2800 Restoration Thread

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, good eye, fuel line on our e3 resides behind soft panel.

Andrew, current BMW battery.

Mike, I'm worried about you, make sure your shorts aren't on backwards.

shanon

Reaction score
Wow, looks like a real nice survivor time capsule.
Nice blue plates ;)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've been waiting over a week for a rear trans seal for the ZF 4 Speed. Until trans, driveshaft and exhaust are in I am not going to start it, everything else is in and functioning. My one major frustration was the York A/C bracket, I had put the two bolts in where it swings from the bracket on the block but not the nuts. Had to remove the radiator which just had fresh coolant to reach front hinge. Even then I had to tape a nut to a 3/8" extension, snake it up to the bolt while my wife turned the socket in hopes it would catch. After five or six tries it worked but had to jam a large screwdriver next to nut to keep it from turning while tightening bolt. We had left the York and its bracket in the car when we lowered the motor, I didn't want to open up the A/C lines, hoping it might work obviously. If not Don has new York pumps, why go rotary, this 2800 is too original!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Still have the aches and pains from yesterday's adventure under the 2800, it's heck getting old! I got the transmission in but nothing is ever easy. Bought a tranny jack this time, car not high enough so slid trans under car, put jack under car, wedged the trans onto the jack, got it into position. It took about two hours until the bell housing was up against the engine, I used longer M10 bolts to pull it together. With these early trans you have to install with bell housing attached due to the throw out arm pivot. At least the e3 has a wider tunnel. Getting the rest of the bolts in was the real challenge. Seven of the eight are in, the M10 stubby behind upper starter bolt is not in. With manifolds, carbs and hoses in I can't get a finger on it, guess I will be draining the radiator for a second time.

Then of course just putting the access cover in place I realized it fits under the support bracket on driver side so off it came then back on. Same with pushing the slave in the last inch, it was in the bell housing but loose, I wedged that in. Today is driveshaft and exhaust, then I can relax tomorrow before our trip to Amelia Island, I need a break!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My least favorite part of engine work is draining the coolant, I hate the smell and viscosity of it, and seems to never dry if spilled. And I alwys have to drain it twice because I've overlooked something.

I also have a tranny jack and had to drag the tranny in under the car then hoist it up onto the jack. But once it's on it's a back saver.

Working under a friend's lift last weekend for my pre-flight Amelia inspection made me realize what a luxury this is.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finally got the last bolt in, the devil above the starter, an M10x35. I had to remove the heater hose after draining some coolant. Also installed trans mount, slave cylinder line, center bearing and guibo, just need to do the u-joint at the diff. Here is a pic of that nasty bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_4940.jpg
    IMG_4940.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 335

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
2800 restoration...

Quote by Stevehose: My least favorite part of engine work is draining the coolant, I hate the smell and viscosity of it, and seems to never dry if spilled. And I alwys have to drain it twice because I've overlooked something.

Yes...messy, slimy, gross. After my recent cooling system/charging system overhaul I elected to just refill with water until ALL hose clamp leaks had presented themselves and I could deal with each and every one B4 adding expensive and messy antifreeze/coolant. Easier to drain off some water later and refill with correct amount of coolant. Mike

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I waited until Mike was available so tonight we turned the ignition key for the first time. It took a bunch of cranking to get gas from the tank to the carbs but once there it started right up. I was almost startled that it ran and idled so smoothly. One issue though, it is smoking like I've never seen on a new motor. We are wondering if the rebuilt brake master and booster might be leaking brake fluid into the manifold, very strange. It doesn't smell like oil and doesn't look like gas either. Oh well, I'm taking tomorrow off, time to play a round of golf.

Edit: I did add some oil to the cylinders on the engine stand when I was working on it to keep it lubricated, hoping that is it. It sure runs silky smooth though.

Last edited:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was almost startled that it ran and idled so smoothly.

Almost startled? You looked completely shocked!!!

Edit: I did add some oil to the cylinders on the engine stand when I was working on it to keep it lubricated, hoping that is it. It sure runs silky smooth though.

I hope you are right; but I wouldn't rule out the brake booster sucking in brake fluid.

Chris has done a fantastic job on the engine, it looks just like what you would expect from Chris and we were all a bit surprised on how it ran once it fired up. The engine has a silky smooth idle and quite a bit of power. Chris pulled it out of the garage and drove us around the block. Then I hoped in and took it to the gas station for a top off. We got quite a few disgusted looks from motorists that were smoked out by the 2800. One thing is for certain, we have done our share of mosquito abatement!

Really outstanding work Chris!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFTUXwy7mYg

viphoto

Reaction score
Great Job! Nothing like starting it up for the first time after a major redo.
If the smoke didn't go away depending on the type and style of rings you used you may want to make sure they seated or are in the process of seating...lots on the net of the various procedures depending on material etc.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rings are seating and smoke is almost totally gone, I have 18 miles on it so far. Brakes master is fine too, false alarm. Whew! This motor is so smooth, don't know if balancing crank, flywheel and pressure plate helps that much.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We have 50+ miles on it after Mike added 30 today. No smoke, idles steady, love the ZF trans. Slight knock in front end to diagnose. The sisters posed today in my driveway, cars that is!

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpg
    IMG_5027.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 308

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like brake fluid getting through. Masters that've been rebuilt a few times too many will do that. My 2800cs used to do that when I took right turns and letting off the gas.