A Tale of Two Bimmers

restart

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Or
Bimmer vs bimmer

restart

Reaction score
I am replacing my split dizzy and while I was simply trying to confirm 36 degrees is what total advance should be and whether m30 carburated car timing could be set by advancing to ping then back Off?
image.jpeg

I came across these manual I thought were worth putting here for reference.
http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23155

www spiderweb being such a rabbit hole! Between too much information, digression and spell correct corrections so much time goes by.

restart

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Both start and run smooth with 35+- full advance. Right near ping and back off point.
Coupes brake pistons stuck a bit
Bav has ancient crane pointless ignition
Coupe has pertronix.
Still haven't tried my newly refreshed by BMW tech new to me distributor.
Regarding my split in 2 distributor, an errant washer, or the clip inside the barrel of the rotor can become dislodged and fall into the distributor and become wedged in the advance mechanism acting as a blade and slicing the body to the point of failure. Seems consistent with the tiny shavings I found in the cracked dizzy.
As usual
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5187.JPG IMG_5174.JPG What a lot of whites..

How we heat up panels and magnet test panels at the same time:eek:

Pun intended

Attachments

• IMG_5196.JPG
    IMG_5196.JPG
    716.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Well, Wrestled the spare calipers from the spider guarding the parts car. It was surprisingly easy to get them apart with the old grease gun trick. Like PMB site says water makes for easy clean up. I didn't have rubber plugs so used a few c clamps And the pistons to block the appropriate bore. . Some of them were so stuck the smaller cheaper c clamps I used broke from shear force from the grease gun. I will never waste time with forced air for caliper removal again. So dangerous and uncontrolled .. not that an exploding c clamp is safe, so use a quality big as possible c clamp.
All usual disclaimers apply to everything I every say :eek:
image.jpg

restart

Reaction score
not getting much time in the shop in this snowy + freezing snap we are having up here.
all the brakes are free in the coupe now. It rolls back + forth easily. i havent driven it since i change the front shocks and springs but the nose in the air feeling is gone, and my suspension seems squeak and rattle free. pushing the corners of the car by hand the suspension seems stiff for my purposes but wont know till i get a chance to drive it.
thought i might start a little archive for my self + save this 74 brochure here, to go with my previous service manual link.
thanks for the bandwidth
e9_1974_en_01.JPG e9_1974_en_02.JPG e9_1974_en_03.JPG e9_1974_en_04.JPG e9_1974_en_05.JPG e9_1974_en_06.JPG e9_1974_en_07.JPG e9_1974_en_08.JPG e9_1974_en_09.JPG e9_1974_en_10.JPG

restart

Reaction score
bav brochure last 10 pages.
these are uploaded from my very old mac, some keys dont work, kind of cumbersome, so i will try to upload more brochures as i get the chance.
e3_1974_us_11.JPG e3_1974_us_12.JPG e3_1974_us_13.JPG e3_1974_us_14.JPG e3_1974_us_15.JPG e3_1974_us_16.JPG e3_1974_us_17.JPG e3_1974_us_18.JPG e3_1974_us_19.JPG e3_1974_us_20.JPG

restart

Reaction score
IMG_5364.JPG IMG_5362.JPG Over/under riders
For a moment there I thought I understood which cars had which riders.
I think I will leave the details,to the experts.
Here are my 2 front bumpers iterations...bav down, coupe up !?
And please note the snowy coupe background, west coast BC imitating finland:)

restart

Reaction score
Thanks!
The 'dagmars' on bav look like they are designed to push the front down in a collision?
The left ones on coupe look like they are designed to lift the front up in a a collision?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Whether e3 or e9, only the US/NA market vehicles got the downward pointing bumper guard rubber. It was in compliance with regulations here for the interim requirement for a 2 1/2 mph bumper, in 74 we got the full 5 mph impact bumpers, including Canada.