CSI/CSL Bonnet, boot, wings, doors + extras

Enrico27

Reaction score
Hi, I recently cleared out my late father’s garage and came across some parts which I think are for a BMW 3.0 CSI. He used to own one back in the 80’s/90’s and we thought he had sold the parts with the car. A neighbour can remember my father saying he had some body panels for a CSL which he was reluctant to part with. Would anybody be able to help me identify what they are? Thanks.
IMG_2808.jpeg
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg
IMG_5784.jpeg
IMG_8364.jpeg
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg
20190204_120917.jpg
20190205_104829.jpg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Enrico,
That would be the find of the century.
If the doors and the hood and trunk are from a Csl then they are in Alu and a magnet will answer that. The door skins are Alu but the frame is steel as opposed to the trunk and hood, which are all Alu and no steel
As far as the fenders are concerned, take a gauge and measure the sheet metal thickness, if it’s a Csl part it should be about..... see pic
If they are for sale, let me know, I have someone who’ll take it all!
Regards from Germany
Keshav
C398F5A0-DFC6-4F7D-9F89-5D54808732D2.jpeg

Enrico27

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I've put a magnet to all the panels and only on the bonnet (and wings) does the magnet stick, so I assume the doors and boot are from a CSL? Here's a picture showing the thickness of one of the wings, its coming in at 0.93 or thereabouts. Here's also a picture I found of my father with his CSI many years ago. Unfortunately we have to sell these parts, can anyone please give me an idea of approximate value? Is it best to sell individually or all as one?
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_7713.JPG

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I've put a magnet to all the panels and only on the bonnet (and wings) does the magnet stick, so I assume the doors and boot are from a CSL? Here's a picture showing the thickness of one of the wings, its coming in at 0.93 or thereabouts. Here's also a picture I found of my father with his CSI many years ago. Unfortunately we have to sell these parts, can anyone please give me an idea of approximate value? Is it best to sell individually or all as one?View attachment 59528View attachment 59529

The fenders are probably standard E9 ones, very sought after!
The hood is standard E9 and in great shape other than the top part.
Doors, and trunk are Csl and precious! Doors aren’t in great shape and will need plenty TLC before usage.

I’ll leave pricing to others.... being that they are all over the place and someone doing a full restoration will pay more than others. All these parts are NLA so owner is King!

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

Enrico27

Reaction score
The fenders are probably standard E9 ones, very sought after!
The hood is standard E9 and in great shape.
Doors, and hood are Csl and precious! Doors aren’t in great shape and will need plenty TLC before usage.

I’ll leave pricing to others.... being that they are all over the place and someone doing a full restoration will pay more than others. All these parts are NLA so owner is King!

Good luck with the sale.
Thank you, Keshav!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can toss that aluminum donut. I threw two out yesterday and I generally advise against disposing of any parts.

I can provide pricing details on the front fenders via PM. Recent sales and vendor list prices. I don’t want or need them. :D

You can also do a group PM with a few members that offered to help. I just don’t want to list the vendor prices publicly.

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a great photo ... Thank you for sharing it !
Your Dad was ahead of his time.
Best Wishes
Johnny

mr bump

Reaction score
Hi, I recently cleared out my late father’s garage and came across some parts which I think are for a BMW 3.0 CSI. He used to own one back in the 80’s/90’s and we thought he had sold the parts with the car. A neighbour can remember my father saying he had some body panels for a CSL which he was reluctant to part with. Would anybody be able to help me identify what they are? Thanks.
View attachment 59514 View attachment 59515 View attachment 59516 View attachment 59517 View attachment 59518 View attachment 59519 View attachment 59520 View attachment 59521 View attachment 59522
My strong advice enrico is listen to keshav, he's the fairest man at pricing sort after parts and has NO hidden agenda when pricing them. I too have had prices on parts from him when selling and he's spot on with them. You have a lot of money's worth there, you can only sell them once, so don't give them away for pennies because the buyer is "restoring" a car, dont listen to sob stories, be brutal and insist on full money for them.
Good luck.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My strong advice enrico is listen to keshav, he's the fairest man at pricing sort after parts and has NO hidden agenda when pricing them. I too have had prices on parts from him when selling and he's spot on with them. You have a lot of money's worth there, you can only sell them once, so don't give them away for pennies because the buyer is "restoring" a car, dont listen to sob stories, be brutal and insist on full money for them.
Good luck.

Agreed that @Keshav is knowledgeable and fair. I’m not quite sure who you are referring to with hidden agendas and sob stories. For the benefit of the forum, this is what I sent @Enrico27

Hi Enrico,

I’m not sure if I can add much on the CSL bits. Note that repro aluminum hoods are going for $6K USD - made by a forum member. A used steel trunk costs $300 - $1,000. An aluminum one should be $3K+ IMO. W&N sells new aluminum door skins for 300 €. That would go on a heavy gauge steel CS door, which sells for around $300. So a repro CSL door is at lear $700 USD. An original CSL door with lightweight sheetmetal and an aluminum skin should sell for at least $1,500 IMO.

<edit>US Vendor</edit> sells used CS fenders for $2K each. A set of NOS fenders just sold privately for $5K. That number seems fair IMO. There are no reproductions available from any vendor.

GLWS!

damienh

Reaction score
Hi all, I also sent Enrico a message with some guesses at prices, and I did say that he first needs to know what he's got first. I mentioned that the wheel in the middle of the picture is not from an E9, does anyone know what it's from ? the window motors are likely from an E28 for a possible planned conversion, are they rears ? no clue what the rubber is, I can't think of anything that has a sharp 90 degree corner ? I can't see from the picture whether the badges are cloisonne or stamped, but regardless, weren't people complaining that the colour on the new badges is slightly off ? so some NOS original quality badges should be desirable ? I can also attest to Keshav's integrity.

Cheers,

Damien

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Damien,
Hope all is well. Thanks for your vote of confidence!
I think the bulk of his worthful parts are the sheetmetal ones. I’m sure that he’ll make the right decisions and find a good home.......he might be a bit overwhelmed by all our responses, rarely is a forum so outright and willing to help even the newest of members, in that we are a unique lot with the best of intentions.
Cheers
Keshav

Wladek

Reaction score
Hood is steel one - yellow rust in corners.
Doors as for me look like aluminium, due typical only for aluminium oxidation (or maybe it just rusted primer coat?). One door is slightly bented in front lower corner.
Not sure about boot lid - might be aluminium (magnet will definitely do the job).
If it was UK market CSL with City Pack, hood & boot lid as all we know where from steel & that's why it have power mirror on driver side.
I might be wrong due photo quality, but springs look to be progressive
I mentioned that the wheel in the middle of the picture is not from an E9, does anyone know what it's from ?
Left steering wheel is from e21, right one is from e12 or if later type of hub also from E28/E30

Last edited:

Enrico27

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you all for your feedback and advise. It has been a lot for me to take in as I'm very new to all this but I've read over everything yous have said and it has really helped!
As for selling the parts, I think I'm going to put them on eBay and see what happens. If anyone is interested they can PM with a question or a price. Hope everyone has a great day.
Regards,
Enrico