GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Outside Sunny
D374C92C-7684-44C4-88D8-7DD770E6AAAC.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just show it from the rear. I wonder if an E9 nose would fit on a 2000cs. Are they the same size?
I assume you mean just the front clip, my brother has a 2000cs and I have an E9 so spent quite a bit of time looking at the differences, and what is interesting is the shape of the crease lines around the front are different

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also tend to think of Verona as lipstick red, knowing full well that lipstick comes in more shades than BMW red. One could almost say fire engine red to get the point across.

Granada reminds me of cherries, although “cherry red” may draw a different visual for some.

View attachment 119458

Within the paint FAQ I posted this pic of Verona up against my Granada car. I also
think (agree?) that Granada is closer to Malaga
than Verona.

View attachment 119459

Granada e9’s are actually rather rare. I’m just not a huge fan of red cars that don’t have a prancing horse on them. I’ll be doing a color change also.
I really like red E9's, Loren's when 'new' was the coolest

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I personally thing Bristol looks like primer.
I had a 2002 that was Bristol, I really didn't like it, one advantage, there was a spray can primer that was an almost exact match, great for touch ups
a very long time ago, I had it repainted in Emron, there were only fixed color choices, so I picked a grey, it was still grey but a lot lighter than the Bristol, and I really liked the result

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really like red E9's, Loren's when 'new' was the coolest

Hijack but Loren is the previous previous previous owner of my car (not including me). It has stayed with friends and family since he owned it in the 80’s, and he is still local to Seattle.

Great plate. Wish I had it! Note the <5mph passenger side bumper smack. The mount was bent a tad.
1DE2A720-CC5C-4FD0-8FDD-3E0AC96116AE.jpeg
E9507638-9A0E-45B8-BD21-F2BDA12F5DB9.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hijack but Loren is the previous previous previous owner of my car (not including me). It has stayed with friends and family since he owned it in the 80’s, and he is still local to Seattle.

Great plate. Wish I had it! Note the <5mph passenger side bumper smack. The mount was bent a tad.
View attachment 119848View attachment 119849
when were these photos taken? great to see

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
my long gone 2002 in lighter grey, terrible photo, all the years that I had it and this is the only one I have
my BMW 2002.jpg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 119848View attachment 119849
I know I posted this one time, but here it is again, the red 2800 and my 1800
my 1800 and Lrns 2800.jpg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted the red E9, white 1800 and very light grey 2002, for color comparisons, personally, not not a big fan of white, but something about the very light grey was cool
My E9 was white when I bought it, but it back to Polaris

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nevada on my 02. Bleached in the sun is deceiving, darker when not. Yes, a little green in some light, and yes mine is a single stage with clearcoat. A little less dark in value than Derby. (color value being what the colors would look like in a black and white picture; light to darkmy Nevada 02.jpg)

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Late to the conversation, but my 69 was Bristol originally and I agree, it looked like primer (though I always thought of it as battleship grey). When I repainted it, I went Fjord. It looked great IMO. That said, to keep more with the original palette, I should have gone Nevada, although with Navy interior, might not have been great combo. I think you need to consider the interior. Nevada with Tan, that’s nice! I had never seen Derby? That looks cool, but Atlantik looks pretty cool to me and would be nice with tan interior. My current Bav is Verona, and I thought if I get around to painting, I would go Granada. I have reconsidered, when I paint it it will be Verona. Original paint with original black interior (not so original mechanical restoration).

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AV - the owner of the Derby e28 said, "TELL HIM TO GO FOR IT, IT'S A GREAT COLOR!" LOL....But after reading the comments about interior color matching the exterior, I agree it should be part of the decision making. But seeing the color of your e3 now, it should match assuming that is the car in your icon pic. A darker interior would be better than lighter, unless a grey I think. Cardinal red would look really good IMO if you are looking to change that as well. I'm also assuming you are not going down that rabbit hole....for now at least. Let us know what you decide, good luck, hope the pics helped make up your decision.

E3AV

Reaction score
Yes this is my E3 before restoration.
4 years ago..
59F82354-121A-4F06-AE50-97DD1E14EC38.jpeg

4E49C818-1F03-499A-814F-07CC97B168EF.jpeg

Now it looks like this:
Stripped to bare metal (exept front fenders as they are new) and coated in black epoxy primer.
14327CDD-77F2-4E97-91EA-674A7FB76327.jpeg

It has black vinyl interior.

mmccusername

Reaction score
Derby is one of my favorite colors on an 02. I think it would look great on an E3, though maybe better on a later version with more black accents.
A saddle or oxblood interior would be my vote.

My Sahara dreams of being Taiga one day--

Attachments

• 20200923_112919_1600875070698-1.jpg
    20200923_112919_1600875070698-1.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 96

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gavin’s Derby sedan is an e12 done in a homage to the 530MLE South African race car.
Thanks Chris, my bad on the e28, I realized that when I was sleeping and forgot to correct later. Anyhow, I think as close as anyone is going to get to see what Derby would look like on an e3 since the e12 is a bigger sedan vs. seeing the color on a 2002 or coupe. the e12 is fresh paint and all, I think good color match at that from the other Derby cars I've seen in person. I don't know of any e3's in Derby, do you?

Shown inside and outdoors it really shows how that paint changes hues, and again in clouds but that's all Gavin would send me pic wise. Couldn't get a cloudy, outside pic.