Beautiful 72 on SD craigslist

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
This Coupe is currently highlighting Carl Nelson's LJ Independent's Restoration section and if all goes as planned I am to be there tomorrow afternoon.

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/restorations/

In case it's not listed here is Carl's work on the engine bay....Gorgeous!

3077533210_3d6f6a95b4.jpg

Cheers!

Ran

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK Chicane, I'll take the bait. What is so funny about the price? Granted, I will freely admit that I don't know squat about the car aside from the pics; however, if the reality matches the pictures, then, in my opinion, that car is reasonably priced. Heck, there is probably over $10K in that engine alone (I should know, I have Carl's 1.3 Motronic conversion) and the interior and paint looks outstanding. The front airdam is not my cup of tea, but it looks well executed.

I've had four coupes now and have learned the hard way that unless you want a project and/or you want to do a lot of the work yourself, the way to instant coupe gratification is to buy the best one available (at your price of course); otherwise, you will most likely sink $30K+ to get it to a high level. Case in point, I have a '74 CS auto that I bought for $11K which, for me, was worth the high price because it is rust free. The engine and interior are perfectly fine as is, but because I want to put my stamp on it with an FI, 5sp, 3.5L and a new leather interior, I'm willing to bet that after all is completed, I will have about $30K spent on it.

I think with coupe purchasing it is either pay big $$$ up front for a solid example or save $ up front, buy a less solid car and be prepared to spend $$$ anyway, just over a longer period of time.

Yes, the economy is still weak, but if the seller is pateint, I'm willing to bet it will sell for around the asking price.

-Walt

acat2002

Reaction score
What's wrong with the price?

I agree with Jay, since when is $30k completely unreasonable for a near perfect example?
Even with little no-harm Dinan mods, this car looks tight!

I usually am standing tall right next to Chicane belly-laughing at asking prices, but not on this one. Even in this economy, $30,000 is not a lot of money for a throroughly-restored car of any type.

I understand and agree that cost does NOT equal value, but is entry-level for a "driver" with tatty interior and unsorted mechanicals is low-to-mid teens, then you could easily justify this price.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with all of you. But. And there always is the eternal But. A guy here in the East, PA, hunted for two years. He passed on some cars we all thought he was crazy to let slip buy.
But, eventually he found a coupe in the countryside West of Philadelphia for $18K. It is the equal of a buddy's car that takes First in any show he enters.

But one must have patience. As my son said on returning from Second Grade one day,
"patience is a Virgin."
Steve

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
This looks like a great looking car at a great buy assuming no rust...much better than the
POS I was sold by someone on this site that claimed it was a rust free car. Paid 22k for a car that had front and rear collision, rust required door, hood, trunk replaced. The differential was falling off, the attachment for the seats had been modified so had to be welded and replaced. When you opened the glove box it would fall to the ground. Transmission never leaked because it had no more fluid to leak out. The rear brake caliber was stuck in a grip position....I can go on and on and on.
Always do an inspection and don't trust anyone that you do not personally know no matter how good they sound on the phone. I would buy this car in a heart beat over what I went through.
abe

Last edited:

chicane

Reaction score
OK Chicane, I'll take the bait. What is so funny about the price?

First off has anyone here actually checked out this car up close or in person or is everyone here prepared to plunk down a 4 year education from William & Mary on a car they have never seen?

I'll tell you what is so funny, that ^^^, and the fact that you have a 180K miles car that is resto modded with Dinan suspension components (for what car I do not know as they do not make E9 stuff), given that on any unibody car, chassis flex will certainly come into play and during normal use weaken the chassis to some degree. That the new engine and mechanicals do not enhance the car but may indeed mask other issues. That we have seen time and time again that resto mods DO NOT add value to coupes (or most other cars) but devalue them. That during the peak of the market the few pristine originals were garnering $40K (max) and that a well worn driver goes for about $4k-$8. That you are basing your ASSUMPTIONS on a weak Craigslist ad with three small pics (they couldn't link to a bigger site with more pics?).

Not to mention someone said he spent twice as much building this thing, REALLY?? The ad said original paint which means no paint or body which is by far the biggest expense. How much do you think a blueprinted 3.5 goes for I would say about $5K. thow in the other stuff and you have another $5k (MAX).

My guess is someone found a rust free coupe in decent condition, but with a tired 3.0 and suspension and decided to re-market it as an E9 Hot Rod with a new engine and suspension.

Yes, I LOL'ed. Even if the car is what they say it is I would say $18-19K max....IMHO.

Last edited:

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have seen the car - but not up close. I would say it is in great to very good condition from what I last saw. My opinion is 30K in a good bargain. I am a little surprised with the advertising strategy....

