72 Restomod clubracer build

bdigel

Reaction score
frog Island
great shots, that is exactly what I was trying to explain . Im hoping that is not what we will have to do on my car, but I fear we will end up going in that direction

frogisland

Reaction score
These are the e30 units you may be referring to. Groove machined in body for retaining clip that the threaded coilover tube sits over. Upper and lower spring seats. All parts available from Bilstein. Have been racing my e30 on this setup for a few years with no issues whatsoever.

Would avoid going all the way to the parcel shelf if you can avoid, it gets very complicated. The location of the turrets has been altered on my e9, plus the arms have been heavily modified to suit. There is no reason why you cant do the same just to replicate the original. Could even have a three-piece bar - horizontal across the turrets and two diagonals down to the diff mounting area. It comes down to what your intended use is.

JP

bdigel

Reaction score
while I was at my shop today I snapped a couple of photos of my e12 race car to show the rear cage and shock set up in that car .

001.JPG

this is a clear shot of the upper perch and how the cage ties into it, also you can see the remote rev.

002.JPG

this shot you can see how we raised the tower up a wee bit, , note the two bolts on the top which hold the top clevis mount for the top of the shock

003.JPG

here you can see the entire rear cage and how it ties into the rear shock towers, the diff mount, and into the rear subframe mounts

004.JPG

a poor quality picture of the rear shock, notice its a reverse mount, where the spring is on the bottom and the body of the dampner is at the top, this is an e46 set up , they also do this for e30, and 36 when people convert to true coil over deals

bdigel

Reaction score
001.JPG

some more sheet metal progress , Frank at Synro has done some fantastic work, the trans tunnel is being reworked , and a quite nice tunnel fabbed up to raise the exhaust up

002.JPG

a shot of the new sheet metal from underneath along with the new euro headers

003.JPG

004.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
I love it!! Lots of time & effort laying things out, so much work it's awesome! Are you moving the engine back some?

weve been found out ! we did move the engine further in to the car

010.JPG

here you can see how far back we shoved the engine

013.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
alignment plates

I welded on the plates and brought the car to a pretty good shop locally who set the alignment but not to the specs that I had given them. They do allot of BMW's, Porsches and other exotics and said that if I was not happy they would reset, so I am posting the results and look forward to some feed-back. As a side comment they mentioned that the IE adjustment plates were really easy to work with.

Thanks all-and again, sorry for side-tracking this thread.

Attachments

• alignment result 12-05-13.jpg
    alignment result 12-05-13.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 309

bdigel

Reaction score
002.JPG

some eye candy for you s38 fan's , a brand new set of euro s38 headers , aka the basket of snakes .

001.JPG

pulled the cyl. head off to get started on engine refresh

003.JPG

finished trans mount

bdigel

Reaction score
005.JPG

006.JPG

work on finishing up the motor mounts continues, the plates where the mounts go into the subframe going into there final spots

007.JPG

another shot from underneath along with new headers

bdigel

Reaction score
IMG_20130601_201200_528.jpg

starting with this nasty looking engine bay , and now a new fire wall I started grinding unneeded brackets , and cleaning off that ugly stuff on the shock towers

005.JPG

looking beter in there

006.JPG

I will say this , if I ever do another car acid dip has to be worth the money , I have spent days trying to get rid of all that unwanted material , andI have a lot left to go,. nasty nasty work !

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Front's are fixed CN plates. I don't want to hijack BD's thread any more-I might anger the Gods, so I should be doing a pretty extensive thread with all the suspension mods and the results after test driving. Nasty weather in Austin this week so I'll have to test drive before posting- Thanks BD, I now bow out of the thread :)

waynesie

Reaction score
Great thread.
I am in the process of building a 2800cs race car, your pictures and posts are very inspiring.

What group are you going to race with?
Are you planning on flares, wings and such?

frogisland

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, great build

Will you be solid mounting the rear beam...or a little bushing?

and some reinforcement

JP

Last edited:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
JP,

In your photo bucket is a shot of a rear coil over set up on a Bili shock - is that from IE using e30 collar?

Any other shots and comments on the installation?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing, great build

Will you be solid mounting the rear beam...or a little bushing?

and some reinforcement

JP

bdigel

Reaction score
IMG_20131104_202801_952.jpg

Hi Guys , yes we solid mounted the rear subframe , there are about 4 more pictures of the new mounts starting on page 2 of this thread , the guys at synro made some real nice aluminum bushings , that raise the subframe way up in to the car .

I am planning on boxing on the front frame mounts like yours, we just haven't gotten to that stage yet

frogisland

Reaction score
JP,

In your photo bucket is a shot of a rear coil over set up on a Bili shock - is that from IE using e30 collar?

Any other shots and comments on the installation?

Thanks

No, they're all Bilstein parts; damper, threaded collar, circlip, top and bottom mounts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/frogisland/e30 Build/CIMG2544_zps54dc3772.jpg

Had a quick look for the part numbers but can't put my hand on them. Will look again through some paperwork I have. The damper body has to be machined to fit the circlip which the threaded collar then sits over to ensure it stays in place.

JP