1969 2800 E3 - Bringing "The White Car" back to life!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's happened to me before also. It just means a little more sanding. You can use a Hutchins Water Bug if you want to shorten the process. They are a little expensive ($300 or so) for those of us that aren't painting a bunch of cars, but maybe borrow one from a friend?

Congrats on getting the color on! :cool: That's a real classic color for an E3. The body looks straight as an arrow. Nice work.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The body looks straight as an arrow. Nice work.
I'd say it's "okay". There are some areas that need to be fixed, a few low spots I couldn't see without it shiny, and the body line crease that goes from the taillight to the wheel opening has a small dip in one spot. On the bright side, with single stage paint it's a lot easier to fix body work. I expected to fix some areas after painting.

Last edited:

kkro

Reaction score
It's painted! But I'm not that thrilled with how it went on. The first coat went on great, very smooth, but when I started the second coat something was wrong with the gun and the material wasn't coming out right. I had a full cup of paint with hardner in the gun so I kept going and tried to adjust the way I painted to make it work but it ended up very "rough". I've never had a problem between coats so I'm not sure what happened otherthan a blockage somewhere in the nozzle. I did a quick cleaning of the gun before the next coat and it went on great again. The damage was done though and that translates into a LOT more clean up sanding.

The last image shows the front fender sanded and one pass with cutting compound. You can see how rough the rest of the side panels are.
Very impressive work in my opinion. Congratulations with this great milestone. Looking forward to see the completed car. Keep posting.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still sanding and cutting...

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_171118230.jpg
    IMG_20200919_171118230.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20200921_181554627.jpg
    IMG_20200921_181554627.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 246

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Peter, my delicate eyes wince whenever I read the word "turd" applied to the Great White or whatever you may want to call this beauty in the rough. The expression, "You can't polish a Turd" certainly does not apply to this survivor. Just a gentle thought. Steve

Well, with enough effort, you can actually polish a 'turd'. Proved by the Myth Busters.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two Videos. Dan, your daughter is a pro. As for the video about polishing a turd, I will respectfully pass. I'd rather spend the time watching Dan's paint dry.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been doing a little work on the car but nothing to show yet. I got the hood prop out to see if I could figure what's wrong with it and found one of end caps had deformed where it holds the torsion rod. As luck would have it, I had a 2002 prop rod sitting in storage and the end caps are the same. Easy fix! Still need to paint and install though.

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_133350054.jpg
    IMG_20201025_133350054.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 205

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You need some Cibies, Marchals or even flat Hellas if you will be driving at night!
I'm pretty sure I have some somewhere. Right now I'm trying to get it roadworthy and checking that everything works. Not much time spent on it lately.