Gary's Avus Blau 3.0CS rebuild

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actually moved out of garage today............ because that was the only way I was going to get the drivers seat in.
Just too close to a wall of cabinets on the driver side to get the seat in the correct side and certainly wasn't going to lug it across the inside of the car and tear up something.
The Scheel seats are heavy. So put a stool on the drivers side and cranked her up.
Got the seat in which with a totally new bracket was tricky because bolt access is limited.
Drove around the neighbor hood ( deadend) and getting some popping from the Webers so need to look into that more.
Seemed so weird to be able to walk across my lift after almost 12 months of the car sitting.
Nice to see in the sun. And it's covered in pollen.

Just want to say how much I hate the center console in a coupe. What a piece of sh*t when it comes to the design and engineering they did. It's so hokey like something some amateur car builder with out resources would do.

Gary, first that is an awesome color. Probably one of my favorite colors I have seen on an e9. Would like to see your Scheel seat bracket that you used in your car. I am at the same point of installing my Scheels but need to fabricate a bracket. Found that the Scheel adapters mounted to the factory sliders make it a bit short to mount the seats width wise. I know Dave Varco at aardvarc makes one for the e24s, but a friend told me that it may be short for our e9s. Here is how mine came in with a Mickey Mouse aluminum bracket that the seats came with. Would like too see which one you went with.

AJ

20190412_120022.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dave Varco's bracket fits the e9. i have almost the same seats as Gary - his have a lumbar feature that mine do not. i bought the brackets and the seat installed easily + quickly.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary, first that is an awesome color. Probably one of my favorite colors I have seen on an e9. Would like to see your Scheel seat bracket that you used in your car. I am at the same point of installing my Scheels but need to fabricate a bracket. Found that the Scheel adapters mounted to the factory sliders make it a bit short to mount the seats width wise. I know Dave Varco at aardvarc makes one for the e24s, but a friend told me that it may be short for our e9s. Here is how mine came in with a Mickey Mouse aluminum bracket that the seats came with. Would like too see which one you went with.

AJ

View attachment 63170
Mine are less than spectacular so sounds like the ones Scott mentions may be the best. I never knew about them.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those look nice...plus saves me hours of trying to fabricate them. Thanks Scott.
Those are nice but my metal guy made me some and attached them to some new sliders. Problem is the sliders are a POS.
The whole mechanism then attaches to the bottom of the Scheel seat. Then you have to slide to the front and back to mount to car. I was able to use the back hole with the captive nut but had to drill a new front hole. Getting them in the car is hard work as they are pretty heavy and you can really screw up your back reaching in and trying to position them. I'm ok but it was close.
They're in there now but may have to revisit this at a later date. Good sliders that aren't $300 are hard to find.
Lesson learned- you get what you pay for.

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those are nice but my metal guy made me some and attached them to some new sliders. Problem is the sliders are a POS.
The whole mechanism then attaches to the bottom of the Scheel seat. Then you have to slide to the front and back to mount to car. I was able to use the back hole with the captive nut but had to drill a new front hole. Getting them in the car is hard work as they are pretty heavy and you can really screw up your back reaching in and trying to position them. I'm ok but it was close.
They're in there now but may have to revisit this at a later date. Good sliders that aren't $300 are hard to find.
Lesson learned- you get what you pay for.

Gary, what I did with my factory sliders is I had them sand blasted then Blue Zinc plated. After they come back they look really nice. Throw some PB Blast in there and they work really nice and look brand new.

Here is mine before I realized I needed new adapters.
20190418_092713.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just posted this in the thread about Sharkfest that I was trying to make, for the debut of my 3.0 CS.
Here's what happened yesterday.

Not going to make it.
Just seems like something kicks me in the but every couple of days.
Sunday afternoon I was feeling pretty good but around dinner time a back molar tooth began acting up. It had been zinging me for weeks and just kept ignoring it and maybe taking some Ibuprofen to get through the bad spots. Sunday evening it was really was getting worse so I called my dentist ( Easter Sunday) thinking I could leave a message they would get first thing Monday morning. They have an after hours answering service. About 30 minutes later my dentist calls me. I've been his patient for about 15 years or more and he is a car guy. Has a 60's Mustang that he got running again about 2 years ago.
So anyway I go to see him at 8:15 Monday morning. Takes a couple x-rays and didn't find a filling missing or a crack in the tooth.
Bad news was probably a root was dying. Calls the oral surgeon and at 12:30 I have a root canal done. Out by 1:45 and back home. Not too bad.
Earlier that morning I had called Hagerty to have the coupe put back to operational mode. It had been in a restoration category for 3 years which covered damage at body shop/ paint shop and then in my garage at home. I had the value at $35k. About right for a car with the rust this one had. LOL. So I asked to put the value at $100K. This was based on the cars on BAT that sold for $120-130's.
Mine being a new restoration and everything has been rebuilt.
So I get the root canal done and come home and no email or call from Hagerty. Thought this would just take a while. They inform me that they can't increase the value because I had a claim in 2016 on my E46 M3 DD. I had a freak accident and wasn't even charged because the police didn't think there was any reason to charge me.
Long story shortened, Hagerty refused to budge till August of this year when 3 years will have gone by and that claim will expire.
So you see this is where the underwriter attorneys control the business and their liability.
I am now working on a number of other possibilities including my home owners and DD company, State Farm.
They just have mileage limits of 3000 and make me a little nervous but did agree to the values I put on my 88 M5, 87 Porsche 911 Targa and then the 72 3.0CS.
I would have to get an appraisal of the coupe though.
So I put out the word to my local friends and found out about two more companies that will probably write this even with the claim that is 2 years and 8 months old.
I spoke to one of these companies today and explained this situation and they said they could "probably" write this.

In hind site it probably is a good thing this happened because it allowed me to breath and not but putting in all-nighters to try and finish the car. I lost a whole day with the tooth and insurance problem.
Just have to wait till next year.
Have fun and see some of you at The Vintage.
Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's who i use ... no issues there. the downside is the insurance is written through American Collectors ... or something like that. i have heard a few not-so-favorable things but i have had zero issues with Heacock, quite easy to work with. when my coupe was back in the running stage i was thinking about going back to hagerty ... even though they are more expensive.