• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

1969 2800 E3 - Bringing "The White Car" back to life!

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've done some body work over the years but not enough to be efficient. I'm patient with it because I know I'm not good at it. My biggest problem is, I buy cars all day every day and my eye is trained to find flaws, so I can't walk up to any car without seeing every ding, paint mismatch, incorrect gap, you name it. I can spot bad body work from 50 feet away. It sucks. LOL
Then I’m glad we are so far away from each other!!! Lololol

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I found out why E3's always rust in the same spot on the rear wheel arch. The sealer used in the trunk between the inner structure and outer skin retains moisture and leads to rust. Maybe this is common knowledge but I always thought it was a strange place for rust.

Attachments

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes! Even though the points that we're already in the distributor adjusted fine with a dwell meter I replaced them and it fixed the misfire. Engine purrs now. Awesome, now I can move on.

I roughed out the body work on the damaged side but ran out of welding wire when working on the rust repair. More wire on the way.

Starting to think about the suspension now. The struts will need adapter plates since I'm using a system from a Lexus. @Mike Goble has some front spindles that I can modify and I should be able to install the whole system with very little or no mods to the car.

Attachments

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
More body work. Stripped the rear of the car and will paint the trunk at the same time as the exterior. I'm amazed at how straight and solid this car is...

Attachments

Markos

Parts Hoarder
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@dang,

You are such a humble guy. You are one handy multifaceted dude and your skills are impressive!

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some progress but it's body work so it's slow. I keep flopping back and forth but decided to finish the car completely before working on the air suspension. It's apart so I might as well finish body work and paint now.

I did my first metal patch on the rear wheel well. It's not great but I'm okay with it. I should've cut a little more out since the lower portion blew though in some places when I starting welding. You can see the cluster in the first photo. The quarter panel was the worst panel on the car since basically the entire panel was damaged and had the rust area. It's trying my patience. I'm starting to see positive steps forward so it's helping my motivation. I'm also continuing around the car and fixing/filling problem areas so it's coming together, I'm actually starting to think about getting the paint for the exterior soon!

Attachments

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
More patch work. I did the other wheel well and now working on the hood. Both areas in front right behind the leading edge rusted but the rest of the hood is really solid. Strange. This will be glazed before finish sanding, almost ready for paint.

Attachments

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been doing so much metal and body work that I got impatient and wanted to see more progress. I prepped the underside of the hood and painted it. I feel better now. :) I also only have enough paint to do the underside of the hood and decklid anyway. This photo was taken with fresh paint and it laid down pretty good after drying.

Attachments

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Underside of decklid painted. No rust issues at all on the decklid. Prepping the hood and decklid now and will continue on with the exterior panels but I need to get more paint. Any guesses on how much for the exterior?

Attachments