OK, got the rear bearings back in one trailing arm today. This was between touching up the paint on the struts, cleaning and painting the rear inner hubs, and painting various steering column bits.
Unfortunately once I had it all together I took this photo, and immediately realized my error...
OOPS! forgot to install the brake backing plate, which is slightly hilarious since changing that was part of my motivation to disassemble the rear hubs.. So, out came the pullers and I got the hub out within realized I also had to install the parking brake cable. Got out the new cable and something doesn't look right.
Here is the brand new Walloth cable, and the old original cable.
Not only are there no bolts for this, but the cable flange looks VERY weak.
So I set aside the second re-assembly of the left hub until I sort this out.. (Resolved: see next post)
Also, per my comment on the headlamp thread about wire brushing. Here are the two rear inner hubs. One brushed on the wire wheel, and the other original. These cleaned up very nicely! And then I painted the bits that dont either go inside the seal or face the half shaft. You can see a painted one inthe background of the photo of the Walloth parking brake cable above .