1971 2800 Sahara

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, indeed it is. A real butchery. i could fix it, but it wouldn't be or look very good. May be a job for someone more experienced with metal and welds.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
got carried away on this today.
284F52C9-F8ED-445E-A4E7-1F27D39CDB46.JPG

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Keep up the good work!

Let me know if you'd like the lights to sparkle and shine like the rest of the car... I'll shoot you an email in a bit.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finished interior, trunk, engine bay, rear tail light receptacles, well basically the entire chassis. Two cans of encapsulator in rockers and other hidden holes.
I have to admit, after sanding the primer, it came out fairly nice. Still requires minor body work on the rear fender well and headlight buckets attached, but I
repaired most everything else.
Interior was a PITA, but after priming, I likely did not have go at so hard.Hell, it's going to be painted and covered with sound insulation and CARPETED!
Will never use POR 15 liquid again (just too messy, Maybe better to spray it) but their Patch, Filler and Sam Sealer is a great product,if pricey. Spreads easily
with rubber gloved finger, converts rust, fills small holes and seams and dries hard as a rock. (very difficult to sand so best for the non-show locations.

IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0491.JPG

09CFF7A4-7157-4795-8840-344D739FEE8F.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
57BA7452-3005-451E-9AD5-3011F5998CE5.JPG
5B7E0549-EAA1-41DE-BCB4-DCF76A7C6486.JPG
7C68C4B3-DF17-481B-B19D-3880F6658E8C.JPG

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Been sorting parts and all the hardware from the zinc plater. Wonder where all those washers and bolt go? Did get something back together. Car came with a front stabilizer, fortunate as I can't find them anywhere as a set. Guess I will reuse the wimpy rear one.
A55A4CFF-DD56-40EE-96F1-32858A86EE0F.JPG

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
awesome progress, but if you're going to go through all that work, I'd put in a factory-looking rear spare tire well in.

57ba7452-3005-451e-9ad5-3011f5998ce5-jpg.149696

W&N sells them.

1675185399283.png

Those looking at six figure E9s that have been restored want EVERYTHING to be perfect if you know what I mean.

Christoph

Reaction score
Really should have come here earlier. This E3 will be shining from every angle. And you are really fast.

Some comments on previous posts:
The lateral front grilles are not chromed but two-tone painted. The horizontal slats are light to medium grey, zinc primer is not perfect but comes near. The vertical slats are black. Fun job to tape them before applying the grey paint. The silver-grey grilles give the E3 Series 1 their typical look.
Series 1 dashboards are always three pieces. On Series 2 & 3 the cover over the instrument cluster is integrated, except for RHD cars.
The fuel filler lid is completely painted in exterior colour, including the spring.
The front stabiliser bar improves handling, good thing. Front bars became standard with the appearance of Series 2. Rear bars were standard only on the 2800 Series 1, then optional for some time, then dropped. Your car needs the rear bar because of originality. Prepare for a tendency to lift off the inner wheel in narrow corners.
Grilles on the C-pillar were painted in exterior colour from the factory.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m glad that was clarified. I was quite confused. I thought you were trying to tell me that I didn’t have an original spare tire well.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t know how to do that thing where you referenced the previous persons post, so I’m replying to Kristoff and his suggestions and observations.
First, the grills to my inexperienced eye, and referring specifically to the chrome/zinc, part were unsalvageable and I had no idea how to replicate the silver. Redone the chrome surround, but primed the grills black. Not to say, I can’t go back and redo it to make it silver, but it looks like a lot of work I am not sure I have the expertise. Would like to keep them silver, but I didn’t see an option,, and the latter ones were black.
Secondly, the dash was in fact three pieces. It was a disaster, so I have sourced a very nice one piece or later Dash thanks to Dick very early on in the process.
Third, it was always my intention to have the fuel filter cover painted, I was just very unclear on the spring part, which I have since had zinc plated, which might look nice, or I can just paint it.
Fourth, I will replace the rear stabilizer with the one that came with the car, but I have also installed a large front stabilizer, which also came with the car in the trunk. A nice find.
And last, the horizontal grills that came to the car were black. You’re in good shape but I bought some new ones anyway from WN as they were not expensive. I understand your saying they should be painted the same color as the car, correct?