'73 Golf Bavaria Build Thread

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes I thought same thing about the smile. Ha. And it is a 380mm Petri. One more shot I took today I liked.

Attachments

• 2015-09-03 18.58.51.jpg
    2015-09-03 18.58.51.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 281

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a 380mm Petri too and love it, just the perfect size. Are the bumper over riders upside down? ;-)

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Nice job on your golf 3.0s. I recently acquired another E3 (4th I've had) which the previous owner called the "golferia".

I just changed the dash with a nice Euro one this past weekend - http://stides.imgur.com/all/

My last car was an S (http://imgur.com/a/tz3Wv), and I have to agree that the wiring is a mess i.e. the pwr windows, speaker wires etc....

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
73tiiguy - TY for the compliment. Putting a new muffler on Monday, then off to have the carbs rebuilt and trace down some more electrical issues. It's slowly getting there. On your link, when I went to click on the pictures it wouldn't let me view them. Not for public it said. Anyhow, I see the Golf paint under the dash when it was out. Is the Blue Bavaria that is in the pictures actually Golf? If so, ever plan on taking it back to original paint? And if you ever sell, let me know ;).

73tiiguy

Reaction score
The fjord bav was my previous car - it was an "S" like yours is. I sold it about two years ago to a guy local to me.

The golferia I now have is a work in progress. I'm going non-original with this car since it's already had allot of updates made to it.

Try the links again - silly me, I always forget about image perms.

Have you considered L-jet or Motronic instead of the fiddly carbs? I noticed that your windshield locking strips are a bit bent up. You can straighten them out a bit with a soft rubber mallet. I've learned after a few window removal/installs that the locking strips, glass, and gasket need to be installed as one (also removed as one if the gasket is still usable).

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It still says, "this account no public images"....anyhow re: the windshield locking strips, have not tried taking a mallet to them. I have some new ones too. I need to straighten out all my belt trim some day too. Have not thought about going the J-jet or Motronic route yet. I have a good carb guy that once he rebuilds and tunes the car, I'm hoping the Zeniths will do their job. The goal on this car now is to keep as original as possible and if not original, be able to swap out with ease. Other than wheels (which I have a full set of steelies), steering wheel (which I have original Petri) and front Spoiler which can always come off, it is all original. Or OEM, NOS, replacement parts. If I start having issues and the carbs are nothing but problems I will start looking into that, or triple Webers. I always liked that look. But for now, giving the Zeniths a chance. I will know either later part of next week or two weeks max how the rebuild and tune goes. Oh so what is VIN on your Golf Bav, just curious how close to mine it is. Love to see some pictures of the work in progress, there are so few of us around. Your only the fourth true factory Golf Bavaria that I know of. One racing one, the automatic in Seattle and yours. What year is it? Auto or stick, sunroof and A/C? Black interior?

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Shows how often I use imgur - I put the two pics in a new album and opened it up to the public.

If the Zeniths are rebuilt well and then are properly set up no reason to swap out to EFI - if you want lots of drive ability headaches, put dcoe's on :) Although the noise they make is cool.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Once set up correctly they require no more tweaking than twin carbs and yes the sound and free flowing of the engine is great. If the installer uses crappy linkage or soft mounts then you'll be frustrated.

if you want lots of drive ability headaches, put dcoe's on :) Although the noise they make is cool.

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Once set up correctly they require no more tweaking than twin carbs and yes the sound and free flowing of the engine is great. If the installer uses crappy linkage or soft mounts then you'll be frustrated.

I've been down the dcoe route in the past. I agree that a good linkage and ditching the soft mounts help, especially for around town driving. The Redline linkage kit isn't the best. Although its a very simple design using three throttle arms to push on the actual throttles... But getting all three to open in sync, and actually opening up the same amount is really difficult.

I suppose it all depends on your level of anal retentiveness lol - I always felt there were tuning improvements to made.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A few boring shots of underside and interior

Had the muffler put in the other day and had a chance to shoot some pics on the rack. Rear muffler is factory, but for now went with a run of the mill cheap center muffler. Just don't have the money right now for stuff like that. Does the job, can't be seen, it works for now. I love the cocomats although a tight squeeze when leaving original carpet on drivers side when engaging clutch. It works but you feel the mat. I will take some better pictures after having car detailed inside and out now that dash is back in, steering column is all buttoned up and happy to say all my electrical except fuel gauge is working. I will put on a link so I don't have to reduce all the pictures. Is there a way to take pictures on iPhone 5 that is not such large files?

We pulled the rear fuel unit piece out of the trunk, the emergency fuel light wire needed to be soldered back in place. We think it may just need a new gauge in the cluster, it is stuck on Full. Any other ideas before pulling cluster to put in donor gauge? I have a spare complete cluster that I can pull the fuel gauge from but would rather keep doing some sleuthing. We are not 100% sure that is the problem.

Attachments

• 2015-09-29 19.30.19.jpg
    2015-09-29 19.30.19.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 2015-09-29 19.30.32.jpg
    2015-09-29 19.30.32.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 2015-09-29 19.30.58.jpg
    2015-09-29 19.30.58.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 2015-09-29 19.31.26.jpg
    2015-09-29 19.31.26.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 227
  • 2015-10-30 08.09.40.jpg
    2015-10-30 08.09.40.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 2015-10-30 08.09.49.jpg
    2015-10-30 08.09.49.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Coco-mats finish off the interior nicely.
Are they available in all colours (I have cream/brown flecked carpets)?

Liking the battle scars on the spare tire well!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coco-mats finish off the interior nicely.
Are they available in all colours (I have cream/brown flecked carpets)?

Liking the battle scars on the spare tire well!

http://www.cocomats.com/

Here is the link, I love them and you are right, they really "pop" the interior and are very practical and durable. I had a good experience with them. Make sure they send you the template because I had to modify it. They have like (3) patterns for the E3. So they send you one and you can add or cut the paper to match your floor. Backs were fine but both (L) & (R) front mats had to be modified. They will also send you an actual sample at the same time before you commit to order. I originally wanted the black and yellow but the yellow was more of a fly yellow like on a ferrari and did not look good at all. I'm glad I went with this combo. The all black looked good too but defeats the Coco Mat look to me.

I had the same reaction to the tire well pic. I never noticed scrape until I put up on rack and also liked that it still had what looked like some sort of grey undercoating. If you blow the picture up you can see it.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Attachments

• 2015-11-07 14.44.07.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.44.07.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 230
  • 2015-11-07 14.45.05.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.45.05.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 2015-11-07 14.45.23.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.45.23.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 2015-11-07 14.45.26.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.45.26.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 2015-11-07 14.45.34.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.45.34.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 245
  • 2015-11-07 14.45.49.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.45.49.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 2015-11-07 14.46.53.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.46.53.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 2015-11-07 14.47.58.jpg
    2015-11-07 14.47.58.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 245

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
So did you remake the panels in the trunk or recover then old ones you had? Also the center panel in the back portion of the trunk, mine did not come with it. Was that stock or did you make that also?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So did you remake the panels in the trunk or recover then old ones you had? Also the center panel in the back portion of the trunk, mine did not come with it. Was that stock or did you make that also?

Hey Bob, the original panels were in decent shape, but since it is just thin plywood we opted to get new wood and recover with original elephant skin material that a friend was lucky to have a roll of. The center panel in back portion, are you referring to the panel around taillights or behind the back seat? Both came with the car as original pieces. The taillight panel was cracked and needed some help but it is a crazy formed piece that would be very difficult to duplicate so my interior guy had a great idea and covered it with the elephant skin and reinforced the back at the weak points. I still have one weak point in the center that I need to reinforce but I am very happy with the way it turned out, black screws and all. The piece behind the back seat I had to buy a newer one in better shape than what was in there but I am happy with it now. I need to paint the side panels and the plastic rear wheel fender pieces need to be cleaned up next.