Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that really a question? A resounding no..you just got it running! If you take your argument to its logical conclusion, where do you stop? When you're driving around in a 74 Pinto with bald tires and bad plugs? Life is to short to drive shitty cars!
Have you seen the prices of Pinto's lately? LOL....even those are becoming collectible....Collectible POS's yeah, but still a market for them, exploding gas tanks and all..

RE: "frequent dark alleys or German brothels trying to find that illicit dealer of D-jet parts!" Heck, isn't that part of the fun finding old parts?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you seen the prices of Pinto's lately? LOL....even those are becoming collectible....Collectible POS's yeah, but still a market for them, exploding gas tanks and all..

RE: "frequent dark alleys or German brothels trying to find that illicit dealer of D-jet parts!" Heck, isn't that part of the fun finding old parts?
It is until the police raid and you're caught red handed with a "euro-only" green dot MPS and you live in California...Oh, the shame!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that really a question? A resounding no..you just got it running! If you take your argument to its logical conclusion, where do you stop? When you're driving around in a 74 Pinto with bald tires and bad plugs? Life is to short to drive shitty cars!
Agree, I bought my car to enjoy all aspects of ownership: driving, maintaining, gathering with fellow enthusiasts. For me this will not change with market values.

tygaboy

Reaction score
Of course not! I'd never let the tires get ALL the way bald! :p

shanon

Reaction score
It is until the police raid and you're caught red handed with a "euro-only" green dot MPS and you live in California...Oh, the shame!
Hey T, pardon my ignorance, but what's a "a "euro-only" green dot MPS"? Asked the Euro driver in CA ;)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, In the 80's I was driving around in a rusty '74 pinto (wagon) with bald tires and a serious vacuum leak...

When I get my E9 on the road with its fully rebuilt Getrag 5 speed I nicked off ebay with a Buy it Now price of $1200, I will drive it fearlessly albeit with some modern safety upgrades.
I guess I was kind of fearless then too. That's me and the car is reversing down a driveway.

Ian Pinto Surfing.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
He said the close ratio parts are getting hard to get which makes a box that's gone through his process that much more valuable. Including the one in the bat auction...

Strange. IIRC most of the synchros are a 1:1 match with the 262. The input shaft bearing is still available new unlike the 265/6.

Mine is sitting in a tub waiting to ship. I suppose I should jump on it now that all spare 265’s will be headed his way.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey T, pardon my ignorance, but what's a "a "euro-only" green dot MPS"? Asked the Euro driver in CA ;)
Well, with all due respect - if you don't know what a euro-spec, green dot MPS is then you may not meet the stringent and quite expensive club dues, for the Broken Hearted and Financially Eviscerated, D-jet owners club.... It's quite extensive but we try to keep on the DL.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Strange. IIRC most of the synchros are a 1:1 match with the 262. The input shaft bearing is still available new unlike the 265/6.

Mine is sitting in a tub waiting to ship. I suppose I should jump on it now that all spare 265’s will be headed his way.
My 265/5 is sitting on a dolly awaiting cleanup at the very least. It worked in my car before disassembly, but I never really drove it enough to know if it is in good condition or ready for some rework. I am assuming there are people somewhere in the Midwest that can work on this transmission - or is Pete of Pete's Gear Shop worth the shipping to CA and back (which would probably cost as much as another 265/5)?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 265/5 is sitting on a dolly awaiting cleanup at the very least. It worked in my car before disassembly, but I never really drove it enough to know if it is in good condition or ready for some rework. I am assuming there are people somewhere in the Midwest that can work on this transmission - or is Pete of Pete's Gear Shop worth the shipping to CA and back (which would probably cost as much as another 265/5)?
You obviously haven't priced CR doglegs lately ;)

shanon

Reaction score
Well, with all due respect - if you don't know what a euro-spec, green dot MPS is then you may not meet the stringent and quite expensive club dues, for the Broken Hearted and Financially Eviscerated, D-jet owners club.... It's quite extensive but we try to keep on the DL.
10-4, yeah, not a member of the Jet-set club, long time Weber member ;)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
shipping to CA and back
If you just send the box and not the bell housing, I’ll bet it is about $50 each way via FedEx ground or UPS. Call it $120 to cover a nice double layer cardboard box, and it’s still only 1/30th the cost of the transmission.

John

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you just send the box and not the bell housing, I’ll bet it is about $50 each way via FedEx ground or UPS. Call it $120 to cover a nice double layer cardboard box, and it’s still only 1/30th the cost of the transmission.

John

I bought one of those small black home depot latch bins. Black with red latches. Forgot my measurements so made an emergency call to @HB Chris. He accidentally forgot to mention the input shaft length but it still fit diagonally. Thanks Pythagoras!

Will definitely line with thin plywood and cardboard before sending off. I will also screw the lid shit with little machine screws.

There is enough room to pad the input shaft and the tail housing. Picture is deceiving. This bin is quite small.
07618025-7BD2-45E7-B943-4D890FD42371.jpeg

Edit: Perspective
F7812B9B-15D7-4851-BBA2-16A83D7F9A7D.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought one of those small black home depot latch bins. Black with red latches. Forgot my measurements so made an emergency call to @HB Chris. He accidentally forgot to mention the input shaft length but it still fit diagonally. Thanks Pythagoras!

Will definitely line with thin plywood and cardboard before sending off. I will also screw the lid shit with little machine screws.

There is enough room to pad the input shaft and the tail housing. Picture is deceiving. This bin is quite small.

I shipped a transmission like this a few years ago (in a larger bin), except I added a piece of plywood the size of the bottom of the box and strapped the tranny down so it could not move fore and/or aft.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I shipped two steel wheels in a box to KY with FedEx ground account that I have, around $60, no way that trans would ship for $50.