b35 Install Tomorrow

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I kept the stock M30 headers and down pipes, just got the O2 bung in, it would stumble badly, now much better but something still not right. I will try a spare AFM next.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff Tighe helped today to diagnose the bad stumble I have. I couldn't put a load on it above 2000 RPM. He opened the underside of the AFM and adjusted the barn door tension. It is now much better but not great. With easy acceleration from 2500-3000 it stumbles, also slight stumble at steady cruise around 3-3500 RPM. We will work more on it next week.

One thing I notice immediately, floor it and it shoves you into the seat! It will never idle as smoothly as the stock 3.0 but it's fine either way. Probably didn't need to lighten the flywheel, not used to having RPMs drop so fast without the prior flywheel mass. Idle is a steady 900 RPM. The devil is in the details. I hope I don't have gear play in the non-Motronic distributor drive gears, the dizzy is staked. More to come next week.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What is your fuel pressure when it stumbles?
What is the voltage reading at your O2 sensor when it stumbles?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don, your care package arrived. In the meantime I swapped in another ECU and advanced the dizzy by a hair, a very tiny amount. All seems good! Will rule out the other ECU and AFM too tomorrow.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I stopped by to see Chris a few weekends ago and he treated me to a ride in his coupe. Fantastic car with new-found power! Thanks for the opportunity Chris. A perfect example of the advantages of swapping to B35 FI.

Nice work!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since I have around 8-900 miles on the new motor I figured it was time for an update. We drove it up to the Santa Ynez valley two weeks ago. Had some traffic in west LA, headed up the coast through Malibu, then on to Santa Barbara and then to Los Olivos. I varied the engine RPMs and load to help break in the motor and Paul Cain and I chased each other up the coast and through the passes, lots of time between 70-80 mph. I got around 18 mpg and the coupe ran great, lots of torque of course and no longer do I need to downshift pulling a grade in 5th gear. The stumble I reported two months ago was just the timing around 1-2 degrees off. Acceleration is amazing, I had never experienced the sensation of being pushed into my seat with the old motor that's for sure.

My A/C is now functional for the first time in 10 years that I have owned the coupe which made for a more relaxed drive home through the San Fernando Valley with windows closed. I went with R-134 with new compressor, condenser, hard lines, hoses, expansion valve and fan. I now need some insulation on the hard lines as frost appears quickly and it will drip. I also got 22 mpg on the drive home without Paul as I kept it under 75 mph for the most part, it was a more relaxed cruise. It's now ready for the Targa California drive in late April up the central Cal coast which will add another 1000 miles over 3 1/2 days.

The only trade-off is at idle where it's not as smooth due to the Paul Burke street cam and lightened flywheel. I would keep the stock flywheel next time, it's amazing how fast the RPM s drop when you let off the gas. I still need to remount the glove box after trimming to clear the ECU. And I did it all with Don's guidance (thank you my friend) and about $8K including A/C, quite a bit less when you can do the bulk of the heavy lifting like I did. I'm glad it's all done, I took my time and six months to do everything just right. Just don't expect our experts to give away their expertise for free, they all survive by running their businesses successfully.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 200

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow Chris, that sounds great. Good job!

So much fun to drive. They really are easy even though a little noisy.
Glad you seem to have worked out the gremlins.
I know I'm still playing with jets on my Webers and it's been over 8 months.

Can't wait to have a huge caravan next year. Right?

Gary

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glad you brought up the flywheel. I am not a fan on the street with a ton of power and a light flywheel. Makes me drive like a hack.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris

Must feel amazing to get to this point. Truly beautiful car and the additional power and refinement just adds to the mix.

Lightened flywheel...did the same thing when I rebuilt my 2002. Engine tweeks resulted in big power gain, but the on off modulation in real world driving seriously detracted from the enjoyment. Simply replaced it with stock. All good then. Loved it.