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Walter, I got to ask... you Quoted this.

"Heck, there is probably over $10K in that engine alone (I should know, I have Carl's 1.3 Motronic conversion) and the interior and paint looks outstanding."

Did you have Carl do your car or did you buy it with the convertion?
If so What was the cost of his 1.3 Motronic setup? If you don't want to say anything thats fine.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Barry

I took a stock car to Carl and had him do the 3.5 engine transplant, 5 speed and 1.3 EFI. If he does all the work, provides all necessary supplemental hardware the costs is north of 15K.

I gotta say, while not cheap, this was the BEST money I have spent on this car to date - hands down.

atan888

Reaction score
This looks like a great looking car at a great buy assuming no rust...much better than the
POS I was sold by someone one on this site that claimed it was a rust free car. Paid 22k for a car that had front and rear collision, rust required door, hood, trunk replaced. The differential was falling off, the attachment for the seats had been modified so had to be welded and replaced. When you opened the glove box it would fall to the ground. Transmission never leaked because it had no more fluid to leak out. The rear brake caliber was stuck in a grip position....I can go on and on and on.
Always do an inspection and don't trust anyone that you do not personally know no matter how good they sound on the phone. I would buy this car in a heart beat over what I went through.
abe

I feel your pain Abe. It happened to me once with a Guilia Ti. Instead of fixing all the problems I ended up selling the car for a lost. The only ones who benefit are the PO and my mechanic. Lesson learned.

pamp

Reaction score
Original cars

Just curious...How many cars still exist in unmolested, numbers matching, rust free and totally original condition? Museum or "Pebble Beach" quality? And what would you pay for such a car "chicane"? Let us say a vacuum sealed '73 CSI

CSfan

Reaction score
First off has anyone here actually checked out this car up close or in person or is everyone here prepared to plunk down a 4 year education from William & Mary on a car they have never seen?

I'll tell you what is so funny, that ^^^, and the fact that you have a 180K miles car that is resto modded with Dinan suspension components (for what car I do not know as they do not make E9 stuff), given that on any unibody car, chassis flex will certainly come into play and during normal use weaken the chassis to some degree. That the new engine and mechanicals do not enhance the car but may indeed mask other issues. That we have seen time and time again that resto mods DO NOT add value to coupes (or most other cars) but devalue them. That during the peak of the market the few pristine originals were garnering $40K (max) and that a well worn driver goes for about $4k-$8. That you are basing your ASSUMPTIONS on a weak Craigslist ad with three small pics (they couldn't link to a bigger site with more pics?).

Not to mention someone said he spent twice as much building this thing, REALLY?? The ad said original paint which means no paint or body which is by far the biggest expense. How much do you think a blueprinted 3.5 goes for I would say about $5K. thow in the other stuff and you have another $5k (MAX).

My guess is someone found a rust free coupe in decent condition, but with a tired 3.0 and suspension and decided to re-market it as an E9 Hot Rod with a new engine and suspension.

Yes, I LOL'ed. Even if the car is what they say it is I would say $18-19K max....IMHO.

Very well put! It does have the "Carl Nelson" say so badge. More like 19K-20K.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Uh, I received pics from the seller. That ain't the same engine compartment! It may have a 3.5, but it does not have a nicely detailed engine compartment. The picture on Carl Nelson's site does show the exterior, but the picture below it of an engine must be from a different car. I thought the price wasn't too crazy until I saw the actual engine compartment photo. A letdown.

chicane

Reaction score
Uh, I received pics from the seller. That ain't the same engine compartment! It may have a 3.5, but it does not have a nicely detailed engine compartment. The picture on Carl Nelson's site does show the exterior, but the picture below it of an engine must be from a different car. I thought the price wasn't too crazy until I saw the actual engine compartment photo. A letdown.

Can you post the pics?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Alpina 2 piece wheels? It does look like a spun aluminum rim, not the typical Alpinas I'm familiar with.

Would like to see those!

atan888

Reaction score
I spoke with the owner today and is a nice guy. He owned this car since 1988 and was purchased from a relative who imported the car from Germany. The car is an original unrestored CSI. Exterior is all original paint w/ an aftermarket front spoiler. The motor has bigger pistons. It has Dinan suspension with adj shocks, Staggered 2 pcs 16" Alpina wheels and custom red interior. If that is the engine bay in the 2nd post or similar then 30k is a reasonable price.

No offense to anyone and not to mention names. I have seen cars here for sale in person that was praised but in reality is a POS. Believe me up to this day my friend has not figured out how to part it out to recover some of his money. Its true you get what you paid for but in most cases good examples are all being criticized. I'm currently restoring a coupe (jabberjaw) and for sure 30k wont bring you far.

Last edited: