the vertical panel (the left one is just visible in your picture). These little pieces of leather are still in; see the pics with the small light brown (but now quite dirty) bits glued in.
They could indicate that a larger panel was there some time in its life, covering the view to the naked body. But these pieces seem to be randomly cut, bits of left overs, so I am inclined to think your situation is correct. ____update___ I'm wrong; see post 111: there was originally a piece covering the area, with half open armrest no body work would show.___

erik.

Attachments

• 20180213_232324.jpg
    20180213_232324.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 20180324_224402.jpg
    20180324_224402.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing guys>
1. We have the windlass trim installed (Thanks John)
2. We accept the metal was originally exposed under the seat rest (Thanks Mal and Erik). As we have soundproofing exposed (not painted metal nor horse hair) we might insert some trim to cover!

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not much progress this week as we dealt with some final testing and debugging of wiring (and connecting the back lights, and earth plates).
Some progress on trim, but mostly all WIP so just a snap of the interior light!

interior light.jpg

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We have had more setbacks:
- some critical parts missing (not sure how they got lost form O&S), e.g. rear mirror plate for the roof, rubber housing for the gear shifter and horn spring!
- also when we unwrapped the windscreen it had delaminated! I am grateful it has happened already and not soon after reinstallation!

Some modest but important progress shots:
- ducktail repainted after the O&S fiberglass job was redone correctly
- rear window demister wiring reinstalled and earthed
- initial install of the new boot panels (the early wood panels had also delaminated and the elephant's skin needed replacement)

IMG-5747.JPG
IMG-5748.JPG
IMG-5824.JPG
IMG-5825.JPG

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mal, nice find of the pic in post 111.
So fully covered it is.

It also shows that the horizontal piece of the metal bracket holding the armrest is covered with a piece of vinyl/leather. Seeing it, I remember that my armrest also has a bit of leather glued on there.
....A bare necessity for any correct restoration.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A lot of progress over the past week:

- Rear spoiler fitted and looks very flush and CSL like!
- front and rear windscreen installed perfectly (Thanks John!) - see the wax they use which will be removed at detailing
- the rear view vision mirror installed (O&S 'lost' the bracket (among many other parts) so we repurposed the one from our e9 donor
- front quarter windows returned from re-chroming - very nice job on some intricate parts
- boot panels installed
- boot roof panels installed (we followed D'Quincy's advice on th e
IMG-5950.JPG
IMG-5953.JPG
IMG-5954.JPG
IMG-5955.JPG
IMG-5957.JPG
IMG-5959.JPG
IMG-5960.JPG
screws and rubber washers for the heavy tool box which was completed this afternoon

Next week:
- paint and fit the bonnet
- charge the air con and final final check on all electrics
- fit the front seats and centre console
- schedule for the decal expert to visit!

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This week, progress slowed because the front quarter windows were so hard to fit, and the new rubbers are creating havoc with the panel gaps.

There photos show:
- new EOM hub caps fitted
- we sourced an original Petri from an Aus delivered CSL and have had the wheel recovered in leather and have a cracked original and thicker reproduction steering wheel column cover
- air conditioning being charged - now working perfectly for those hot and sticky Sydney summer days and for when the windows steam up

Next week:
- Bonnet being final sanded on the car as the weight of the steel frame pushes against the aluminum skin when on a frame and we want it to be perfect
- Seats and radio and centre console being finalised
- Number plates back on
- sound insulation for the bonnet fitted

BTW: Does anyone know of any tricks to deal with new rubbers - with the CSL's aluminium skin they play even more havoc - even over the fitting created by the worn but not worn out
IMG-6092.JPG
IMG-6093.JPG
IMG-6094.JPG
rubbers we used for accurate panel fitment

IMG-6092.JPG
IMG-6093.JPG
IMG-6094.JPG

The week after we hope to add:
- Decals
- wheel alignment
- engine tune up
- final detailing

Best laid plans of mice and men!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
David and Mal you may be interested in the price being asked for a CSL for sale in Brisbane on CarSales.

I think this may belong to the owner of Motorline BMW in Daisy Hill. If it is him then this may be the car he purchased from WA a couple of years ago for about $90,000.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
David and Mal you may be interested in the price being asked for a CSL for sale in Brisbane on CarSales.

I think this may belong to the owner of Motorline BMW in Daisy Hill. If it is him then this may be the car he purchased from WA a couple of years ago for about $90,000.

...if it was the WA car and it's the one I'm thinking of , it sold for about $78k .. I think the recent Calder Art Car "tribute " that was for sale at $275k is also Motorline ( relisted recently at $199k and appears to have sold with 24 hours )

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry for the tardy update - I have been busy with work and a house move.

As you can see from the below - the car is now approaching completion (4 years now!)

There are a host of little things to get just right, but it is largely operational and has been sent to BMW Sydney for a full work over, safety check and to get the timing correct. They have helpfully identified some relatively minor issues (great news for a full rebuild - congrats to the guys) and are trying to source a brand new service book from the factory so we can have a new one for the 'rebirth'.

I am travelling at present. When I am back in Sydney I will take a lot more photographs of the finished areas
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6286.JPG
needing proofing from our global expert panel!

I have also included the next generation of owners sitting in the car for the first time (new decals to go back on the air cond and I prefer the black leather gear stick knob so I haven't repolished the original wooden one)

IMG_6440.JPG
IMG_6441.JPG