72 Restomod clubracer build

E9Norway

Reaction score
I love this project! Nice to see the great fab work you guys are doing.
What is you plan regarding steering? Looks like you will run a rack?

My plan is to install rack and pinion steering on my car. But I cant find a rack that is small enough. Hope you will post some pictures and info when you are starting on the steering.

Do you have an facebook page?

Best regards Sondre

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

My plan is to install rack and pinion steering on my car. But I cant find a rack that is small enough. Hope you will post some pictures and info when you are starting on the steering.

Best regards Sondre

This product was discussed in a previous steering rack thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOi6InERMW4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15652&highlight=rack+pinion

bdigel

Reaction score

Best regards Sondre

I do not use face book, sorry

I will be using a e21 rack, funny thing I had not seen the pictures NiCad posted, wish I had . would have saved time.
the e21 is a tad bit too long but we will adjust for that when the front suspension gets built, we are a ways off from getting started on that just yet, so stay tuned

thanks

BD

bdigel

Reaction score
003.JPG

Cleaned cly. head ready to be shipped out for machining

001.JPG

t-bodies ready for machinist

001.JPG

Block nearing completion with the machinist, bored, decked, cleaned etc, etc

002.JPG

rods post balancing , resized

004.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
006.JPG

New clutch and Flywheel courtesy of Bimmer World
A clutch masters kit, with their aluminum Flywheel

005.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
started bending up the bars for the cage today

001.JPG

main hoop all bent up

003.JPG

squeezed into place

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I really like this project. Great ideas and fab workmanship. I don´t mind at all that it´s not original or period correct. There´s enough space in our enthousiasts world for all sorts of variations and this is a very nice and interesting one.
Anything that is done so well deserves my respect even if I wouldn´t go there myself (in this case though, I´d actually even be tempted to go a similar route. But more street than track focused and with an E3 of course...)

Chapeau!

bdigel

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comment, it keeps me inspired to keep working !
we started on some of the more interesting/ radical projects this week
I decided to get rid of the steering box and install a steering rack . some of the grp 4/5 car had this done , and few others have done it as well .
we removed the box and cut out the mounts , and threw away all that old heavy steering links, steering arms, and box , sourced an old manual 320 rack ( rear steer that is close enough in length to make the geometry work. milled out some brackets to hold the rack and now we are in the process of mounting them to the subframe

003.JPG

what the subframe looks like with the box and mounts still attached

004.JPG

pile of old links , etc

001.JPG

steering box mount removed

016.JPG

020.JPG

preview of steering rack mounting

002.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
pictures of the steering rack with its new aluminum mounts

005.JPG

006.JPG

the aluminum mounts are in two pieces that bolt around the rack the mounts are bolted to two steel brackets which will be welded to the subframe

007.JPG

mocking up to the subframe

021.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
Fantastic work! Can't wait to hear your report on how it handles with the steering rack.

Hi Walter ! are the same Walter who raced the grey e9 a few years back ?
I can't wait to see how this all will work as well, I m hoping we will get to the track later this year ,

BD

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
BD,

Definitely not the one who you are thinking about; however, I may have bought my car from the individual that did. Was the grey CS a non-original color w/ red interior?

bdigel

Reaction score
BD,

Definitely not the one who you are thinking about; however, I may have bought my car from the individual that did. Was the grey CS a non-original color w/ red interior?

No ,it wasn't a street car, it didn't have any interior , Guys name was Walter Fields , from somewhere in the Mid Atlantic . it was Grey with motorsport stripes, real neat car .

bdigel

Reaction score
we got a bit of work done on the steering rack today. we cut the steel brackets down size and notched out the subframe where they will be welded into place.

008.JPG

009.JPG

E9Norway

Reaction score
Yes! Great to see some updates regarding the steering. This will help me a lot when i am going to make the same changes to my car.

Hope you will post more regarding the steering rack in detail.

What is you plan regarding the Track lever? you need to build new one that is shorter?

The billet aluminium mounts you have made, it is something you are interested in making moro of to sell?

Keep up the good work, inspiration to us all!

bdigel

Reaction score
Yes! Great to see some updates regarding the steering. This will help me a lot when i am going to make the same changes to my car.

Hope you will post more regarding the steering rack in detail.

What is you plan regarding the Track lever? you need to build new one that is shorter?

The billet aluminium mounts you have made, it is something you are interested in making moro of to sell?

Keep up the good work, inspiration to us all!

Hi E9 Norway ! thanks for the comments, they keep me inspired as well Forgive me Im not sure what you mean by "track lever", and I suspect I could get the guys to make some more mounts

BD

E9Norway

Reaction score
Hi E9 Norway ! thanks for the comments, they keep me inspired as well Forgive me Im not sure what you mean by "track lever", and I suspect I could get the guys to make some more mounts

BD

Hello again!

Not sure if ¨track lever¨ is the correct word… Here is an link to the part I mean: http://www.wallothnesch.com/spurstangenhebel-links-32-08-01.html

I am very interested in a pair if the price is OK. If you want to hear about the price, would it be fantastic.

Best regards
Sondre Wollum