72 Restomod clubracer build

bdigel

Reaction score
Hello again!

Not sure if ¨track lever¨ is the correct word… Here is an link to the part I mean: http://www.wallothnesch.com/spurstangenhebel-links-32-08-01.html

I am very interested in a pair if the price is OK. If you want to hear about the price, would it be fantastic.

Best regards
Sondre Wollum

Ahhh yes , everyone has there own name for that, I call it a steering knuckle . you are correct it needs to be shortened , when we get to that I will post that up . there will be quite bit different from the stock set up.
PM me and Ill get you some prices for the billet collers/ mounts

BD

bdigel

Reaction score
Sorry to jump around from project to project , but that's just how this car is going . However I think this is some exciting work that's being done.

After updating the rear subframe and trailing arms , and the planned change to coilover shocks ( stock has the springs on the trailing arms ) we need to modify the shock towers . actually they are being completely redone from scratch . this is not an uncommon practice, take notice at the more serious race cars and youll notice the rear shock towers coming though the rear package tray .

below is the stock shocktowers before we started

007.JPG

the stock tower is cut out

012.JPG

010.JPG

the top and bottom part of the cut out shock tower

015.JPG

from the bottom and notice the spring preach has been removed as well

L_vOxkwtR6ZydX5nLaiHqsluC2Eq3v2fCB1b4m1sI48=w307-h230-p-no

bdigel

Reaction score
Frank has worked his sheet metal Magic and formed up some fantastic new shock towers .

003.JPG

placed in the hole for refineing

006.JPG

from below

007.JPG

010.JPG

and tacked into place

photo.JPG

and with the "loner shock " for mock up

photo+1.JPG

frogisland

Reaction score
Make sure it is good and strong at the top. Have seen this happen on a couple of cars:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/frogisland/E9 Le Mans 2008/ClassicleMans08420.jpg

Also consider bracing the two towers together directly under the shelf - you can then weld the underside of the shelf to the brace.

Have you taken into consideration spring clearance for the increased negative camber when your wheel is tucked up closer to the arch?

JP

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Again, intrigued by your modifications. A couple of questions: what are the tab like squares at the bottom of the tower; how was the length of the tower determined?

bdigel

Reaction score
Hey guys !

Jp the top of the tower is quite stout, and I do plan on tying the towers in with the cage , then it will triangulate with the diff mount and each other . as far as spring clearance goes Im intending on using inverse mounted shocks where the spring is on the bottom , , we mocked everything up that way and things are good.

Walter the tabs on the bottom are so that we have more support / places to weld the new tower to ,

bdigel

Reaction score
Finished up the rear shock towers

004.JPG

notice the plate that will be welded on to the tower for the rollcage mount

006.JPG

005.JPG

picture of finished tower from wheel well

012.JPG

two more plate for the roll cage

Bavman

Reaction score
shoot me an email..

Hello Brenden

Shoot me an email

[email protected]

need some parts/info regarding rack mount and rear subframe....

Thanks

Rev. Alonzo Graham Taylor III esq. etc..

bdigel

Reaction score
The cage is making a bit of progress

007.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

below the main hope getting welded together

011.JPG

Frank the "metal Genius " at work

013.JPG

014.JPG

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Roll Cage ???

Curious where the forward most projecting tubes terminate. Also, any and all thoughts about cage design for our pillar-less coupes.

Great build at an impressive pace- thanks for sharing!

-Richard

bdigel

Reaction score
Curious where the forward most projecting tubes terminate. Also, any and all thoughts about cage design for our pillar-less coupes.

Great build at an impressive pace- thanks for sharing!

-Richard

Hi Richard , thanks for the kind words ! Forgive me Im not sure which bars your speaking of, are you talking about the vertical bars that follow the a pillar or the one that are perpendicular to those ?

the whole design of the coupe makes building a " structural " modern style cage difficult , Im trying to get a bit more chassis strength from the cage than what a normal 6 point can provide , hopefully things will progress quicker and I can answer your question better then , after we figure out how to get around the "pillar less coupe " so stay tuned

BD

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a fantastic project. Your E12 S54 build was really sweet, but this is a whole new level. Very inspirational. Can't wait for more updates!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BD,

Coming along nicely.

You asked about the difference between the Jager car and Luigi, I would sum it up with one word- flex.

We built a substantial cage (like the one you are building) in the Jager car, and it gave us a firm platform for the suspension. When we built the Jager car we also followed the factory's lead and put gussets between the front frame rails and the fire wall. It really helps stiffen the front end. So even though we had what basically was street suspension in the car it handled very well.

The Luigi car retains all the flexibility E9's are noted for. I could feel it especially on turn in. But the car would take a set and I could nail the throttle and it would just hunker down and drive off the corner. I'm guessing that the factory Motorsports suspension has a lot to do with this characteristic.

Cheers,
Steve

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great build!!

I am following with interest to see which ideas I can steal for the time I start rebuilding my CSL.

Thanks for sharing this in such detail

Harun

bdigel

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys . stay tuned hopefully interesting stuff will be happening soon

in the meantime here is some updates on the cage progress

008.JPG

cross bar between the rear shock towers

009.JPG

and now tied into the diff mount

010.JPG

011.JPG

and the main hoop to the shock tower getting roughed in

012.JPG

013.JPG