1974 mint green (mintgrun) 4 speed project on BaT (NMNA)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, cool color! Full resto required, yes. But look what color you get to paint it after the work is done. Pretty special.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
quite the unique color. would have to see it in person to know if i really like it. generally not a huge fan of most green cars, i have seen mint 2002's, and i prefer taiga. but this is a rare bird so somebody will get something that you won't see too many others of. i presume this was the original color, but if i was buying, i would verify the VIN with BMW. should sell for an affordable price being non-operational due to the clutch / tranny.

the rust at passenger A pillar and at passenger tail light is concerning ... so are the rockers ... but i have seen MUCH worse.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
merged threads. Also bumped my mint thread in general.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mintgrun is certainly a cool "safety" color of the early 70's.
Is it me or does this color make those bumpers stick out more than usual?
I'd still rather have an e9 in Golf, Turkis, Ceylon, Inka or Colorado over this shade of green.
Guesses as to how much the color adds to the value? (if at all)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guesses as to how much the color adds to the value? (if at all)

My opinion is that the rarity of the color adds almost nothing to the value, especially this color. I think that prospective buyers still want Polaris or Schwarz. E9 owners that are inka or golf still wish they had a classy second e9 in Fjord. The 70’s colors are awesome but the metalics win the beauty contest IMO. I’m still painting mine Colorado...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
About as scary as one can get with a unrestored E9:

1597679180003fceBMW30CS-095.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
About as scary as one can get with a unrestored E9:

I disagree. It is the first area to go and not a leading indicator of other major problems. You can see that the rust is on the trailing edge of the fender. The leading edge is open an accessible from the well. The trailing edge is sandwiched against the structural (and very thick) lower a-pillar. Moisture gets trapped in there and the paper thin fender takes the hit. The lower A-pillar just gets pitted.

You can fix this without touching the rockers. Conversely, if the rockers are bad you need to remove both front AND rear lower fenders, as they wrap around the rocker and are welded in place..

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we can agree that this car needs some metal work. But it certainly doesn't look that scary. They need what they need. Depending on your appetite for metal work, this one seems as solid as the next car in need of a chassis restoration. Okay, hate messages begin now... :oops:
And again, factory mintgrun! Change the bumpers while you are in there, and you have (almost) a one of a kind).

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree. It is the first area to go and not a leading indicator of other major problems. You can see that the rust is on the trailing edge of the fender. The leading edge is open an accessible from the well. The trailing edge is sandwiched against the structural (and very thick) lower a-pillar. Moisture gets trapped in there and the paper thin fender takes the hit. The lower A-pillar just gets pitted.

You can fix this without touching the rockers. Conversely, if the rockers are bad you need to remove both front AND rear lower fenders, as they wrap around the rocker and are welded in place..

Well, that looks like bulging Bondo to me so the car was likely repainted at some point. What else has been covered up? My car had an accident long ago and the front sheet metal was replaced so I've got a rotted right rocker and good fenders. But I'll take the fenders off to make sure the underlying metal is properly painted.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, that looks like bulging Bondo to me so the car was likely repainted at some point. What else has been covered up? My car had an accident long ago and the front sheet metal was replaced so I've got a rotted right rocker and good fenders. But I'll take the fenders off to make sure the underlying metal is properly painted.

We haven't seen any indication of major rust. Lifting paint on the quarter isn't major rust, it is the one area that every e9 has been touched, including the cars that we lust after and admire. Logic dictates that a midwest car should be rusty. I find a shocking number of very nice BMW's in Detroit and Minneapolis however. The cars are after brought there later in life, driven in the summer, and garaged in the winter. Is a RWD classic car more likely to see winter driving in Florida/Tx rain or Michigan snow? If we are talking about cars from the 90's+ don't bother in the midwest.

The car has definitely had paint work done. My suspicion is that just the doors and lower rockers. There is enough skim coat to keep the paint from flaking off, but it isn't very thick. When bondo swells it gets hard like a pea until it ultimately falls off. I see lifted paint but not swollen bondo. The nose of the car has paper thin paint (near the roundel).

Overspray...
1597678814105d08003fceBMW30CS-029.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The car has definitely had paint work done. My suspicion is that just the doors and lower rockers. There is enough skim coat to keep the paint from flaking off, but it isn't very thick. When bondo swells it gets hard like a pea until it ultimately falls off. I see lifted paint but not swollen bondo. The nose of the car has paper thin paint (near the roundel).

Overspray...

Good catch on the overspray.
What's going on with this shock tower? That's an odd looking repair.
1974_bmw_3-0cs_RR shock tower.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good catch on the overspray.
What's going on with this shock tower? That's an odd looking repair.

I noticed that. Looks to me that it blew out. They repaired with a washer from the underside secured with bolts, rather than welding on a new plate.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Which is to say it's not repaired because that top metal is very thin and brittle and it will blow through again at some point

I noticed that. Looks to me that it blew out. They repaired with a washer from the underside secured with bolts, rather than welding on a new plate.

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a 74 3.0 near me in mintgrun. It is original. The color is nice and works well with the tan interior.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a 74 3.0 near me in mintgrun. It is original. The color is nice and works well with the tan interior.

Ineed. You posted a picture of it in my mintgrun thread. I think it's the only other one that has been spotted in the US. It is quite possible that there are several running around that were repainted in a different color. It wouldn't have been the first choice for a lot of folks even back in '74, so there can't be that many out there.