Derby on an E3?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think of Granada as lipstick red and Verona has a tiny bit of orange in it.
I've always described it as bright red and darker red. At least to my eyes. Type "bmw verona red" into google and select "Images" and leave the page full of thumbnails, then type "bmw granada red" and leave the page full of thumbnails, and I also did malaga. Now just click on the back and forward arrows to compare the samples.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've always described it as bright red and darker red. At least to my eyes. Type "bmw verona red" into google and select "Images" and leave the page full of thumbnails, then type "bmw granada red" and leave the page full of thumbnails, and I also did malaga. Now just click on the back and forward arrows to compare the samples.

I also tend to think of Verona as lipstick red, knowing full well that lipstick comes in more shades than BMW red. One could almost say fire engine red to get the point across.

Granada reminds me of cherries, although “cherry red” may draw a different visual for some.

20DD9A7B-4744-465B-9F3C-49F0DB4CAE99.jpeg

Within the paint FAQ I posted this pic of Verona up against my Granada car. I also
think (agree?) that Granada is closer to Malaga
than Verona.

B67A5C11-A0C3-4EE1-B6EE-776FD0C3C3D1.jpeg

Granada e9’s are actually rather rare. I’m just not a huge fan of red cars that don’t have a prancing horse on them. I’ll be doing a color change also.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I also tend to think of Verona as lipstick red, knowing full well that lipstick comes in more shades than BMW red. One could almost say fire engine red to get the point across.

Granada reminds me of cherries, although “cherry red” may draw a different visual for some.

View attachment 119458

Within the paint FAQ I posted this pic of Verona up against my Granada car. I also
think (agree?) that Granada is closer to Malaga
than Verona.

View attachment 119459

Granada e9’s are actually rather rare. I’m just not a huge fan of red cars that don’t have a prancing horse on them. I’ll be doing a color change also.
Agree...I always thought that Granada was more of a northern Italian blood red, like Fangio, Surtees in his F1 heyday...Verona more of an arrest-me red, with less subtly. Had one red car ever; a Tomato red VW GLI. Never red again.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know what color this is, but it gives you the general idea. It is likely Riviera. Derby is a hard color to put your finger on because it changes depending on lighting conditions (same with Bristol as @dang recently highlighted). Case in point, google "derby bmw" and observe the myriad of colors you get back. That can also be poor paint matching...

bmw-e3-front-side-nostalgia-racing-days-mantorp-classic-festi-2016-2-296409.jpgbmw-e3-front-side-bilsport-performance-custom-motor-show-2016-2-207038.jpg

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our first Bavaria, a '74 3 litre, was, I believe Atlantik Blue. Darker and deeper than the Riviera Markos posted above. His top right photo turns Riviera in Atlantik, almost. Interesting how the light can make such a significant difference. And it really does a job on Derby.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some e28 pics in Derby for you but of course there is no substitute for Golf........ o_O :rolleyes:. I'm colorblind but can see hues and that Derby in the chart above looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay darker than it looks like in person....just my opinion. Wait until I get some pics of the e28. It will maybe be as close as we can get to an e3 for an idea if you like it.

Last edited:

E3AV

Reaction score
That would be very helpfull
I’ve looked at many pictures and some videos of 02’s and NK’s in Derby, and I like the color even more.
I think its vintage and kind of modern at the same time.
I like looking at videos, as it often shows the variations in the color in different angles an light settings.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That would be very helpfull
I’ve looked at many pictures and some videos of 02’s and NK’s in Derby, and I like the color even more.
I think its vintage and kind of modern at the same time.
I like looking at videos, as it often shows the variations in the color in different angles an light settings.

Here you go.
573D566D-A0B7-4960-B711-608414C8EBE0.jpeg

E3AV

Reaction score
I said earlier that I’m not the biggest fan of tan colors when Nevada was mentioned.
I think I confused it with Sahara.
Nevada seems to look quite nice actually. Has a little green tint to it?
Not that many pictures of Nevada E3’s

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes you are right, looks alot like pastel blau
You can probably see that it looks much lighter in person than the chart above depicts. This is also indoors obviously, it will look totally different outside in sun. Then different outside in the clouds. I'll try and get another shot from the owner outside. Personally, I like the color on the e28 and think it will translate well into an e3. It's going to be tough finding an e3 in Derby even though the chart says it was offered for 2 months, I've never seen one. If there is one out there it would be extremely rare. Schwarz looks good on an e3 in my opinion and they did come from factory in Schwarz and I always thought the Diamond Schwarz Metallic would look good too, although not period correct.