Beautiful 72 on SD craigslist

atan888

Reaction score
Lucky boy to have a nice Pagoda. Abe pls adopt me =) Ill settle for a coupe. Regarding paint my coupe cost around 16k. It was a decent shell with dents, minor rust that needed to be cut , scraped to bare metal and shot with Glasurit. It had very thick bondo before and now it barely has any. All the dents where all hammered out. That also include the reinforcement of the chasis and rear diff mount.

Chicane are your M3s E30s? I had a couple as well one is a Dinan turbo and the other was a 2.5 stroker and they are fun to drive.

Magazinefeature-6.jpg

Magazinefeature-4.jpg

Magazinefeature-3.jpg

Magazinefeature-2.jpg

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chicane,

Though I said in the beginning that "if the reality matches the pictures" that the car might be worth $30K, I have to admit that I too started to laugh when I saw the actual photos of the engine compartment. But on second glance, I started to see that really there was nothing to laugh at. While the engine bay clearly needs a respray and the engine and components need detailing there is nothing else wrong with it; most notably, I didn't see any signs of rust.

It is also clear that he does not have the 1.3 Motronic system; however, aren't you the one that places a premium on originality? So, in your book, the originality of this engine makes it more valuable, right? The owner or potential buyer could respray this engine bay and "freshen up" the components for a relatively small investment. Are you still laughing at his asking price even though the car meets your requirements (minus the air dam and improved suspension bits which are easy to delete)?

I haven't shopped for a paint quote in a while; however, I imagine the cost of a "respray" alone would be less than $3K. The paint is the final step and from everything I have read, the easiest. A good paint job is all about the foundation that is laid and even a non-rusty coupe will require many hours of sanding, blocking, etc. to make the paint long lasting and look outstanding. If you want just a paint job, you can take your coupe to MACCO and probably spend less than $1K.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but just like my question to you about a shop that you know of that will rebuild and install a 3.5L for $5K or less that you didn't answer, I ask in all seriousness; do you know of a good/reputable shop that will repaint a coupe for $3K? My '74 is in need of new paint (no body repair required) and I will be looking for a shop in the Spring/Summer. Please share your info; quality shops should be shared for all on this board.

-Walt

chicane

Reaction score
No such thing as a simple respray on these cars unless they were already stripped previously, fixed the bondo, rusts, dents, and any other e9 pandora's box found.
It may cost you 3k for the respray...+3k to prep +3-5k properly fix rust, cut, weld...
abe

Is my typing off sir? There is such thing as a simple respray if you find a SOLID BODY with original paint (such as the car in question). If the car requires all of the work you mentioned then it isn't going to garner the big bucks...

Ryan the Gnome

Reaction score
A quality respray on a coupe for $3K is pretty unlikely. I work in a paint dept. of a very reputable body shop and have for a long time. When I painted my Hartge E30 about a year ago, I had about $1500 just in materials. That's at my wholesale price too! Now I don't don't have a lot of experience with coupes just yet but I'm fairly certain that finding a coupe that requires very little prep work to paint is highly unlikely. I'd say 5-6 grand is getting a bit closer but 9-10 grand is more realistic for a truly nice job.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Perhaps, but I also have a couple of mint M3's to give me the giggles the rest of the week."

Chic,

I hope your M3s give you joy. For me, I have my family, my friends (many from the wonderful vintage BMW community), then my cars and I also enjoy sharing the few bits of BMW knowledge I have acquired while recognizing I am not an expert by any means. I have also been through a complete restoration of my e9 which was a $10K car at purchase. I didn't have the skills or resources to do the required body work and such and at 57 I don't feel like getting greasy up to my shoulders, up to my elbows is enough, I did the former when I was younger. Living in southern California I have also seen many, many coupes in various conditions, including Peter's and Carl's offerings, and have a pretty accurate sense of what it takes to bring our coupes to a standard we would all like to possess. We all have an opportunity to learn from our friends on this board and I enjoy reading the posts every day, In fact I look forward to reading them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and is free to express it here. I would encourage you to keep an open mind and to listen to what others here have to offer, whether it is BMW related or just respectful conversation.

M6_1988

Reaction score
interesting

I wrote a lot today here - but the PC went off, so I try again.

I've just registered a week ago. This threat is interesting in many ways. As some might have read, I'm searching for an almost perfect 3.0CSi shifter for my best friend from elementary school, who became a Ceo of a big corporation. He wants to start a collection of classic cars, he just got a Z8
to start with.
Finding a restored and almost perfect E9 in Germany is nearly impossible. The best cars are in the hands of collectors.
Knowing many people in the E30, E9 and E24 scene, I learned, that a full restauration will exceed to mark of about 30.000 EUR, including everything (interior, body work, engie, repaint, wheels and tires).

