1981 Golf Gti Resto

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
So the main reason why work is so slow on the E9 is that currently, it's still a secondary project until the first gets finished up. it's an original, relatively standard 1.6 Series 1 1/2 GTi, making a whopping 110bhp, from factory. Engine has been breathed on by TSR ( a popular VW tuning company over here in the 80s, and still around I believe) and has raised compression, high lift cam, raised rev limiter and ported head. Power in the region of 130-140bhp, which in an 800kg car gives a very healthy power to weight ratio.

Dad owned this since '91, his daily until 00/01 when he picked up a 16V mk2 GTi and this was put into storage along with the coupe. Originally, the corrosion was just meant to be near the OSR subframe mount. Things weren't that simple, and still aren't!

Welding is nearly finished now with some engine work now looming. Once the bodywork is done that engine will be coming out for a complete rebuild as well as some more goodies.

RASKuRJ.jpg

5N68v0a.jpg

huyOzpO.jpg

Come 2014, time to take it home!
14 years of dust cleaned up off it
WNNQ7eh.jpg

oPH2F5m.jpg

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back at base, the fun can begin.

Vdkgq7y.jpg

Xa2CNEb.jpg

Picked up some BBS RM012s and refurbed them
lu5HM30.jpg

HHAP1lt.jpg

zcosTZj.jpg

Inner wings rotten, signs of accident damage
U8yDLsE.jpg

3Z9OlcJ.jpg

Welding sorted on the roof
Xh4Ri65.jpg

mN0ArJX.jpg

VLOW68i.jpg

Inner wing repair panels made by hand. Primed, stonechipped and ready for paint. No photos of the metal work i'm afraid!

jXdPGMv.jpg

5UJFghB.jpg

Some rust on the scuttle and pillars cut, welded and painted up.

tuyfLzp.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
fwmOzAu.jpg

TyTWUfB.jpg

Some rather major issues brought to light with the rear beam removed.

Yj6Nv2N.jpg

RkMONhq.jpg

Subframe mounts on the O/S looking less than optimal.
8jMAG2Y.jpg

Quick tug of the osr seatbelt revealed this...
3Uc23gv.jpg

hKNis2e.jpg

Subframe mounts reinforced and new panel in place
j2WaK5f.jpg

New seats
XCq6lT9.jpg

iDDsOTu.jpg

After a bit of love and leather filler and paint
UYhJeww.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Inner arch removed
ntcn1pj.jpg

and after much swearing, replaced. Primed then painted with anti stone chip

7lFEnrO.jpg

ACl08x9.jpg

Under the rear beam was all zinc primed and then stone chip painted, and waxoyled for good measure
GM4FJAu.jpg

Fuel tank cleaned and painted
TKXdUqq.jpg

GAZ adjustable coilovers installed along with new brake components, braided lines and so on.
9fG86mx.jpg

Golf G60/Corrado VR6 brake set up installed on the front.
iVfd97B.jpg

aihtO5I.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Inner arch repaired
jPC8xvd.jpg

oE6x6XX.jpg

Out sill tacked on, then spot welded top and bottom as per factory, seam welded across the quarter.

MZJlVWE.jpg

ltUDzbi.jpg

GZuXt15.jpg

This was circa winter 2016. Car was then left for a while as I find it best to buckle down and work until you get bored or annoyed with it, then leave it alone until you get the bug again, prevents bodge ups occurring.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My Hat's off to UK car restorers. Always have hope that something can be salvaged. Nice. Love the Corrado too.

I was thinking the same thing. Here in CA we see a few spots of rust and freak out! "What's that stuff!" "Eeeewwwwww"

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sentimental value plays a big part in it too.

Went on a hunt for my 1987 Scirocco 16v last year, which I’ve regretted selling since I signed it over in 1993. Finally tracked down the VIN; ran to a computer and pulled the Carfax & Autocheck — looks like the next buyer drove it off the lot & immediately totaled it—salvage then junk/scrap. That car & I had some amazing experiences, and it took the wind out of my resto plan. It would take a psychiatrist to explain how that turned into an E9, but it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great project! I have seen some low mile mark Is sell for 50k USD or more on the continent, so this is a project that also happens to make some financial sense, given that the donor car was free. I really like those wheels you had with the fat spokes, BTW.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great project! I have seen some low mile mark Is sell for 50k USD or more on the continent, so this is a project that also happens to make some financial sense, given that the donor car was free. I really like those wheels you had with the fat spokes, BTW.

14" ATS Cups from the very limited edition Oettinger Mk1 GTI 16S - French only 1600cc 16v mk1 golf. I had the rare BBS kit for it too but decided against it in the end

der-klassiker-unter-den-klassikern-1983er-golf-1-gti-16s-oettinger-golf-1-gti-mit-einem-der-ersten-16v-motoren-3561.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Front panel just wasn't lining up properly and I didnt want to cover it in filler.
FvrRGMW.jpg

Engine and box out.

evCoFYj.jpg

Panel removed, crossmember welded up where the metal was a bit thin with some fresh sheet metal, then primed with Bilt Hamber products.

YGsYT1e.jpg

Battery tray removed, spot welds cleaned up.

ilbauEX.jpg

v2HJxCc.jpg

Front panel on

TsfpkJ1.jpg

Also have a few shiny carbon bits to get fitted..
KFjAfc1.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
More work done. Been in and out of hospital so been struggling to find time and energy to do much.

ICScpWB.jpg

New battery tray and slam panel/headlight corner section - genuine VW

e1ieXjU.jpg

ROGDtiP.jpg

g8XnBFl.jpg

Engine bay primed with etch weld, some of the rippling from hand beating the panels covered with a thin skim of filler and seam sealed before final prime with epoxy mastic

dv3tYSL.jpg

ENkt2HB.jpg

Couldn't resist a test fit of the front end!

fM3fQrj.jpg

Then gave the engine bay a coat of 2K Mars Red. Gun finish.

CtbPLbY.jpg

kqZXEkB.jpg

mvWyxAe.jpg

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Front inner arches coated in bilt hamber electrox, then epoxy mastic, anti stonchip paint, another coat of epoxy mastic and then paint.
viwiJqr.jpg

Steering rack rebuilt with new inner and outer track rod ends, new boots, backlash set and polyurethane mounts.

mBeT3Vh.jpg

Suspension and brake lines fitted. Colour coded the lines from the master cylinder to make things quicker to identify when it's all in the engine bay and things are masked up.

vYuTCZH.jpg