Better with or without chrome wheel arch flares?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know some one who would love to have the arches (if they are the original type) so if you decide to part with them, I’d be happy to connect you guys.

Thanks Keshav, although I plan on keeping them with the car. They are part of this particular car's history that I'd like to share with a future owner, when the time comes.

Cheers!
Dan

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E9314DAC-98D3-4AC5-8BC7-484E067E0583.jpeg
E9314DAC-98D3-4AC5-8BC7-484E067E0583.jpeg
I Didn’t have them on my csl for many a years for the above mentioned reasons, but being a csl standard part, I finally put them on. Now I think they look so cool but also cause I have 245’s rear tires and they fill the wheel wells.

Many many thanks to all guys for your likes.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I first bought my coupe, I went wild with a lot of purchases, some I kept like the 14 x 7 Alpina wheels, others I bought and sold, like the steel wheel arches. The arches look great on a batmobile, not so much on a CS.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 40116 View attachment 40116 I Didn’t have them on my csl for many a years for the above mentioned reasons, but being a csl standard part, I finally put them on. Now I think they look so cool but also cause I have 245’s rear tires and they fill the wheel wells.

I only clicked the 'Like' button on this posting because there isn't a 'LOVE' option :D

One day I will have a CSL

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
they look good in the right car, to me is more tan, but also the color
i recognise they look very good when painted but i think that is ok for light colors like White, yellow, inka,...

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say keep the CSL arch trims if they go with CSL 7J wheels, but otherwise perhaps the wheel arches look a bit empty?

Plus if they're gone there's no need to worry about rot setting in underneath. My E24 had them and I took em off when I had the painted. A bit crunchy underneath!!

OLDBENZ

Reaction score
One benefit of the front CSL wheel arch trims is that they should hide what is otherwise a very awkward meeting of the front spoiler and the front wing. If you want to keep the front spoiler I would keep the wheel arch trim but - and I know you have not asked our opinion on this - I would lose the spoiler and lose the wheel arch trims!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update

I have now removed the CSL wheel trim, and I am glad I did. Not because I necessarily think the car looks better without it, but rather because I found some evidence of rust bubbling beneath the paint directly in front of both rear arches. At this stage it is obviously pretty minor, but I am glad I found it and having done so, I must now take care of it!

2318dm4.jpg

Minor rust bubbling in front of both rear arches :(

2318dm7.jpg

2318dm3.jpg

Right rear arch is obviously pretty minor, but still needs dealing with!

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just me, but I’m not digging the painted arches. They look particularly odd with the black rubber arch seals, especially with light color coupes.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I like the arches in general...they go nicely with the 14x7 rims. The fact they were required to be there to cover the wider rims seals it for me.

It's like the goofy rear window extension on the E30 M3...not exactly graceful but there for a performance reason.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think with some colors they look good ... trying to think which ones. fjord is not one of them imho. my recommendation is to sell them (not to me) because good csl arches are hard to find and expensive.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
One advantage of the chrome trims is that you could choose to do an effective job on the rust bubbles, but not worry too much about the finished paintwork, as you could refit the trims to hide the effective, but perhaps not beautiful, rust repair

Just a thought!

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Dan, If your E9 originally came with them as an optional extra when the car was new (I believe BM sold these as an option on CSi's or a dealer could get them installed during a a later service) I reckon you should keep them on. Especially too if they are still in good condition.
Furthermore I think they really suit your car. The silver contrasts nicely will Fyord, and goes well with your 14x 7" Alpina rims too.
I know most people don't agree, but personally I think they are one of the coolest period E9 items.
(PS You could also fix those little bits of rust, treat and prime, then put the trim back on over the top. Saves respraying Fyiord for the 2 small repaired sections)

Garage 3.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One advantage of the chrome trims is that you could choose to do an effective job on the rust bubbles, but not worry too much about the finished paintwork, as you could refit the trims to hide the effective, but perhaps not beautiful, rust repair

Just a thought!

It is a valid thought and good point, Drew!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Dan, If your E9 originally came with them as an optional extra when the car was new (I believe BM sold these as an option on CSi's or a dealer could get them installed during a a later service) I reckon you should keep them on. Especially too if they are still in good condition.
Furthermore I think they really suit your car. The silver contrasts nicely will Fyord, and goes well with your 14x 7" Alpina rims too.
I know most people don't agree, but personally I think they are one of the coolest period E9 items.
(PS You could also fix those little bits of rust, treat and prime, then put the trim back on over the top. Saves respraying Fyiord for the 2 small the repaired sections)

View attachment 40182

Hi Mal,

Thanks for your input. I realize we are in the minority, but I am actually missing my CSL arches :( Now that I have seen my car with and without them, I have decided I prefer the look with. I don't know whether my CSi was fitted with the CSL wheels and arches from new, but I do know they have been on the car for the vast majority of its life.

Between you and I, the arches will be going back on when I have eliminated the rust bubbles. One day I will have a real CSL. Until then, I am happy that my CSi has a couple of CSL features :D

Fabulous looking Taiga CSL, BTW !!

Cheers!
Dan

Wladek

Reaction score
I also struggled a lot with my thoughts about with or without arch trims for my Fjord CSI - at first i decided that it will be without (as someone mentioned before - clean look, perfect paint etc.), but then after watching a tons of e9 photo's with genuine trims i fell in love with them and finally decided mine will be with.
So i vote for with.