2231367 Underway

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More work happening down at the workshop.

IMG_3934.jpg

This is the last of the rust repairs for the body. Still cant believe the chassis was in such good condition having seen countless horror stories on here.

This week the chassis was put into primer.

IMG_3944.jpg

The engine bay is also getting some love with a re-spray as well but we won't start on that until the rest of the bodywork is done.

IMG_3942.jpg

My wonderful spray painter, rust repairer, fabricator and counsellor reckons we will be in a position to start applying top coat next week. Cant wait to have a Ceylon E9 in my life :)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bit more activity today. Picked up the boot and bonnet from the abrasives shop. They've done an excellent job of cleaning all the gunk off from the inside of the panels.
Still need to do a metal repair around the top of the bonnet, see below, where there was a bit of rot. Rest of the bonnet is really good and it's not like I can just go down the road and buy one.

IMG_3953.jpg

We also did some investigation on a couple of rust holes around the left hand shock tower. I'd feared this was evidence of a larger problem hiding inside the fenders.

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

Was very pleasantly surprised to find that the bodywork below the rust hole, inside the fender, is in excellent condition with no signs of rust at all. The only explanation I can come up with for this is that there is a dip in the chassis at this point where water could have collected and been trapped in the insulation causing the corrosion issue. We went down to bare metal on the right hand shock tower, which had no sign of rust at all.

The chassis and most of the panels are now all in primer and we plan to start shooting colour in the next few days.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's been a busy week on the tools for the body works with some major progress to show for it.
Have also ordered new carpets, black from KHM and I've also had the alloy windscreen trims re-anodised (forgot to take a picture of that).

The final rust repair for the job is nearly complete.

IMG_3977.jpg

The top of the shock towers has also been repaired. We fabricated a new panel, which is now in place.
Pretty happy with the result.

IMG_3979.jpg

Perhaps the most exciting thing is that we have some GOLD going on some of the car.
Our Project Manager was most impressed.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

The colour is amazing, certainly never going to lose it in a carpark. If I'm totally honest I'll probably never park it in one :)

By the end of next week we should have the bonnet and boot lids prepped for topcoat.
We will then turn our attention to the engine bay.
Hope to be on the road by Xmas, this year :)

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
The colour looks amazing Wes....my friend here in Perth recently bought a csi that is same color (but very faded) ....this will inspire him ! . Cheers, Simon

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The colour looks amazing Wes....my friend here in Perth recently bought a csi that is same color (but very faded) ....this will inspire him ! . Cheers, Simon

I know right.
This is the factory colour.
I apologise for the crappy phone pics but the paint is amazing.
Has an almost gold leaf look to it, with lots of metallic flecking.
It also changes colour depending on how the light hits it.
Used to have a hot wheels as a kid that did a similar thing when it got warm.

Boobouna

Reaction score
I know right.
This is the factory colour.
I apologise for the crappy phone pics but the paint is amazing.
Has an almost gold leaf look to it, with lots of metallic flecking.
It also changes colour depending on how the light hits it.
Used to have a hot wheels as a kid that did a similar thing when it got warm.

I am planning to repaint mine at some stage in the not so near future so I might seek your advice on paint when I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobouna

Reaction score
Done.

What's your body work like?

Looks pretty solid and I’ve had several say the same but I’m sure once it gets stripped for paint there may be some gremlins around.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks pretty solid and I’ve had several say the same but I’m sure once it gets stripped for paint there may be some gremlins around.

I reckon there's a good chance :)
Wine was pretty good but still had some around jack points and sills.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Been another big week at the workshop.
Rust repair to the bonnet was finished a few days back.
The underside of the bonnet, boot, sunroof and air dam have been painted.
How good is Ceylon?

IMG_3993.jpg

Air Dam all done and ready for fitment.

IMG_3992.jpg

This picture is pretty interesting. It shows the inside of the engine bay just below the shock towers on the right hand side.
Look at the paint runs and how they are horizontal (parallel to the ground).
These runs are in the factory primer and original ceylon. The car must have been suspended in the vertical for spraying at the factory.

IMG_4001.jpg

The floors are all cleaned back and ready for some tar and two pack primer. Pretty happy with their condition and lack of rust. Doesn't happen everyday on an E9 :)

IMG_4012.jpg

Also found this original sticker on top of the heater behind the firewall. No idea what it says or means..

IMG_4003.jpg

We are now full steam ahead on cleaning the engine bay and another rub down of the body ahead of spraying in the next week or so.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some old pics but simply gorgeous in gold! Specially with the two tone, grey/ black interior

33850F7B-E1F1-48B1-BCB6-AD090821EC3E.jpeg
7D9FA618-AB03-4EC1-A3F2-5D2B9ECE9E42.jpeg
502DF17A-AF12-49A0-B54D-C801F0AB49B0.jpeg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Been a very hectic few days at the workshop with lots of progress as you can see.
Every time I take a picture the bloody thing changes colour..

Still need to paint the tops of the boot, bonnet and sunroof and then give the finish a good polish.
Next week should see the screens back in and re-fitting the bumpers and air dam.
Then we will turn to the windows.

Not sure on when the new carpet will go in as customs have held it up as they think I might need to pay duty.

IMG_4031.jpg
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More progress this week, which includes:
Bumpers and air dam have now been fitted;
Rear windows are back in;
Belt trim back on;
Chrome wheel arches re-fitted;

IMG_4039.jpg

Most of the sunroof mechanism is also back in. Our auto electrician is sorting out a few gremlins as well.
Lots of old wiring replaced or simply removed, see below. He's also installed a new ignition switch as the old one was worn out and not working properly.

IMG_4042.jpg

How good does the air dam look? This pic also gives you an idea how the colour changes depending on the light.

IMG_4040.jpg

Back end starting to come together as well.
IMG_4041.jpg

Still lots to do. Will try and get the glass back in the doors in next day or so. Windscreens should go in next week.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wes,
Front spoiler looks fantastic, the whole car does...... some real progress going on!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want to be able to drive the car for the next year or two ahead of a major overhaul where we go back t the original colour - Ceylon Gold.
You posted this less than 11 months ago.... Look at it now!
You are going at lighting speed by owner driven restoration standards! Must be the invigorating air from the southern ocean. Gotta keep moving so you don't freeze to death...

Reactions: Wes