After having seen the 'original' photo of the engine room of the discussed 3.0CSI - I was very disappointed.
However, in my view, looking from the perspective of a collector - this car will need some extra big money to turn it into a rare special collector car.

The price is not competitive, when it comes to the European market. The car might need another $ 10 to be spent to make it almost perfect - that of course depends on the overall body condition, the engine, trans and so on.

I agree with all critical comments on that car. Whoever added the clean engine room pics didn't really help the seller.....

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the funny position of defending this particular coupe of which I know little about except from what I see in the pictures.

The engine bay in this coupe is fine from what I've seen and I have seen all types. It does not appear to have rust. I would much rather have a dirty, tired engine bay than a clean, shiny and rusty one. Just a guess, but I bet you could get the inside of this coupe to match the outside with about a grand.

M6 1988, what are you basing the $10K figure on? If you were really anal about originality all you would have to do is delete the air dam and replace the Dinan suspension with an original one. I can't see that costing more than $1K unless there is a lot more than springs/shocks that have been replaced.

If you want to make this an "almost perfect" car (and why would one want to do that with a non CSL anyway) then, yeah, you might put way more than $10K into it.

-Walt

acat2002

Reaction score
The engine bay in this coupe is fine from what I've seen and I have seen all types. It does not appear to have rust. I would much rather have a dirty, tired engine bay than a clean, shiny and rusty one. -Walt

I've been watching every jump all over eathother trying to be "the smartest guy in the room". THere appear to be two issues here. First, there's the always amusing argument over asking prices. Second, the argument is complicated by some random perfect engine bay photo poached from god-only-knows-where.

Fact: the photos that Atan888 kindly posted would never be enough to draw a rational conclusion regarding rust. Even if the photos were extremely high-def, you just can't tell without physically inspecting the metal

Walt - For me, a dirty engine bay is fine for a $15-$20k "driver", but who in this forum would bet their life savings that there is no rust beneath 36-year-old sound deadening material? especially at the seams. For $30k, I think we could all agree that that echelon of pricing would imply completely rust free.

At the risk sounding "punchy", Ran definately did not do anyone any favors by posting that ultra-clean engine bay and claiming that it belongs to this car. You all know the expression associated with "assume" ASS-U-ME. Sorry, Ran that was definately not a "shot over your bow", just a casual observation. Let's be careful to promulgate ONLY known facts, lest we weaken the reliability of this forum.

So far, the only guy in this room that should be commenting on the car's condition is Atan888 because he seems to have the most factual knowledge regarding this car.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Why can't people just make a nice discussion without..."understand, understand" or sarcastically say "is my typing off sir" or "SOLID BODY"? Just make your point without trying to go out of your way to piss people someone.....IMHO. People usually loose an argument and respect when they resort to more personal punches rather staying with the topic in question. Its just a car forum....its not like a lovers quarrel or anything...or at least I hope not. I am married...just in case.
abe

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Acat2002,

100% agree: for $30K on a CSi it would have to be rust free to justify that price for me; 100% agree: you can not draw a solid conclsion that this coupe does not have rust from the pics, I would say that goes of pics of the exterior as well as the engine bay. A thorough inspection from someone who understands where and how to look would be the only way to know for sure.

For me, a dirty engine bay would not be a deal breaker at this price if I was confident there that there wan't any rust. A dirty engine bay might just mean the guy spent more time driving and enjoying it than polishing it. Engine bays are difficult/tedious to detail anyway. Anyone out there think that it is wise to spray down an engine bay with all the nooks and crannies in there? I did that with the first coupe I owned and boy was that engine bay clean, but boy did it have rust. I haven't used water on an engine bay since. I have a rust free coupe that I spend enough time detailing the outside and interior, when it comes to the engine bay I might give it a cursory wipe down once a year, so given all the road grime and heat the engine bay is exposed to, the paint just does not look as good inside as it does outside.

Again everything I say about this coupe is based on whether it is rust free or not. If it has rust, I wouldn't pay a third of that price.

-Walt

MicahO

Reaction score
At the risk sounding "punchy", Ran definately did not do anyone any favors by posting that ultra-clean engine bay and claiming that it belongs to this car. You all know the expression associated with "assume" ASS-U-ME. Sorry, Ran that was definately not a "shot over your bow", just a casual observation. Let's be careful to promulgate ONLY known facts, lest we weaken the reliability of this forum.

