Better with or without chrome wheel arch flares?

G

Reaction score
Wow what beauties :) Thank you Dan !
Is it true that the E9 was almost double the price of an E type when both were new ?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow what beauties :) Thank you Dan !
Is it true that the E9 was almost double the price of an E type when both were new ?

You're welcome! I really don't know how much the E9 coupes were new, but I imagine they were quite a lot more than E Types. Makes me wonder what my 73 CSi would have cost new? Anyone?
Cheers!
Dan

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow! The E9 sure holds her ground well, amidst established classics. I can see the E9’s great future and in another 10-20 years, she will be the one to recon with. Says my third eye!

I agree Keshav, the big coupe holds its own in any company. The gentleman who owns the Ferrari in the photograph collected his car today and dropped off a Lamborghini for service. He owns a truly fabulous collection of cars, several of them well into seven figure values, and yet the car he has been most interested in talking about when he visits my shop is the CSi.

I truly believe our BMWs are going to appreciate dramatically over the next three to five years. As they do, the high cost of restoration will start to make more sense, and as a result there will be more and more high quality cars in circulation. When the big collectors start fighting each other for the best examples that come to market, prices will really start to climb.

I am fortunate enough to have quite a few cars in my stable, some of them what many people might consider to be dream cars. I can honestly say that my favorite car out of all of them for the last several months has been my CSi. I absolutely love it!

Honolulu

Reaction score
For me the arches depend on the base color of the car. Darker cars, keep the arches. Lighter color cars, no arches or paint-matched arches. But I wouldn't paint-match the rare and expensive original arches.

"Bling" is of such late provenance that to me it doesn't have any traction when discussing coupes. I spoke with somebody a while back about surfboards and my preferences for such and he called me "old school". Man, my school is so old it wasn't a school when it was current. Don't label me with your johnny-come-lately references.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You're welcome! I really don't know how much the E9 coupes were new, but I imagine they were quite a lot more than E Types. Makes me wonder what my 73 CSi would have cost new? Anyone?
Cheers!
Dan

In the US a 73 3.0CS was close to $14K, when the last 74s were sold in mid 75 they were closer to $18K due to the exchange rate.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you Stephen, but brass and gold fixtures and door hardware are back.

I know we're a little off topic here, but gold did try to make a comeback in 2016, but it's been short lived, I believe, and from the homes I've done here in LA, I'm not seeing gold or bright brass (and not recommending it) on anyone's homes that hasn't survived from the 80's...LOL. I do like a nice patina on old brass...and I grew up on boats, so I've been surrounded by brass my whole life...I know everything comes back around, but the gold trend was pretty awful..even in the 80's.. Just my opinions, though, and everyone is entitled to their tastes and styles! :).
Truthfully, it's usually the cheap plated garbage that floods the market after a trend picks up that destroys the trend pretty fast...so it's probably my feelings toward the shiny trash that affected me so much..ha! Then again, this is what I do everyday, so I think I get charged up about it..
Anyway, back to the arches! Since they were available, I'm okay with them, even though they're not my cup of tea...

Wladek

Reaction score
Don't know exactly how it was with CSI, but hear/read somewhere that when new CSL was priced the same as 911 RS & almost twice more than Aston Martin V8.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
the 275GTS is on my wish list, but I'd need a good lottery win, and your E9 looks just great sitting next to it. I'll stick with my Chamonix coupe!!

The E-type... despite being a Brit I've never been a fan really, the track just looks too narrow compared to the curved wings, an issue made even worse on the series 3 cars with the wheel arch lip, which brings us (almost) back on topic

Maserati 3500GT anyone?

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_0041.JPG

Series 3 e-type is bargain of the in this line ip

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
maybe, just maybe the price of the jag was cheaper in the UK. seems to me that the e type was more expensive in the USofA

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool Drew. Where did you find the list? I'm guessing it is 1971, as the DBS Aston quoted is still the 6 cylinder, not the V8. I have a 1970 DBS6, which I happen to think is another under appreciated model.
very cool, I happen to like the DBS very much, and yes the 6 cyl models have been under appreciated in the past, with the engines being taken to fit into their more collectable DB predecessors. I think that has changed now though. I remember when you could buy a DBS for £10-15 in the UK not that long ago, unfortunately I did not have a garage at the time.

The table comes from a Martin Buckley book on the coupes, in itself about 20 years old, which I found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/B-M-W-Classic-Cylinder/dp/1873179014
comically out of date!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
George Lazenby drove a DBS in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, fell in love with it then and still do. Sorry for the hijack!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 40382
Series 3 e-type is bargain of the in this line ip

Assuming Drew's list was 1971/72, the dollar to pound exchange rate was around 2.5, which would make the CSi around $15,500 and the E Type at about $9,100, which is in line with the original E Type invoice from 72 I posted earlier. That means the CSi was about 60% more expensive than the E type...which is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
George Lazenby drove a DBS in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, fell in love with it then and still do. Sorry for the hijack!

I think the early DBS Astons have one of the best looking dashes in the automotive world. The cabin is just a wonderful place to be....so long as you're not in a hurry :D

2618dbs3.jpg