Back In The Game

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our Forum doesn’t like iPhone/iPad pics in Landscape mode so I try to use Portrait. Funny thing is if you edit your photos by rotating them 360 degrees they show up fine, go figure.
Guys have been working really hard on getting body ready for epoxy hopefully next couple of days and the metal work can begin. Not sure why these pics loaded sideways

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been searching and reading through threads but it doesn't seem like there's been a good solution or replacement for the sunroof headliner cardboard piece. Does anyone know of anything that might have changed recently or a good fix? Ours is salvageable I think but other options would be interesting too.
the board is for sound control only, so great shape maybe isn't important, maybe coat with wood hardener or resin?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the board is for sound control only, so great shape maybe isn't important, maybe coat with wood hardener or resin?
I disagree on that. The non-sunroof cars have metal hoops to hold the liner in place. The sunroof cars do not, so there would be a big sag in the liner under the sunroof receiving tray. The liner is glued to a thin layer of foam which is in turned glued to the board.

Have others gone without the board and figured out if hoops could work?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree on that. The non-sunroof cars have metal hoops to hold the liner in place. The sunroof cars do not, so there would be a big sag in the liner under the sunroof receiving tray. The liner is glued to a thin layer of foam which is in turned glued to the board.

I don't think the headliner in a sunroof car should be glued to the board, we actually tried it both ways, long story
Without being glued to the board, it is attached at the edges
Looks good, no sag

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Perhaps @JetDexter can chime in. They completely rebuilt the sunroof frame on the CSE.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
well 'to each his own', opinions may vary etc.
The board doesn't reach the edges, so some place if glued to the board, the glued down would stop, and it would be free, and there would be a kink or mark off, which I don't see looking at photos
Plus I asked the upholster that SFdon uses

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just took the big triangle front window frames into the platers to be re-chromed and was told that the bottom pieces held in by two big screws and two large rivets are actually a different metal from the main frame section. Pot metal I think I was told.

Has anyone had any experience taking these apart and putting them back together, having them plated separately or together would also be interesting to know about too.

IMG_0833.jpeg
IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_0835.jpeg

Thanks.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took them apart and plated them separately from the frames. The metal is zinc as are the exterior door handles. My plater didn’t have any issues plating them. I’ve heard of people playing the whole assembly as one piece but I can’t imagine that it would be without issue.

I used some two piece fasteners that look like rivets but screw together to reinstall the triangular piece. It worked very well.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I took them apart and plated them separately from the frames. The metal is zinc as are the exterior door handles. My plater didn’t have any issues plating them. I’ve heard of people playing the whole assembly as one piece but I can’t imagine that it would be without issue.

I used some two piece fasteners that look like rivets but screw together to reinstall the triangular piece. It worked very well.
Agreed, my plater had no problems as separate pieces. Threaded rivets work great and are easy to use, brand name is Nutserts.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
what are the tail light frames made from? I have had good luck with Salt Lake Chrome, any other suggestions?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score

two piece fasteners as I think you aee talking about, are called Chicago screws

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
what are the tail light frames made from? I have had good luck with Salt Lake Chrome, any other suggestions?
I'm using Salt Lake bumper and Chrome right now and they seems to be doing a really good job so far but will check the other guys out too.

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And down the rabbit hole we go......

Was very lucky to find an amazing metal fabricator/welder who has been working on cars since he was 15. He's 17 now :) He a muscle car enthusiast mainly vintage mustangs which bodes well for the unibody and rust portions of this project, he likes to call them "Rustangs" and he's just an overall great guy that was super excited about the project and couldn't wait to get started. He also recently found himself between homes after his house sold too fast and staying with his mother in law apparently results in needing to spend vast amounts of hours working in the shop, how unfortunate. Sorry pics are rotated.

tempImage8AZh2f.png
tempImagenhgrqh.png
tempImageQX66F4.png
tempImagenuh9km.png