72 Restomod clubracer build

Bavman

Reaction score
Hello Brenden

I am slowly building a track e9....going to be pretty close to stock but whatever stuff I have laying around will get used, like brand new rear subframe and arms from an e28. I have a pile of M30's to use up...

Al Taylor

bdigel

Reaction score
Hello Rev Alonso ! the funniest guy in club racing !
whats the chance you have a bell housing for 265 that fits a big six with a bolt on slave cly . some how I lost all mine .

BD

AceAndrew

Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack but along the same lines...does anybody see a reason why the E9 rear camber/toe kits would not work in the E3? I think they have identical subframes and geometry but do not have a coupe to compare.

There is no reason why they would not work on an E3, in fact I know of at least a half dozen E3's running them.

I'm enjoying watching this beast come to life!

bdigel

Reaction score
a taste of things to come , these wheels are just for testing purpose by the way

csl+work+003.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
the guys at Synro Design works designed and made these super slick sperical rear trailing bushings

002.JPG

001.JPG

before being pressed into the trailing arms

003.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
the rear suspension assembled

csl+work+007.JPG

close up shot of trailing arms installed

csl+work+008.JPG

test fit in the car

csl+work+005.JPG

a few quick notes , this is the "Non Stance" way to lower a car , we actually fixed and fabbed things so that the suspension still works . We raised the subframe up into the car to correct the geometry , when we did this we had to cut and channel the body to make room for the trailing arms and diff . Some real craftsmanship being done by the gang at Synro !

bdigel

Reaction score
csl+work+006.JPG

another anti stance design feature , so that I don't drag the exhaust on the ground we are raising it into the car . therefore the rusted out floorboards actually helped us out! this picture actually shows the general route the new exhaust will take.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really enjoying this thread. Just wondering if this project is being undertaken by 1 person, or is it a collaboration?
Very creative what is taking place. I wish I had those skills.

bdigel

Reaction score
Really enjoying this thread. Just wondering if this project is being undertaken by 1 person, or is it a collaboration?
Very creative what is taking place. I wish I had those skills.

I guess you would call it a collaboration, the fabrication is being done at Synro design Works, and my self, I will be building the engine ( I am a BMW tech with 25 years experience) Ill have some one else do the body work , and I will do final assembly

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hijacking the thread

I attached a couple of pictures of my less than perfect welding of the toe and camber plates. Yes, cutting those holes proved to be rather painful. I was hoping that our members would post the ideal rear alignment specs for my car, not for track use but for moderate-to-aggressive street use. Car is 74 CS 5-sp conversion, CN springs, Bilsteins, HD Sway bar rear, 16 in. wheels, 205/45/16 tires and 3 dot spring perches. and in the front CN springs, Bilsteins, CN(-) camber fixed plates, CN strut bar, HD Sway bar, same wheels & tires all around.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG2551.jpg
    IMAG2551.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMAG2552.jpg
    IMAG2552.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 350

bdigel

Reaction score
I attached a couple of pictures of my less than perfect welding of the toe and camber plates. Yes, cutting those holes proved to be rather painful. I was hoping that our members would post the ideal rear alignment specs for my car, not for track use but for moderate-to-aggressive street use. Car is 74 CS 5-sp conversion, CN springs, Bilsteins, HD Sway bar rear, 16 in. wheels, 205/45/16 tires and 3 dot spring perches. and in the front CN springs, Bilsteins, CN(-) camber fixed plates, CN strut bar, HD Sway bar, same wheels & tires all around.

Thanks!

PM sent

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Peter. How did you determine the horizontal and vertical alignments on the frame / axle carrier for the plates? I aligned mine with the outside edge of the frame but I note that yours are angled slightly. I have ground out the slots, with a lot of neighbour annoying screeching metal grinding noise, but since the plates aren't welded on yet I can modify what I have done if needed.
Also interested in those specs as our cars are very similar. bdigel, could I please get a copy? Love your work BTW, fantastic project.

Thanks!

Last edited:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
BD

Can you talk about what you plan to do to reinforce the rear shock towers to handle coil overs?

Doug

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Gazz:
Keeping in mind that the reason for the adjustment plates are simply to get the rear toe and camber "back into spec" and not to provide a radical change my main point of reference was the original holes. That being said, I clamped the plates on as accurately as possible and scribed the elongation and then did the deed- as you know- forearms full of metal shavings etc. Due to my inability to weld things perfectly there was some deviation of angle but the original holes were maintained and the elongations should provide ample room for adjustment. I guess one could argue that the spacing should be identically perfect but my feeling is that the alignment shop will be able to adjust into the spec that I am looking for without issue. I'm not sure if that helps but once I get her back together I'll have the alignment set (again) and post the spec sheet. Not sure if you want to hold out til then but I'll do my best to post swiftly.

Best,

Peter

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree Peter, the alignment shop should have enough to fiddle with having both toe and camber plates, even if our positioning of the plates on the axle carrier isn't perfect. I'm sure that if the positioning was critical Jeff Ireland would have mentioned it.
Don't place yourself under any pressure to post specs as my car won't be ready for quite some time. Hope it all goes well for you.
We better let bdigel have his thread back ;-)
Gary

bdigel

Reaction score
BD

Can you talk about what you plan to do to reinforce the rear shock towers to handle coil overs?

Doug

Funny thing we were just studying that the other day. Im not quite sure how I plan on mounting the rear shocks just yet. Im hoping we can use the stock location and just tie the roll cage into it . I suspect that we are going to have to extend the shock tower up in to the car so that the dampner will have the travel it needs. if you look at real CSL race cars you can see the upper shock mounts coming though the rear bulk head into the cabin .

so I haven't committed to how I will mount the rear shocks but when it is fabbed up I will post pictures here!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Rear Coilovers

BD

Jeff Ireland said the e30 Rear Adjustable units will work for the e9. I haven't started yet but I plan on replacing the tower housing with 1/8" wall thickness pipe (diameter to match existing) and plate caps with flanges and use bolt connections to tie the two towers together and connect to the roll cage through the rear deck.

The bolt connections for tie in allows the finicky welding of the flanges to the caps to be done on the bench as will the cross bar. The only welding at the roll cage should have good access all around.

Yes this will take some time but relatively cheap if I can do all the welding. Bet you finish first.

PM sent to you as well.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-suspension-steering/E30rspadj.html

Last edited: