BaT: Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

tmh

Reaction score
I made the mistake of having my valve cover painted. It held up well for 15 years. I don't remember my original seats having that stitch but that was many years ago. When I just had my seats redone I did not have the stitch put in, as I was concerned with how the stitch and underlying foam would age. I think the interior on that car looks really nice. It looks like one of the nicer cars I have seen on BAT.
The drip/runs in picture 306 are not consistent with other details of the car. Should the paint below the rear bumpers be textured? When my car was painted I wanted the rocker covers and the underside of the rear quarter panels, below the bumper, textured from a functional and durability basis. I didn't apply all of the engine compartment stickers as I was concerned with how they would age. I still have all of them in a baggy, brand new and 30 years old. I wonder what the reserve on the car is, and how high of a reserve BAT will allow.
I'm sure many of us will be watching this auction.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that zero reflectors look better. I think “correct” is highly subjective. The reflectors are not only correct for cars residing in the US, they are a period correct modification. If the goal is to look like a standard euro CSI, there are a number of other changes one might want to make. The vast majority of CSI’s had
cloth seats, manual windows, and no AC. I doubt this car will be faulted for these upgrades. (These were factory options but far from the norm).

I think this car is going to get highly scrutinized because it looks very nice, and could get ridiculous. There are many little things to pick apart if one was inclined. As a total package it
looks amazing. Whether it is amazing depends on one’s standards.

Well, I'll stand by my earlier statement. If they wanted to make it correct to that extreme they should have deleted the reflectors etc. Zero pics of the known problem areas and fresh paint could (not saying they do) be indicative of a high end fluff. I mean, we're talking about a coupe. They hide rust better than any other car I know... Then again he could have just forgotten to focus on those problem areas when he was taking the other 415 pictures;)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Strange also is the US dash with seat belt warning, they added a US EPA sticker maybe to get it registered in CA, painted the trans, plenum/manifolds and valve cover (that will look poorly in 2-3 years), Motronic 1.3 dizzy and crank sensor but no AFM, throttle housing has the arm for an automatic along with the vertical accelerator rod, pebble paint coat in spare tire/trunk areas, e12 jack (the head is much too wide just like mine!), tools have been ordered but they won’t be complete or correct, body work done in some guys back yard in Calimesa near San Bernardino, that’s a lot of filler on the tail panel, homemade spare tire hold down post with a wing nut, black kick panels, no rubber seal on B pillar cover to fender, screws in front door wood strips at rear, based on window switches and lack of breakers it has sardine can motors but no access plugs, clock keeps perfect time as long as it 9:58, gas door boot is not attached to body, yes most is nit picking but at the price this will sell for these details should have been fixed. And I can’t unsee the side stripes which are not level to the belt trim!

Somehow I'm reminded of this scene from Road Warrior...

;)

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Its a beautiful car. Already at $120K. That’s great.
But I look at the shifter surround on this car and I‘ll wager a red handle screwdriver that it’s a converted automatic surround. A mediocre conversion job at best.
F092E681-7C12-4EC6-9DFA-91611E576B8E.jpeg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice presentation. There are many purists that can easily find "indiscretions", but many other enthusiasts just want one of these, and it looks very appealing. In my view, I think the "roadster" hair + the keyboard-in-the-introduction video, clearly surpasses the most recent "best" at squeezing top dollar out of a Coupe for sale on BAT, which was a Poodle somewhere in the ad, so congratulations for the innovation and GLWTS to the seller. ;)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is this a true csi?

Would not have an automatic.

Thinking the m30b35 came from an automatic if it has said rod.

I'm planning on getting a Miller MAF to hide inside a csi airbox as the original afm is kinda ugly. I wonder if that's what this owner did.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It appears to be a true CSI that got many parts from a donor car.

Is this a true csi?

Would not have an automatic.

Thinking the m30b35 came from an automatic if it has said rod.

