1973 3.0 CS - 35K miles

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, I love vynil. It lasts forever, does not require any care, and I believe that is the way it was configured in most of Europe which is where these came from. We remove side markers and bumpers to make these car look Euro, yet for the seats our butts demand leather? I swear my butt cannot tell the difference.
I am about to spend 1600 to redo my E24 leather sports seats, I wish they were not leather and I could have saved that money.

As for the automatic, sure, but that is such a starightforward upgrade and you end up with 5 speed...

No offense intended but possibly the car hasn't sold because the seller is ambivalent about selling in the first place. The posts about finding a buyer that values stock or he will modify the car forever are neat if you read them in the game theory context: "A way to make threats credible is to employ the adventuresome strategy of brinkmanship—deliberately creating a risk that if other players fail to act as you would like them to, the outcome will be bad for everyone."

I would love to follow the outcome and see how this works.

Great thread. Apologize if this sounds like a rant, it is not, plain fun.

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
While not quite as beautiful as my Dino Spyder the E9 is one of the most beautiful Coupes of the 1970s era...

The E9 styling for some might be in the same iconic class as the Ferraris Coupes like the Daytona, 330GTC...

As far as being a "drivers car" I totally disagree...

The standard E9 (2800CS and 3.0CS) are very comfortable GT (Grand Touring) cars even considered a great road car but definitely not a "drivers car" from the era... The standard E9 like my 2800CS (4 speed) is sedate and under powered in stock form... The CSL is a whole different story!

A "drivers car" from the early 1970s would be more like a Dino, Daytona, 911E/S, E-Type, 914/6, CSL, Aston Martin etc...

The standard E9 is more in the class of the Mercedes 280SL or SE Coupe, Jag XJ6s, Jensens, Ferrari 400i etc which are all great European (GT) road cars.

My CSi has been upgraded with a 3.5, is Lowered, has Bilsteins, a 5 speed, 7" wheels, big brakes, Limited slip etc etc and the car is much closer to being a true drivers car after having these extensive mods but is still not quite there... Maybe I need to add some lightness...

I think we can all agree with your reason for owning four coupes!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plus one on vinyl

The vinyl in older BMW and Mercedes cars is generally of very high quality and LASTS. Too bad Hoffman didn't agree, but back then he had no way of knowing how durable the vinyl would turn out to be compared with leather.

Hmmm, I love vynil. It lasts forever, does not require any care, and I believe that is the way it was configured in most of Europe which is where these came from. We remove side markers and bumpers to make these car look Euro, yet for the seats our butts demand leather? I swear my butt cannot tell the difference.
I am about to spend 1600 to redo my E24 leather sports seats, I wish they were not leather and I could have saved that money.

As for the automatic, sure, but that is such a starightforward upgrade and you end up with 5 speed...

No offense intended but possibly the car hasn't sold because the seller is ambivalent about selling in the first place. The posts about finding a buyer that values stock or he will modify the car forever are neat if you read them in the game theory context: "A way to make threats credible is to employ the adventuresome strategy of brinkmanship—deliberately creating a risk that if other players fail to act as you would like them to, the outcome will be bad for everyone."

ny30cs

Reaction score
Market Value

You all bring very valid points to this conversation. There are several factors that have to be taken into consideration. While Hagerty and SCML offer their opinions based on recent e Bay or auction sales as to the value of these cars, they don't see all of them or sales that might influence the market. We have sold at least 10 cars recently for well over what has been posted here or seen on e Bay. Some have been original, some modified and some with 4 or 5 speeds and some with automatics! This is a very personal and emotional purchase. People react differently to every car. We have a 74 E9 currently that has been modified. I would have bet the farm that it would have been sold by now but have been surprised. There are those of us who want only the original cars and then those of us who want what excecmalibu has described as an updated, restomod, performance enhanced example. To each his or her own. That is what makes this particular car so amazing! Yes, there is a move to restore 911's or 356's to their original form because they are worth so much at this point. A stock 911E or 911S was an amazing car to drive from new. The E9's were more or a cruiser but modified slightly, they become SO MUCH more enjoyable to drive. It is personal! Do you want a garage queen, a show car, a race car, a back road great handling sports car? All answers are correct! It depends on YOU. These cars are truly unusual. Lots of people come to this sight for guidance. They listen to all you have to say. There are some incredibly knowledgeable owners on this sight. What we have to do is to support them and let them know that this car can be enjoyed in any form! There is no right or wrong. The market dictating that cars such as Ferrari or Porsche must be as they left the factory is such BS. That's not to say that some modification are not incredibly distasteful. But done with period correct or current tasteful enhancements, they too can be enjoyed. If you are looking to buy a car that is an investment, there are many choices out there. There is also gold, diamond and stocks. I say buy them and do as you please........Too many weenies out there telling me the tail lamp chrome trim on my 356 isn't correct.........DON'T BUY IT.......Find another. But man does it look good and run like a beast!!!

execmalibu

Reaction score
Mark NY30CS... OH NO! The chrome on my 62 TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER is wrong?

