71 Restoration Begins

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
DSC01731.JPG
DSC01742.JPG
DSC01641.JPG
The restoration has begun!
Removal of all running gear and bits and pieces...
The list of required replacement parts is growing as expected.
First run of replacement seals and perishables arrived from Walloth and Nesch (thanks all for the tip).

Next its off to the panel shop for a sand blast and a complete respray (new door skins, hood and trunk floor)....

Ending up with a few coats of polaris....

Aussie CS
'71 3.0 Coupe (currently in pieces)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
I am after some advice... suspension.

I am wondering what kind of componantry people have use and what successes they have improving the handling of their E9?

I am looking at getting bilstein gas shocks all round as well as CSi graduating springs - is this a reasonable set up? can I get better or from a different model BMW?

I am also thinking of getting sway bars front and back. are these needed?

Would appreciate a little advice.

:???: Chris

Aussie CS
'71 3.0 Coupe (currently in pieces)

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Suspension Mods

There are lots of variations but typical suspension "upgrades" would be similar to mine.

Suspension Techniques lowering springs
Suspension Techniques anti sway bars F/R with urethane bushings
HD Bilstein shocks (could go to Bilstein Sport shocks = firmer ride)
-.5 degree front camber plates
IE front shock tower brace
16 x 7 205/55/16 front
16 x 8 225/50/16 rear

From here I think changing to front/rear coil overs, full urathane suspension bushings, CR manual steering box, a lot of chassis reinforcement and sexy Italian driving gloves but then you are getting into a harsher ride.

Doug

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Thanks Doug,

I have seen your CS on the photo gallery. Very Nice.

With the 16" wheels, are these Alpina from a B9 E12/28? where did you source these from? second hand are rare, alpina still supply at great cost....

With the suspension, does ST have a knowledge of your car/setup if I asked them directly (I read through specs and no E9 mentioned, but most other BMW models) or did you get it elsewhere?...

Thanks very much for your help

Chris
Aussie3.0CS
1971 3.0CS (currently in pieces)

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Everything listed came with the car when I bought I so yes, they are Alpina but that's all I know.

I think La Jolla Independent has made copies of the springs and he'd be the best person to talk to. http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts-find...00cs30cscsicsl/spring-set-3-0cs2800cs-all-e9/

Ireland Engineering has a sway bar set that sounds close to mine plus the camber plates and brace.
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...reType=BtoC&Count1=716030299&Count2=633170723

Must be someone in AUS that has something the shipping would be nasty.

Doug

K D

Reaction score
71 REstoration

Hi Chris,

K D from Sydney.
KING SPRINGS can supply springs to suit the Coupe. They are in Queensland but supply Aust. wide. WHITELINE supplied my larger diametre front & rear sway bars about 15 years ago, I asume they could still supply. Give them both a try. If you cannot find them try through your local Performance Suspension Shop.
I used KONI shocks front & Rear as they are adjustable and work great.

All the best with the resto.

K D

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Thanks K D,

I am starting to get some options.... the King Springs you had fitted, were they a sport model or based on another BMW model specs?

Cheers for your help

Chris
Aussie3.0CS

K D

Reaction score
71 Restoration

Sorry Chris I haven't fitted the KING SPRINGS I just know that they make them. My springs were made to order by a company at St Marys Sydney but I don,t think they are keen to do one off sets anymore, but as I said WHITELINE made the sway bars and they fitted perfectly. 27mm dia. Front & 22mm dia. rear and they really tie down the body roll.
For the record we took the original spring & uprated 35% with 1" lower ride height. Stance is perfect.

K D

Bill Cutler

Reaction score
Hi Chris
King Springs KBRL22 are listed for the (rear of the) 2002 but are a perfect fit in the coupe. I have them in mine. At the front I used a Commodore front spring from Pedders - where are you located?
I'm in Melb, restored my coupe 3 years ago, happy to help with tips if you like..

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Thanks Bill,

I'm in Adelaide, and although I am not really after a concourse restoration, I am trying to improve aspects of performance along the way. Suspension seemed a little like the "low hanging fruit"....
thanks for your advice

Chris

Aussie3.0CS

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Some New Photos!

Stripping of the car is nearly complete, only some wiring and dashboard to go...

interestingly not too much unknown rust, some panels - particularly the underside of the trunk was in impeccable condition...

AussieCS
1971 3.0CS currently in pieces....

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 453

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Latest Update

Latest Update:

Car is stripped, about to get soda blasted....
all required replacement panels are landed.

Carl N suspension setup is on its way....
Coupeking wheels are in my shed.

Car seats are being reupholstered....

But I would like to know about a couple of things from you all:
1. Ceiling linings - configuration and material - is original style still available?
2. Restoration of timber dash etc - materials recommended for use?
3. Paint specifications - I am keen on getting the metallic colour Polaris Neu (060?) - do any manufacturers have a specification I ould take to my paint shop?

Many thanks in advance - this website and its members have been an invaluable resource!!

Cheers

Chris
Aussie3.0CS
car very much in pieces....

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 359

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,

Paint - The paint shop I am using was able to find PPG DBC codes for the 060 Polaris Neu. Their paint code book only went back to around 1986/87. However, it happens that those years still had the 060 color code. We did a sample spray and it looked good. As always, test your mix out and view it outdoors.

World Upholstery in California has a similar headliner material. It has the diamond shaped holes, but not the fine line pattern. Do a search on this site for "headliner".

The wood can be whatever you want it to be. The original is a walnut. I just finished my dash in a slightly more interesting figured french walnut. See bottom link of

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Restoration.html

jmackro

Reaction score
2. Restoration of timber dash etc - materials recommended for use?

Chris:

You might want to check out the Madera Concepts website at: http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/VehiclePages/bmw_vehicles.html

Madera is here in California, so I'm not sure if you would want to order your wood internationally. Still, if you have gotten your suspension components from LaJolla, then you will find that wood is a whole lot lighter to ship than steel!

Madera did my wood, and I was very pleased with the result. If your base wood is OK, and just needs re-veneering, someone local (or you) can do it. But, if new bases need to be fabricated, Madera has the patterns and makes parts that will fit properly. Be aware that disassembling and reassembling the dash is a BIG job.

Personally, I prefer the original French walnut veneer over burled walnut. That burled stuff reminds me of all the awful Jaguars I have ever ridden in (though, thank God, never owned).

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Blast Away!!

Hi All,

latest update from South Oz!

Have just come from the sandblasters - refer attached photos. The result was perhaps a little better than I thought, the only evidence of pitting was found in:
- the sills (I have all replacement guard fix panels),
- part of the fire wall,
- and the top of the front guards in the seal/gutter area... any parts/fix ideas for these?
- one bodgy fix at the front right headlight (looks like a minor accident) panel beating was a combo of metal and bog....

but all in all, it seems the car including main panels, floors, strut towers etc are quite clean....

Now for a quick prime and its off to the panel beater for all the new panels and some paint.... Maybe this time next year I'll be mobile.

I welcome your comments and feedback!

Chris
Aussie3.0CS
1971 3.0CS Now being restored in 3 different locations!!

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 465

alvchua

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

where are you having your interior trim done? Your restoration project is looking good!!

Reading some of the comments about using 2002 rear King Springs - I do have a set never used here in Adl - you are welcome to try and see if it fits. I bought them several years ago amongst the parts I have been hoarding for my 2002s.

Alvin

Dirk

Reaction score
Hi Chris - are you planning on replacing the fenders ?

If not, the very least I suggest you remove the front and rear connecting plates which connect the outer fenders to the inner fenders along the gutter that you mentioned above. There is a hollow area under the gutter that needs to be treated and the only way to get to it is by removing those connection plates. (numbers 3 and 7 on the diagram)

How do your A pillars look from inside the glove box and behind the kick panels ? There might be some unpleasant surprises there as well.

Attachments

• CS Front Structure.jpg
    CS Front Structure.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 410

K D

Reaction score
Restoration Begins

My advise, for what it's worth.

REMOVE THOSE FRONT GUARDS & SILL PANELS or don't bother continuing.

DO IT RIGHT & DO IT ONCE!

K D

Dirk

Reaction score
My advise, for what it's worth.

REMOVE THOSE FRONT GUARDS & SILL PANELS or don't bother continuing.

DO IT RIGHT & DO IT ONCE!

K D

From what I see on the pictures after the soda blasting, I fully agree. You're spending $50K on something that's rotting from the inside.