Back In The Game

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well the car or what's left of it is now waiting to be dipped and when I get it back I've got some new plated and polished pieces to stick back on it so there's that I suppose.

IMG_6703.jpeg
IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6706.jpeg
IMG_0524.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for blazing this trail @BavarianCream. Hang onto those door jamb supports for me. I would like to use them next! ;)

I’m really anxious to get your feedback on the dip. I plan to use the same place. My biggest concern was the “rinse”. With you and @autokunst dipping vehicles, I think it may help with some of the tires anecdotes about caustic leaks from seams down the road. I’ll take my chances on that one in favor of a completely rust-free chassis.

I see you guys left the rear fenders on. I plan/hope to leave mine on as well. I’m not thrilled with the amount of abuse that the rear wings go through upon removal. Serious swiss cheese....

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yes will keep everyone posted. It was a tough decision but we ended up going with dipping based on the fact that it's very difficult to totally remove all media after blasting, it just seeps into all crevices but after research there's plus and minuses to both options and this just felt like the right way to go.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not bad!

Exciting times at the dipping facility. Pics show process about half way there with two more days of work to go. Normal trouble spots being revealed but thrilled to see underside in good shape after 2 inches of spray on gunk removed.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They support the car by the roof?

That is interesting, but the shell minus doors/hood/trunk is only about 550lbs.

I sent 440lbs of my parts car chassis to the steel yard. Missing the hood,trunk, doors, roof, nose, and rear fenders. I figure
those extra bits total another 100lbs or so.

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Car arrived back in Seattle from dippers and looks really good. I have never media blasted anything but the results here from acid bath seem to be exactly what's needed to eradicate all of the rust and reveal everything that needs to be addressed. Not having any residual media dust to deal with hidden in the crevices also seems to be a big added bonus.

I was also rather concerned seeing the car suspended by the roof @Stevehose but after talking to the dippers and now seeing the car in person there's absolutely no issue so they must know what they're doing on that front but certainly surprising and at the time a bit worrying.

Body is now being prepped for coat to protect it while metal fabrication takes place and hopefully should have some significant progress by the end of July.

IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0744.jpeg
IMG_0745.jpeg
IMG_0746.jpeg
IMG_0747 2.jpeg
IMG_0748.jpeg
IMG_0749.jpeg

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been searching and reading through threads but it doesn't seem like there's been a good solution or replacement for the sunroof headliner cardboard piece. Does anyone know of anything that might have changed recently or a good fix? Ours is salvageable I think but other options would be interesting too.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 117

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paint colors. As an interesting aside, after the dipping, there were a couple of places where the paint layers revealed themselves nicely. It appears the car was painted Inka before the factory shipped Ceylon. The BMW documentation indicates a Ceylon car. So hypothetically, if originality was as important as it is with some other marquees, then what would be considered the "original" color to restore the car to?

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 115

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paint colors. As an interesting aside, after the dipping, there were a couple of places where the paint layers revealed themselves nicely. It appears the car was painted Inka before the factory shipped Ceylon. The BMW documentation indicates a Ceylon car. So hypothetically, if originality was as important as it is with some other marquees, then what would be considered the "original" color to restore the car to?
Sven,

If there are a few places you can confirm this, ideally very different places on the car and at least three, then I would say the car was Inka before it was Ceylon. I would always check that a part of the body hadn't been replaced with something that was Inka originally and therefore painted Ceylon as a repair. That said, many will rely on the BMW paperwork.

I may be unusual that I rely on the actual evidence, as I know of more than a couple of confirmed cases BMW records are inaccurate.

Happy to go look at it if you or Michael want?

BTW, shell looks great

Pete

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's a good point as we do know body work was done and at least one repaint from Ceylon to Blue. Maybe Inka panels were used in a repair? I think we've seen Inka show up on in at least two places but the acid bath has wiped the rest off. I'll go back to BMW and see if they have any additional records or can offer any opinion on whether there could have been a factory repaint after the car was originally painted Inka and maybe switched to Ceylon.