WORKINGFILE.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 104

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
theres a much better version of the merc.
so hopefully ssomeone can use the shield drawing
the darn thing cost me way near 40o bucks
ok onward

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK FINALLY GOT THIS SQUARED AWAY FOR ALL
FRONT SHEILD
Mind you that you have drawn the replacement part as made by BMW a few years ago. The original (made of a hopeless fibre board) one has a tad different shape. Here's a NOS one; notice it doesn't have the strengthening ribs & the metal brackets are a bit different.
Nevertheless; If i'd repro the part, I'd be happy to follow your drawing as that is the better functional design.

One aspect that would make your drawing even more complete is a side view; as the part has a shallow front to back curve in it and in the middle it has a recess for the oil pan that stick out.
My NOS part is (looks) a bit sagged, so I wouldn't want to take measurements from it.
20200821_110608.jpg

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
merry christmas
to all out there with our wonderful
so very interesting new info
IM selling the caar to my daughter when its gets back running.
she lives in san diego and has all the info for this site and my continue the dialogue
once that happens.
ill edit the file for the bottom sheil to locat the mounting holes and top
edge as it rather critical to mount correctly
and have the oem fitting.
ok

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
merry christmas
to all out there with our wonderful
so very interesting new info
IM selling the caar to my daughter when its gets back running.
she lives in san diego and has all the info for this site and my continue the dialogue
once that happens.
ill edit the file for the bottom sheil to locat the mounting holes and top
edge as it rather critical to mount correctly
and have the oem fitting.
ok

Keep it in the family! :)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
exactly what a perfect way to go then ill always be able to drive it once and awhile
so i have the new as to say engine -and ill get the parts and put it together instead of someone else doing the job.
ill keep it simple so to say ill get a bit larger piston set and a good performance cam
the rest will be rather straight forward
so ill be making a bunch of new posts as i go along with hopeful intelligent comments
from all you experienced owners
out there.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I understand the plan of record is an M30B34 already procured with carbs. And the daughter can always go to Carl Nelson for maintenance.

I planned the Fulvia to go to my daughter, but I have no idea who will service it, or if ICE cars will be allowed in CA by then. Maybe I should croak earlier than planned just for that.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I understand the plan of record is an M30B34 already procured with carbs. And the daughter can always go to Carl Nelson for maintenance.

I planned the Fulvia to go to my daughter, but I have no idea who will service it, or if ICE cars will be allowed in CA by then. Maybe I should croak earlier than planned just for that.
My adult (with famly) son wants a couple of my cars when I pass. I'm hoping that's 30 years from now so I decided we need to start "sharing" the cars and enjoying them now. We'll swap the coupe and the NSX back and forth and I still have my new rusty turd project to mess with. The topic of ICE cars not allowed in CA has come up in our conversations too. It sucks, but has kinda motivated me to try and enjoy the cars more.

Tim M

Reaction score
Why build a hi performance engine, this coupe will be your daughters. Keep it simple, new rings and bearings if anything but no more.
Stock matching numbers engine and 73 bumpers. Keep it really simple…

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why build a hi performance engine, this coupe will be your daughters. Keep it simple, new rings and bearings if anything but no more.

Agreed, from an engine building cost perspective. I bring up cost because it has been a glaring theme of this build/thread. Top of mind for me also, now more
so than ever for a multitude of reasons.

I think the rest depends on direction for the motor. If you plan to run the fuel injected factory B34 or B35 Motronic setup, definitely avoid engine modifications. Even a cam swap may be too much for the factory computer, let alone a displacement bump.

If you plan to run carbs, you will be likely be paying for tuning no matter what. BMW didn’t offer a road going carburated B35 so tuning time is tuning time. You could up your displacement and cam profile with “potentially” minor impact on tuning cost. The goal should be to avoid any/all tuning given your track record in that department.

I intend to build a carbureted B35, but I don’t make logical car decisions (outside of the minivan and Subaru). Your best bet as I continue to beat a dead horse is to buy a running/driving B35-based car and move the motor and EMS over to your e9.

FWIW, rather than messing with my motor in my car I intend to build a test stand for it. I can have the motor tuned while the chassis is sitting at the body shop for
6 months. The donor car’s subframe is the perfect starting point for the 30 degree layover on the m30 motor.

Why don’t more people use these?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed, from an engine building cost perspective. I bring up cost because it has been a glaring theme of this build/thread. Top of mind for me also, now more
so than ever for a multitude of reasons.

I think the rest depends on direction for the motor. If you plan to run the fuel injected factory B34 or B35 Motronic setup, definitely avoid engine modifications. Even a cam swap may be too much for the factory computer, let alone a displacement bump.

If you plan to run carbs, you will be likely be paying for tuning no matter what. BMW didn’t offer a road going carburated B35 so tuning time is tuning time. You could up your displacement and cam profile with “potentially” minor impact on tuning cost. The goal should be to avoid any/all tuning given your track record in that department.

I intend to build a carbureted B35, but I don’t make logical car decisions (outside of the minivan and Subaru). Your best bet as I continue to beat a dead horse is to buy a running/driving B35-based car and move the motor and EMS over to your e9.

FWIW, rather than messing with my motor in my car I intend to build a test stand for it. I can have the motor tuned while the chassis is sitting at the body shop for
6 months. The donor car’s subframe is the perfect starting point for the 30 degree layover on the m30 motor.

Why don’t more people use these?

I'm presently restoring a 1973 Subaru rally car. Perfectly logical from where I'm sitting :)

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
My adult (with famly) son wants a couple of my cars when I pass. I'm hoping that's 30 years from now so I decided we need to start "sharing" the cars and enjoying them now. We'll swap the coupe and the NSX back and forth and I still have my new rusty turd project to mess with. The topic of ICE cars not allowed in CA has come up in our conversations too. It sucks, but has kinda motivated me to try and enjoy the cars more
Dan, I am in a similar situation. My Son and I are continuously swapping cars that will eventually become his.