123 Distributor failures from oil?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary, this is a great investigation you are pursuing. I'm guessing milling the oil scroll on the shaft may not be a simple or inexpensive mod. Curious to see what your brother says.

By the way, this is a common technique to keep oil out in lieu of a seal. Seen here in the Citroen 2CV engine on the camshaft where it simply sits on the case without any bushing or seal and it effectively keeps oil from escaping.

IMG_8511_LI.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's the shaft of the 123 after my brother did the heli coil work on it.
There are actually 2 lines on the BMW shaft. One groove starts and goes around a couple times then stops. A little space and groove starts again.
It will be a while till I can test this.
Ed at 123 was very interested in what we did.

Attachments

• IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3389.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 159

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Gary. Ray Koke in Savannah has suggested 123 also do the machining as you've done. May your efforts be more successful.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have some news about 123 dist shafts.

If you have had this problem 123 in Ohio has had a few shafts modified.

No mention of how any remedy of existing units with the oil problem would be handled.

I have done my dist shaft but still don't have my motor running again so I can't give a report as to how effective this "fix" will be.
Here are photos of shaft done by 123 in Ohio. Ed is the US rep for 123.
If you have any questions please let me know and I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

BTW if you have had problems with oil contaminating the electronics of your dist please let me know.
Trying to find out some estimate of how widespread this is?
Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• 20210204_141057.jpg
    20210204_141057.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210204_141122.jpg
    20210204_141122.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 122

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So far no problem with mine but, preventative medicine is always a good idea.
Please keep us informed.
Perhaps a group buy?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm only the messenger.
Since I took the initiative to research this problem he has been in contact with me.
In fact I sent him a Bosch dist shaft to give to his machinist to see how it was done after my brother did one for me on his lathe. Photos in thread above.

Also there is some skill involved in swapping this out. A new brass bushing should be installed and a seal inside the dist housing. Ed or I have those part numbers but removing the brass bushing is a little tricky. The seal is a special order item not found on popular sites like McMaster. The seal is basically a small version of a crankshaft or cam seal. Even has the little spring.

I think he is reserving these for people with chronic problems. Oil in your distributor.
It's happened to me twice over 5+ years. I know it happened to Andrew. I also know the 2002 guys have had the same problem and I have not posted this yet on 2002 FAQ but will.
I know he only made a few and this idea is still not indorsed by 123 corporate in England.
If you have to have one contact Ed.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary - thanks a ton for posting the follow up about this. I have not had the problems you and Andrew have experienced, but I appreciate being aware of this issue, and the potential fix.

shanon

Reaction score
Yes, +1, thx Gary for the info.

FWIW, I have not experienced any issues with my recent 123 install, it seems to work great. However, I had only put about 400-500 miles on it before parking it for 'other reasons'....ugh.

Question: how many miles were acquired before noticing 'issues' ?!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, +1, thx Gary for the info.

FWIW, I have not experienced any issues with my recent 123 install, it seems to work great. However, I had only put about 400-500 miles on it before parking it for 'other reasons'....ugh.

Question: how many miles were acquired before noticing 'issues' ?!

My engine had 8000 miles on it with the first use. Over 4 years.
Rebuilt car and parts of engine then had failure. Sent to 123 charged me $250 to rebuild.
Put back in and drove less than 1000 miles and failed again.
That's when I did the research about the shaft.
I worked with them and they sent me a whole new circuit board that I installed myself.
BTW my motor is almost a race motor. Very modded.
Not sure it that has anything to do with it but actually needed the 123 for max performance.
So stuck out the research and process to get back.
HTH