2800 Restoration Thread

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thought I would start a new topic as I started to tear into the 2800 today. This is what coolant looks like after 34 years. This is certainly going to be an adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 536

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oil Pressure Sender

I've never seen an oil sending unit at the bottom of the head. Casting date 1970, car built Jan 1970. We may be looking for a 1970 used head, any leads out there?

Attachments

• IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 446

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris congratulations! Looking forward to following this project.

Will a later head work, like something from after 1985? Probably not after re-reading your post.
Athena has a 1986 head that was sourced through Memphis Motorworks after the head received from LJI & CN was found to be warped.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nasty! I have my popcorn for this one :p

Thought I would start a new topic as I started to tear into the 2800 today. This is what coolant looks like after 34 years. This is certainly going to be an adventure.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm with Steve ... bowl of popcorn waiting and a good bottle of red wine along side. just finished a 2001 ravenswood belloni vineyard zinfandel, but plenty more just past the coupe (in the wine cellar). great excuse to go check the interior pieces stored in the cellar

gte619n

Reaction score
That coolant state is shocking, especially considering the rest of the car looks pretty good!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I was on a roll today. I took the wheels to get powder coated but kept the original Michelin XAS 175-14 spare tire. I removed all four calipers and brake hoses, removed brake master, clutch master and booster. The calipers will get rebuilt and yellow zinced, MCs sleeved, booster rebuilt. Both original MCs are NLA.

I wanted to take the boat anchor, I mean starter, out so that meant intake manifolds first. I forgot how hard it is to get to the upper starter bolt out. Might as well take timing cover off and unbolt the cam sprocket, that lead to head bolts and downpipes. So, I yanked off the head, I am anxious to find out what condition it is in. And I love the early exhaust manifolds, no EGR ports here. Amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind into it.

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpg
    IMG_4366.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 444

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's tremendous progress, hope the head isn't cracked at the exhaust valves like Athena's was, it was cracked a cylinders 2 & 4.

Attachments

• -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 417

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Took the ZF trans out on Monday, wow it's a small case and much easier to remove. The e3 tunnel is wider and you can get to all four nuts on the case to bell housing.

The motor came out today and went to the machine shop, looks like first oversize pistons, we will also do bearings. They will try and repair the head as well but if not, still looking for a 69/70 head casting.

The subframe and booster mount are both grey, they look almost brand new, just dirty. That's another project.

Attachments

• IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_4525.JPG
    IMG_4525.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_4520.jpg
    IMG_4520.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 433

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tumbling and clear ceramic coating does such an amazing job of making parts look brand new, including the original and unobtanium hose clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 403

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing shape

Chris, I checked out all your pictures and I don't know the history of the car but if I had to guess I would say that the owner cracked the head and did not want to repair it and parked it for 43 years :) That looks like it's going to be very fun to rebuild since you have no bodywork to do at all. It does not even appear to need paint, so the PO must have parked it inside (maybe his bedroom)

Great find!!!!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, it needs paint, it's very dull with a scratch on driver front fender and door but that's about it. Yes, head cracked and it sat in his garage for 34 years. No oil or coolant in the engine either but the pistons are pretty stuck but they do move. The machinist will know more on Wednesday, got my fingers crossed.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Superior

I always thought the Bavaria (e3 variants?) were some of the best looking sedans on the road. It's been such a long time since I've seen one in person but I had 2 in the late 70's and they were so cool with the 4 speed and an ANSA exhaust and a little wider tires. Absolutely bada$$!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, I am finding them more and more attractive as time marches on.

I always thought the Bavaria (e3 variants?) were some of the best looking sedans on the road. It's been such a long time since I've seen one in person but I had 2 in the late 70's and they were so cool with the 4 speed and an ANSA exhaust and a little wider tires. Absolutely bada$$!

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to say that Chris is doing a fantastic job. He is clearly a preservationist. I love his attention to detail; but most of all his passion. Chris truly loves these cars and it shows in his work.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update; Head was pressure tested and came back OK, currently being welded and then checked again. Block is apart, we will go first oversize with new bearings, seals, etc. Then they will check the valve train, cam, guides...

Would still like an early head if someone has one as a back-up though!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update:

Block has been rebuilt with new pistons and bearings, head is repaired as well. I need to get it on an engine stand and start reassembly, oil pump, timing chains, tensioner...

In the meantime I've been busy cleaning, never an enjoyable task but putting it back together with new nuts, bolts, hoses, powder coated brackets and such is fun. Booster was rebuilt, brake master and clutch masters re-sleeved, PS pump rebuilt (good thing, it had bad needle bearings), clips re-plated, low beam relay added, PS hoses, brake hoses, etc. Mike scrubbed the inner fender, also not fun, but it was undercoated when new and they sprayed it everywhere. Next up is strut bearings and installing the rebuilt calipers and new brake hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4628.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG