Derby on an E3?

E3AV

Reaction score
Did a derby test panel today to get a real life impression.
2k rattle can job.

Out in the sun:
2DAD72AA-2086-4361-86BF-2B7A19A7E430.jpeg

69CF407B-E5CF-4576-8948-2F0E04D71FD7.jpeg

0D0BBE77-DB83-4398-9744-44298A59B944.jpeg

Seems to have a litle green tint as well..

I really like the the color, but I’m still unsure painting the whole car in it.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did a derby test panel today to get a real life impression.
2k rattle can job.
My opinion on this color is based on other things to consider. If you're (anyone) looking at a color that MIGHT look good but you're not sure, you're risking a lot of time and effort (and money) on something you might not like. I've always relied on seeing a factor color on a car that has a color name/code associated with it or seen a custom color on a car that I can get the code/name for. The worst thing that can happen is to put a bunch of time and effort into a paint job that is suppose to make you feel really good and excited when it's done, then end up feeling disappointed.

jmackro

Reaction score
My opinion on this color is based on other things to consider. If you're (anyone) looking at a color that MIGHT look good but you're not sure, you're risking a lot of time and effort (and money) on something you might not like. I've always relied on seeing a factor color on a car that has a color name/code associated with it or seen a custom color on a car that I can get the code/name for.
Once when I was selecting a color to have a car painted, the bodyman advised me to buy a pint of all the colors that interested me, and he would paint a quarter of the car in each of these colors. We were evaluating subtly different shades of red, not black, white, yellow and pink, so he knew he could cover the rejected colors with no difficulty. He said that you'll never appreciate a color until you see it on the car (well, at least one area of the car), which I felt was good advice.

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wouldn't spray an E3 in Nevada if you paid me; unless it came originally in Nevada. Too much like Sahara, doesn't pop like you think in the sun. Yes, it's rare, because nobody wanted it, unlike the safety color cars that have come around now that bright colors or pastels are back "en vogue." I'll say this for the last time, Derby would look awesome on an E3. Your car, your money and time...... do what you want. Of course if it's not Golf, even Derby is just a compromise....... ;)

E3AV

Reaction score
Its a bmw color. Its not used on e3’s, e9’s or 02’s as far as I know. Some e12’s has it. The color has some orange tone in it. Found it hard to capture in pictures.
It isn’t verona but not that dissimilar maybe?

E3AV

Reaction score
No.
It was also available on the e21, e23(maybe), e24, e28 and e30.