I'm planning on getting a Miller MAF to hide inside a csi airbox as the original afm is kinda ugly. I wonder if that's what this owner did.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It appears to be a true CSI that got many parts from a donor car.
Agreed. The VIN says it’s a CSI. Not disputing that at all. Pretty sure that no CSI came with automatic transmission.
So it appears that the shift surround is not original to the car.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Receipts from Carl show auto shift platform conversion.
Surprised. They could have done a better job. Peeling the vinyl and filling and sanding the grooves in the wood left behind by the auto selector trim is not hard. I did mine and its not that noticeable.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that the price is $130 K, the nits become more part of the price of the car and worth pointing out what the next owner might want to fix. If that's a Coupe King stainless exhaust, the tail end should have been installed higher. I have one on my car and it takes some adjusting to get it up in the rear valance groove. There are way more good things about this car than problems and the high bidder will have a very nice car to drive and not a garage project that needs too many fixes before it's on the road.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Strange also is the US dash with seat belt warning, they added a US EPA sticker maybe to get it registered in CA, painted the trans, plenum/manifolds and valve cover (that will look poorly in 2-3 years), Motronic 1.3 dizzy and crank sensor but no AFM, throttle housing has the arm for an automatic along with the vertical accelerator rod, pebble paint coat in spare tire/trunk areas, e12 jack (the head is much too wide just like mine!), tools have been ordered but they won’t be complete or correct, body work done in some guys back yard in Calimesa near San Bernardino, that’s a lot of filler on the tail panel, homemade spare tire hold down post with a wing nut, black kick panels, no rubber seal on B pillar cover to fender, screws in front door wood strips at rear, based on window switches and lack of breakers it has sardine can motors but no access plugs, clock keeps perfect time as long as it 9:58, gas door boot is not attached to body, yes most is nit picking but at the price this will sell for these details should have been fixed. And I can’t unsee the side stripes which are not level to the belt trim!

Wish my car looked half as nice as this, but still can't avoid the obvious backyard "restoration" shop you noted. And my thought on the filler on the rear panel as well when I saw it. So many nice pictures, but few of the areas called out in the Cain thread regarding seller disclosure. They did manage to get one rocker panel shot in there though.
The outside sure is pretty, or will be once you re-apply or remove those stripes.

rocker.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If that's a Coupe King stainless exhaust, the tail end should have been installed higher. I have one on my car and it takes some adjusting to get it up in the rear valance groove.

CK does use stainless magnaglow mufflers. They flow freely with no baffling inside them, and as you know are quite loud. This exhaust uses a magnaflow muffler but the pipe is aluminuzed mild steel with crush bends. A true performance exhaust such as CK’s will have mandrel bent pipes. Mandrel bending ensures that the exhaust diameter stays consistent throughout the bends. A crush bend reduces the diameter although it is still somewhat smith. The worst type of bend is a crinkle bend from Midas.

Many forum memebrs will have exhausts with crush bends. Just explaining the difference for folks.

BaT exhaust:
057AA6D8-F353-4D50-86CD-C89D1CE162C9.jpeg

CK Exhaust:
C6F2CD1F-8119-46BC-AE06-C36E3DD5BFD7.jpeg

Mandrel Bending:

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I agree that zero reflectors look better. I think “correct” is highly subjective. The reflectors are not only correct for cars residing in the US, they are a period correct modification. If the goal is to look like a standard euro CSI, there are a number of other changes one might want to make. The vast majority of CSI’s had
cloth seats, manual windows, and no AC. I doubt this car will be faulted for these upgrades. (These were factory options but far from the norm).

I think this car is going to get highly scrutinized because it looks very nice, and could get ridiculous. There are many little things to pick apart if one was inclined. As a total package it
looks amazing. Whether it is amazing depends on one’s standards.
I notice that the higher the BAT prices go, the more picky the forum comments get. Which makes sense. I don’t care for a couple choices this owner made (e.g. the stripes) but overall this thing has been showered with love and money and who can fault that. One thing that bothers me is the driver side shut line - pretty fundamental.
131F9553-F205-40DA-982B-662A7041030A.png

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, I wondered about that dash. Early grab rail and no fasten seat belt module.

Not to mention, the various 2002 pictures thrown in there. Seems like someone was sloppy w/the presentation.

Definitely needs more restoration photos. I.e. what rust repair (if any) was done.

Beautiful car, but price so far seems insane for a backyard restoration with peculiar details.