Derby on an E3?

E3AV

Reaction score
This 2002 has been repainted in the same color:
FF14B69D-8C82-48A3-9450-325EC25572B4.jpeg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hell just paint it Ferrari Red, drop a Ferrari carbureted V12 in there (It'll fit), ANSA exhaust, throw some Cromodora's like mine on there and call it a day! I prefer the Granada or darker reds myself if your'e going that route, might as well really attract attention! Throw Yellow Ferrari SF prancing horse stickers on the front fenders and off you go! Just the V12 motor alone will get you pulled over from the noise at idle!

E3AV

Reaction score
Yes single stage. The plan is single stage mixed with 50% clear for the last coat when spraying the exterior.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes single stage. The plan is single stage mixed with 50% clear for the last coat when spraying the exterior.
I considered that when I painted mine but kept it original in the end. The paint supplier said they commonly see two-stage, a clear mix and also just single stage so there doesn't seem to be a "go to" way about it. It's good paint regardless.

Christoph

Reaction score
How could it happen I missed this magnificent post? The exterior colour is the most important thing on a car. Several E3 Club friends are joking on me. Cannot understand why.

#9 - A 1970 2800. Granada, came from Austria to Bavaria, then to the Netherlands. Saw the car two or three years ago at the Sharknose Meeting in Rosmalen, NL.

##25 & 28 - @HB Chris: True. Five colours we have put in the chart are not listed in the ETK: Manila, Tampico, Derby, Caribe, Turf. You find them in the "Farben/colours/couleurs" brochure "12376 30. VIII. 68", issued in August 1968. It was succeeded in November 1968 by "12386 150. XI.68" with all five colours replaced or gone. The whole colour range was available for the whole model range, then. This should mean you could have them during the very first months of 2500 production. Whether or not a car was actually painted like that, the E3 Club does not yet know. Cars from 1968, at least the roughly 2700 E3, seem to have vanished completely.

Without looking, I remember Hellelfenbein 007 and Nachtblau Met. 040 being listend in the ETK. Hellelfenbein was/is the official German Taxi colour (RAL 1015) since the early seventies. There may have been E3 that left the factory as Taxi, unknown to us, which of course means nothing. However the colour was never offered to the public. Neither was Nachtblau, which was a Coupé only colour all its life. You probably know better, but we think it was only ever used in Osnabrück at Karmann, but not in Milbertshofen or elsewhere.

# 30 - The 1969 2800 of my friend Heiko. Riviera. We put it on display on the BMW Clubs stand at the Retro Classics 2019. Beautiful car, runs great, looks amazing. German delivery, why it has rear overriders, nobody knows.

# 31 - A 1971 3.0 S. Bristol. Offered in Bavaria in 2009. Another great colour and an instant buy, unfortunately I had just spent my money on an E3. Has disappeared from view since. Very sad.

# 39 - @E3AV: Nevada is not nice. Actually, it is an anti-colour. Few people chose it. The E3 Club knows five Nevada by VIN and about two more. Mine will hopefully be back one day. Bought the remains only because of the colour.

No green in the recipe. It may seem so depending on viewer and lighting. Just like some people, me, find traces of violet in Sienabraun that are not there.

# 41 - @GolfBavaria: Absolutely right. Bristol looks like primer. But, before using black, BMW actually had some kind of Nevada as primer. Had this explained just a few weeks ago.

# 73 - What an outstandingly beautiful car!

# 76 - @E3AV: Korall?

Christoph

Reaction score
Those five early colors were Neue Klasse paints.
True, but so were Granada, Florida or Chamonix, and they all were available on any other car BMW offered at the time. If not, BMW would mention that, as in the November 1968 brochure: Nachtblau Metallic "Available for BMW coupé-models only" or Colorado "Available for BMW 2002 TI only". In the August 1968 brochure there are no such lines.

Christoph

Reaction score
I have the same booklet. But you couldn’t get them on an e3 or e9 here and not after 1968.
Never thought about it in depth but it must be right. E9 production officially started in 1969, and there were but two E3 USA version cars in 1968. BMW probably knew they would release new colours when they made the August card. Anyway, it it very unusual to replace colour cards after only three months. We will not solve this until a car shows up or somebody may have a look at the works documents.
By the way, don't you think these two brochures are the most beautiful of all, regarding the arrangement of colours?

Christoph

Reaction score
They are lovely colors. My 69 w 2002 was Manila though. Luis had an 1800 in Turf.
Yes, they are. At the 2016 Techno-Classica in Essen the 02 Club showed a Caribe 2000. A club friend had to tell me the name about five times until I could remember. Liked it a lot, the size of the bootlid was also impressive. In 2018 at the Interclassics in Maastricht the Bavaria Club Belgium had a Tampico Neue Klasse. Never seen one before.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tampico and Caribe are incredibly rare here but I have seen both on early 1600s. The books are amazing but not as useful here as we didn’t get all of the interior options.

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
Tampico and Caribe are incredibly rare here but I have seen both on early 1600s. The books are amazing but not as useful here as we didn’t all of the interior options.
Might well be that Tampico, like Nevada, was rare everywhere you look. Quite astounding that BMW discontinued the medium blue and the dark green and replaced them only a year later. You are also right that the 1969 and later booklets with their interior pictures and combination charts are somewhat more helpful. BMW were very quiet about the leather interiors, though. They did not show any before 1973 or so.

E3AV

Reaction score
I came down to 2 color choices at the end. Granada and Chamonix. Actually I decided for Chamonix this summer and bought 2 litres of it to start painting the interior, trunk and engine bay.
Then I changed my mind…:rolleyes:
Both are fine colors in the end.
My wife said: Paint it red and be done with it! :p
Probably will this color choice come back and haunt me some day. Bacause its not the original color of this car..
I have eliminated all traces of polaris all over the car. Some PO has also given some effort here.

I always thought Granada was a 1.series (as mine is) color only.
One of the resons I redecided.
But then I came across this:

Some more Granada(?)

64CB4B48-51B0-45CE-80FD-ED694FB67562.jpeg

82872BEF-CF2B-4F50-B81C-C406B9336CEF.jpeg

I really like the wheel setup on this car. And this would be my first choice for wheels for my car.
Rial Mesh square 16x8" ET11.