Mark,

You say there is a possibility that the chrome on my 1962 Twin Grille Roadster taillights is wrong?

Lucky for me the 356 Originality Police have not investigated me... YET!

OH Sh!t what am I going to do? I sure hope that they don't check the dates on all five (5) of my Rudge Wheels because I think the spare might be dated two months earlier in 1961 then the other four wheels?

I am going to hide the original Rudge Hammer because there is evidence that it was actually used to remove a spinner during the past 55 years... Good thing they don't know about the Carrera GT seats,GT 80 liter Gas Tank or Carrera 2 Teak steering wheel that I installed 30 years ago!

Will I be spared if I admit that my 1957 Speedster did not leave the factory in 1957 with Rudge Wheels... And if I were ever to admit that I have a 1957 engine rat holed because there is a built 356-SC engine in my Speedster with a Carrera gearbox (BBEA/LS) I think that I would probably be shot by the 356 originality POLICE....

Knowing my 356 is not 100% original I think that if I were to get back the $4,500 I paid for my Twin Grille Roadster in 1982 that I would be very happy not to have lost any money:shock:...

Attachments

• 62 ROADSTER.jpg
    62 ROADSTER.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Speedster.jpg
    Speedster.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 132
  • 72.JPG
    72.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

ny30cs

Reaction score
Mark,

You say there is a possibility that the chrome on my 1962 Twin Grille Roadster taillights is wrong?

Lucky for me the 356 Originality Police have not investigated me... YET!

OH Sh!t what am I going to do? I sure hope that they don't check the dates on all five (5) of my Rudge Wheels because I think the spare might be dated two months earlier in 1961 then the other four wheels?

I am going to hide the original Rudge Hammer because there is evidence that it was actually used to remove a spinner during the past 55 years... Good thing they don't know about the Carrera GT seats,GT 80 liter Gas Tank or Carrera 2 Teak steering wheel that I installed 30 years ago!

Will I be spared if I admit that my 1957 Speedster did not leave the factory in 1957 with Rudge Wheels... And if I were ever to admit that I have a 1957 engine rat holed because there is a built 356-SC engine in my Speedster with a Carrera gearbox (BBEA/LS) I think that I would probably be shot by the 356 originality POLICE....

Knowing my 356 is not 100% original I think that if I were to get back the $4,500 I paid for my Twin Grille Roadster in 1982 that I would be very happy not to have lost any money:shock:...

I'm going to do you a HUGE favor. I'll take all those ratty old VW's.....errrrrr Porsches off your hands and give you $5,000 MORE than what you paid for them on each and every one of them. Hell, I won't even inspect them......

I hope you have those original wheels. Those spin off Rudge wheels are a pain in the ass to take off.
Seriously, gotta let me know if you ever decide to sell any of them!!! I'm first in line.......:grin::grin:

execmalibu

Reaction score
Mark... Lucky for me I was able to dump a few other cars with knockoff wheels...

A $5,000 Profit?

I don't want to be greedy and take advantage, it is bad karma... so I will pass

I also decided that any car that you were forced to use a hammer to remove the wheels was not worth owning...

I was very lucky to be able to pawn off a few of those crappy cars with those wheels... I know the new owners really hate those cars...

427 COBRA-CSX3127... 330GTS-9299...67 ETYPE.... 365GTB/4 DAYTONA

Attachments

• Cobra.jpg
    Cobra.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Ferrari_330_GTS.jpg
    Ferrari_330_GTS.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Craigs Jag Dark Blue.jpg
    Craigs Jag Dark Blue.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

My first 3.0CS (1972 Canadian model), which I bought in 1988 had a black vinyl interior. During the whole time I owned it, it gnawed on me that it was not fitted with leather from the factory. I pined for a nice leather interior so much that in 1989, I drove up to Seattle from San Francisco non stop to check out a leather interior that was advertised in the old CS Register. Sadly, I did not not meet my expectation and drove back to SF the next day.

My present 72 coupe had its original leather interior changed out to a custom cloth seats by the second owner back in the 1980's. While nice, it will be changed back to a high quality and aromatic leather interior probably within the next half a year or so.

The vinyl driver seat's piping was cut in several areas on my old CS and they were constantly poking into my thighs, which got very irritating and uncomfortable (especially when wearing shorts). Also, the hounds-tooth patterned (same pattern as upper door card) seating area on the vinyl seats was not very attractive in my opinion, as a matter of fact, I kind of hated it.

calshamus

Reaction score
...possibly the car hasn't sold because the seller is ambivalent about selling in the first place...game theory context: the outcome will be bad for everyone.