It should be noted that bimmerdoc.com still shows on their homepage a picture of this silver Coupe (one of the same pics used in the CL posting), directly above a picture of a silver Coupe engine bay. It's easy to make the conclusion that they are from the same car.

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/restorations/

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Roy has phoned me several times and a few members here have sent me a PM about this particular car wondering why I passed on it. The reasons are personal and don't have anything to do with Roy's car, being a fine example.

Cheers!

Ran

leeman54

Reaction score
Speculation

I thought a forum was the dissemination of information.
I am not getting that impression from the posts recently lodged in regards to the 72 CSI on SD Craigslist.

I see speculation.

We need to be more respectful of each other, and prior to pounding out false statements, innuendo and lies online, get the facts.

It is simple.

1. Surf web for desired item.
2. See desired item
3. Decide if it is actionable.
4. Make an appt.
5. Go get facts.

And here are some facts.
I happen to be closely related to the owner of this car.
I was there when he purchased it in 88, from our Godfather, who purchased it in Europe in 72. It is original with only an engine rebuild, suspension and interior.

It is an awesome car. It has been professionally maintained in Cali since 72. I even owned it for a bit.

Instead of dis-ing an item with no facts, how about taking a deep breath turn off the computer and go interact and get the facts.
Then make the decision on how to communicate to others

chicane

Reaction score
I thought a forum was the dissemination of information.
I am not getting that impression from the posts recently lodged in regards to the 72 CSI on SD Craigslist.

I see speculation.

We need to be more respectful of each other, and prior to pounding out false statements, innuendo and lies online, get the facts.

It is simple.

1. Surf web for desired item.
2. See desired item
3. Decide if it is actionable.
4. Make an appt.
5. Go get facts.

And here are some facts.
I happen to be closely related to the owner of this car.
I was there when he purchased it in 88, from our Godfather, who purchased it in Europe in 72. It is original with only an engine rebuild, suspension and interior.

It is an awesome car. It has been professionally maintained in Cali since 72. I even owned it for a bit.

Instead of dis-ing an item with no facts, how about taking a deep breath turn off the computer and go interact and get the facts.
Then make the decision on how to communicate to others

A. Most of the people on this board are just having a little fun and have no interest in buying this car. So lighten up.

B. Why don't you or the current owner provide more detailed and better quality pics of the vehicle and a lot more detailed facts about the car, instead of a simplistic Craigslist ad and then folks won't have to make assumptions?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let's get one simple fact resolved here as there seems to be some confusion about this car. Since the owner used the same pic as in Carl Nelson's website, are they one and the same car? Other than this, the coupe seems to be a really nice example and I've no quarrels with the asking price, the actual engine bay notwithstanding. $30K is quite a bit of money, but it's not going to get you a concours winning CS coupe.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, Dinan, in its heydays of the early 1990's did produced suspension components for the CS coupes.

keefer

Reaction score
'72 for sale

Hello all,

Here is a bit more info on this car. I know the owner, I've done some work to the car but nothing I would consider major as it has pretty low miles (sorry I do not know exact) and isn't driven daily; more or less a weekend toy of sorts. I wrote about this car on my blog about 18 months ago, a few better pictures and a short blurb on it. Take it for what it is worth, the additional pics may be of use.

http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/bmw-of-the-week-1972-30csi/

I'm opposed to his sale of the car for many reasons, but they mostly have to do with the fact that I feel as though it would be a regrettable sale for him. Additionally it is very difficult to find a 3.0csi for sale in this condition regardless of price. But I am not joining the 'what coupes are worth' discussion.

I will say that I am continually baffled that on many BMW related boards I find owners de-valuing the cars they own. Almost like a publicly traded corporation telling potential shareholders that their company is over-valued. Celebrate the fact that you own an incredible car that has seen a substantial gain in value over the last 5 years. I still see tons of cars go through Barrett-Jackson and Mecum at prices five-times that of a coupe and they are one-fifth an automobile.

Hope the additional pics help. Sorry for any confusion about the engine bay photos the website may have caused, the engine bay on the site does not belong to the 3.0csi discussed here.

Take Care all and enjoy your cars!

Chris Keefer
La Jolla Independent BMW

chicane

Reaction score
Very nice pics, much better and thanks.
But as to the originality, that interior looks brand new and re-upholstered. I see no wear even on the driver's side. Certainly not the upholstery of a 40 year old car with 180K. Not that that is a bad thing. Also the paint looks nice as well. Are you saying this is the original 38 year old paint?