Derby on an E3?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
that red looks SO good. mine is verona and I can't tell the difference
strange, i had exact the same feeling.
Now i "think" mine is Verona .... car was ever repainted by PO... so not sure what it really is.
Yper12018.jpg

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
haha, not at all @Dick Steinkamp .... this was the tech inspection before the rally . It was held in a Merc garage , so coincidence that truck behind is about the same color.

PS they were a bit discussing as i had 100W bulbs in the headlights..... but let me pass :D

Christoph

Reaction score
Granada is right. Look at this.
ams26-68.jpg

This is the first E3 road test in Germany's largest car magazine. They were given a Chamonix 2500, M-CJ177. All pictures in the article show that white car. Except for the cover shoot where they used the Granada M-CJ178, for obvious reasons. A brilliant decision and also that it's on the left lane of a motorway, home territory, so to say. (This picture of the cover found on the web.)

I understand your uneasiness changing your car's colour. To my mind it is perfectly acceptable to go from a more common colour to a less common one that is period correct. Apart from that it is your car so you decide. In this case: Hats off to your and your wive's decision.

Chamonix is a nice colour, too. A huge portion of Series 1 E3 came in Chamonix, not quite exclusive but very fashionable in continental Europe at the time. Most early demonstrators, however, were Atlantic. Says my club president who was a boy then, with a keen interest in the new large BMW.

By the way, see what happens when E3 Club members get ideas. This is in Rottach-Egern at the Tegernsee (deep Bavaria). The first two pictures were taken early September 2021, the third is a BMW press photo from spring 1969 (courtesy of BMW Group Classic). Note the licence plates although they are for display only (Granada & Riviera).
HK-BT21-image0.jpeg
HK-BT21-image1.jpeg
HK-BT21-image2.jpeg

Earlier that day our club friends paid another member a visit. Both 2800 from July 1969, the right car being about seven to ten days older. Beltline trim was retrofitted at some time, lots of owners had this done in order to make their sixties E3 look more seventies. (The 2021 pictures come from the BMW E3 Club.)
HK-PA21-image1.jpeg

E3AV

Reaction score
Granada is right. Look at this.
View attachment 129805
This is the first E3 road test in Germany's largest car magazine. They were given a Chamonix 2500, M-CJ177. All pictures in the article show that white car. Except for the cover shoot where they used the Granada M-CJ178, for obvious reasons. A brilliant decision and also that it's on the left lane of a motorway, home territory, so to say. (This picture of the cover found on the web.)

I understand your uneasiness changing your car's colour. To my mind it is perfectly acceptable to go from a more common colour to a less common one that is period correct. Apart from that it is your car so you decide. In this case: Hats off to your and your wive's decision.

Chamonix is a nice colour, too. A huge portion of Series 1 E3 came in Chamonix, not quite exclusive but very fashionable in continental Europe at the time. Most early demonstrators, however, were Atlantic. Says my club president who was a boy then, with a keen interest in the new large BMW.

By the way, see what happens when E3 Club members get ideas. This is in Rottach-Egern at the Tegernsee (deep Bavaria). The first two pictures were taken early September 2021, the third is a BMW press photo from spring 1969 (courtesy of BMW Group Classic). Note the licence plates although they are for display only (Granada & Riviera).
View attachment 129806View attachment 129807View attachment 129808
Earlier that day our club friends paid another member a visit. Both 2800 from July 1969, the right car being about seven to ten days older. Beltline trim was retrofitted at some time, lots of owners had this done in order to make their sixties E3 look more seventies. (The 2021 pictures come from the BMW E3 Club.)
View attachment 129809
Thanks for a great post! Love the pictures :love:
Must say that riviera looks stunning too.

E3AV

Reaction score
I have a couple of question regarding the exterior trim of the early 2800.
What color are the c-pillar grills/vents supposed to be in?
Body color, grey or black?
They will probably continue to be black on mine, but would be interesting to know.
The grills on the hood where all chrome in the early years?
Did the first 2800 have the extra chrome trim on top of the rocker panel/ door sills?

Christoph

Reaction score
Exactly. The 2800 hat a few extra trim parts:
"2800" script in the driver's side front grille;
wheelarch trim (front ones are very delicate, generally hard to find);
wide trim on the outside of sills (2500 narrow);
long chrome panel with spears on top of the sills (spears clamped under front & rear wheelarch trim);
deck trim with rubber inserts (3 front, 2 rear) on top step of the sills;
large bar or handle on rear edge of bootlid.

I'd opt for the C-pillar grilles in body colour. It adds to the car's elegance. The grilles are still visible but not as prominent as contrasting ones. New grilles come in eggshell colour, they have to be painted anyway. Maybe make a sample?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An exceptional job with the body work and paint! :love: . To get a car THAT straight with a dark color on it takes a lot of skill and time. The paint has no visible orange peel as shot. Very tough to accomplish. Congratulations! :cool:

E3AV

Reaction score
Thanks guys Really happy with the result. It’s not perfect, but better than I hoped for since its my first time painting a complete car. There is some slight peel in the finish but its pretty consitent. Got some dust nibs here and there as to expect.
With some cut and buff it will turn out nice I think.
Painted the trunk lid last week.
It turned out really good.
767A08C5-756D-4B2C-9F27-1D6354BD1BDE.jpeg

Next up is the hood

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful!! I'm hoping to be able to get mine to paint stage one day..(I, too, will be painting it myself). I've been stalled for 5 years....this helps motivate! I'm also not sure about color..mine's polaris and there's no way I'm doing it silver...no thanks! I was thinking Aetna Porsche blue or Singer porsche 'oregon' green...it's amazing..