Arde, I take it you haven't watched the video where I'm trying to pound a screwdriver through the inner fender where a small chip of paint flaked off/cracked over the sealer, showing a 1/8" piece of surface rust, for a prospective buyer. haha

I know your jesting but I'm certainly not ambivalent, I know it's worth saving, I know it should be preserved, I'm resolute about it, without any vacillation.

Furthermore, I believe the asking price is reasonable, especially after driving it for a number of weeks problem-free including a 1000 mile trip (and by some small miracle no ass rash from the hounds-tooth vinyl seats thank God ;-)), also taking into consideration the cars I've inspected recently, in their various states of completeness, at their asking prices. I've even thrown out trading as a serious option. So, doing the math - I'm not being greedy, I'm flexible, all pictures/videos requested by prospective buyers are posted for everyone to see - completely transparent. Easy Math, I've positioned this to end *good* for everyone involved.

It's true that I'm not excited about having to buckle up again and put all the time, phone calls, emails, research, money, and effort into finding a good E9 at a fair price somewhere in North America. Imagine giving up your car and having to find another? uhuh that's what I thought. Good times!

Just as a note, I contacted BAT per a member suggestion and they're interested in listing the car. I have a couple of forum guys serious now, one for cash, another for trade/cash. I'll probably go the BAT route if things linger, but hopefully it goes to a good home here somewhere with an enthusiast.

As for eBay, they can take their $50 weekly posting fee and take a flying leap...screw eBay those greedy basTARDS! Viva La Craigslist!

Shawn

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would hate looking for another one now that I have bonded with mine. Exec has me thinking I should sell most of my other unused cars and buy a 911.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Nicad 911s are a bad investment. The 911S on ebay had 85 bids SOLD $187,500!!!

NEWS FLASH!!! The 1973 911S SOLD off of ebay for $187,5000!!!!

The bidding for the blue 1973 911S on ebay was going absolutely crazy... There were 85 bids and the car had quickly bid up to $144,000 and there was still another two days left... The seller ended the auction rumors are the car sold for $187,500 to a dealer...

Plus as everyone knows on ebay the real serious bidding starts just a few minutes before the very end of the auction... So who knows what would have happened?

Based upon the amazingly active bid activity I would have guessed that the bids will reach $165,000-$175,000. I was WRONG!!! The CAR SOLD FOR $187,5000!

Also I should point out that whenever an E9 is listed on ebay there are literally thousands of hits on the auction. Thats what the number at the bottom of the auction is for to tell how many different people have looked at the auction... Last week two actions ended a Malaga 74 E9 and a Polaris 72... The Malaga car had 1,740 people check out the auction and the Polaris car had 1,460... So there are obviously a huge number of people that might be interested and/or watching E9s but they just are NOT bidding or buying E9s....

BTW some wrote that the E9 is rare... Wrong... They built over 30,000 E9s which is about the same for all years of the 911s...

What is very sad is that this VERY NICE 1973 3.0CS is having TROUBLE bringing only 18% of the Porsches value.... Damn shame!:cry:

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a crazy postage stamp price. Makes no sense to me and would actually detract from my ownership pleasure. Give me the fake Hemi Cuda (as an example...I don't actually want one)) I am quite taken by the fake Porsche RS currently on BAT. I think a build like that will be my next car. I'd like to pick some of the locals ideas on how you can put together a cost effective fun Porsche...maybe in Off Topic.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also I should point out that whenever an E9 is listed on ebay there are literally thousands of hits on the auction. Thats what the number at the bottom of the auction is for to tell how many different people have looked at the auction... Last week two actions ended a Malaga 74 E9 and a Polaris 72... The Malaga car had 1,740 people check out the auction and the Polaris car had 1,460... So there are obviously a huge number of people that might be interested and/or watching E9s but they just are NOT bidding or buying E9s....

Actually, what you are referring to is the number of times the page is viewed not the number of people viewing it. Sometimes it makes a big difference, sometimes not.

Dan

execmalibu

Reaction score
Dan I think that you are wrong? Try looking a the same page twice...

It use to be the number of separate IP addresses (people) that looked at the auction...

Maybe it has changed but if I looked at an ebay auction multiple times the number did not change...

I just Confirmed this on both a watch I am watching and an old Triumph Motorcycle when I looked at the item twice the number did not change... Logged off and came back...

Last edited:

calshamus

Reaction score
Well I put it up on eBay today to see what happens. In a week I'm done with all this back and forth. I'm either going to be in the market for another car or all the bits for a 5 speed conversion, or quite possibly an M6 to change out the whole drive-train.