1970 2800CS restosortof

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since the term restomod is kind of out these days I will refrain from using. The fact is that I am finishing a restoration and modifying the car to my tastes. My car started as a very nice original car that was repainted (not very well ) and maintenance has been kept up with somewhat. My build is to remove engine, suspension, interior, and trim and start from the bottom up. Until I had most of the parts rounded up I did some minor fixes so I could drive the car and get some enjoyment out of it for a few months before the disassemble. 1st pic is the car as I bought it. I did the CSL style stripe with no logo, lowering springs, Alpina style 16" staggered wheels, A 635CSi style from air dam and started fixing all of the non working items. In the next few weeks the front suspension, rear subframe and drive train is coming out to replace the engine/trans combo with an S38/5speed and powder coat cross members, arms, link, etc. Also removing complete interior in favor of Blood Red leather at the same time. Here is how she sits today.

Attachments

• 198241.jpg
    198241.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 1214171633.jpg
    1214171633.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 682

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to your updates Gary! based on what I’ve seen of your other project vehicles, this is going to end very well!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looking very good Gary ... so i presume that your 635 style air dam came from Coupeguy? or is somebody else making them? let us know how your install went and if there were any issues and what you had to do to correct them. i have this style of airdam on my coupe and have had good luck with it.

so what did you do with the original wheels / XWX tires? i have a faint memory that you put them up for sale. if this is correct, did you sell them? if not, what do you want for them?

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
looking very good Gary ... so i presume that your 635 style air dam came from Coupeguy? or is somebody else making them? let us know how your install went and if there were any issues and what you had to do to correct them. i have this style of airdam on my coupe and have had good luck with it.

so what did you do with the original wheels / XWX tires? i have a faint memory that you put them up for sale. if this is correct, did you sell them? if not, what do you want for them?
Yes the air dam came from coupeguy. Fiberglass work is terrible, fit was just ok with the front fender wrap around being off 1/4" on one side. Needed about 5 hours of prep work before painting.
I do like the look though. Kind of a mix of old and new and follows the fender line well.

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is the engine that will be going in. Currently in my M5. Car is nice, but not too nice to remove the drivetrain and part out the rest. leather came yesterday, still no door cards though. World upholstery is having a hard time getting the embossing finished by their supplier.

Attachments

• 1229171311a_HDR.jpg
    1229171311a_HDR.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 641
  • 1230171148.jpg
    1230171148.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 597

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Letting them get to know one another before allowing them to breed..

Attachments

• 0104181052_HDR.jpg
    0104181052_HDR.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 585
  • 1229171311a_HDR.jpg
    1229171311a_HDR.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 634

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Been a while sine I posted any updates to my build, but it has been coming along slowly so I wait until there is some progress before reporting.... Finally finished with the exterior with refinished chrome bumpers with no light or license plate holes, polished and re-anodized all aluminum, all new rubber bumper parts including over riders, new window felts inside and out, refinished headlight grills, and center kidney grill. Door panels installed with correct BMW pattern embossing, and straightened, polished and anodized interior trim and re-chromed door handles, and inner belt moldings. I left off the door pockets for now because it looks so clean. May add them later. Cad plated all hardware including headlight buckets, etc. Everything that comes off is powdercoated, cad plated, anodized, chromed or polished. Door sills look awesome with just polishing. Also finally mounted my Nardi 380 wheel with Alpina button, new carpets with insulation, and freshly re-done console sides. Will get Markos AC vents installed tomorrow, just waiting on correct screws.

Attachments

• 0410181220.jpg
    0410181220.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 648
  • 0410181247.jpg
    0410181247.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 0119181339.jpg
    0119181339.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 622
  • 0409181716.jpg
    0409181716.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 0121181547.jpg
    0121181547.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
No, Cad #1 plating. My friends shop in Texas still does #1 and #2, or chromate conversion(yellow)

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Waiting on re-chromed tail light bezels so I can install some new Stan lenses as well. Seats should be completed in this next week so hopefully I can drive it for a few weeks before doing the engine swap and subframe restoration.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your coupe looks outstanding! Love the red and, of course, I love the air dam. It looks like you did a great job on the installation, not the easiest to do.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blue was original, but I picked a shade darker than OEM red for the interior. The interior came from World Upholstery including door cards.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Red wasn't the original color, correct? I'd also like to go red with mine. Where did you find red door cards?

Red was an original color, perhaps not on Gary’s car. You can’t buy new red door cards. You can buy new black ones. You can spray those or your existing ones red. A lot of people go with custom upholstery. You still need to spray the weave pattern above the armrest, or change it out to something different.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
WH did a decent job recreating the door cards in the color of my picking. The embossing process took months to get done correctly and other than a few minor issues went on as expected. I am still waiting on the seats to be finished. I started this interior build in January with WH. Next time, I would go to my interior shop in Costa Mesa and have them do the whole job.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting closer on the interior. Made a new package tray in black leather today and set the rear seats in. I have the front bottoms, but the tops were not patterned correctly, so they needed to be redone to fit. Dash is finished for now. When I find the right radio, I will repair the dash and that part will be finished.

Attachments

• 0521181347.jpg
    0521181347.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 599
  • 0521181423.jpg
    0521181423.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 653

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary,

Shoot me a message if you need an unmolested AC face plate for the new radio.

Your interior looks great. Thank you for tucking the lower front seats! ;)