car radios

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have a frankfurt stereo radio also. i have always like the look of the becker europa ... they just have that look of coolness about them. having them modified to include bluetooth would be a major plus.

does anybody know if you can upgrade the frankfurt? or anybody that does it?
Just heard back from Tom at beckerautosound.com. Knobs for Europa $40. They can add aux in plug for $50. Bet they do the bluetooth upgrade as well. Mike

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
Is that an E3 or E9 face plate?
Thanks
Koopman.

That is an e9 face plate. The e9 has six slats and the e3 has seven.

It looks like it is probably one of his 3d printed plates (shameless plug from a friend)

Plug away my friend! However they aren’t done yet. Some family stuff has taken precedence. Soooo close!

Hi Guys,
I have two period correct radios that I would like to sell. I also have three A/C face plates for sale. Please PM me if interested.

Post some classified ads Harry! Let me know if you need help with the pictures. I’ll shoot you a text. For those interested, if the factory AC plate is a little ragged (most are), consider getting a radio with the trim plate that goes over the face of the AC plate.

Like one of these:
Sept+sales+0031348948600.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
unfortunately its mono ...

Hmm, yes, but I'll bet that unless you are specifically listening for a wide pan stereo effect you remember from a particular Beatles song, you won't notice the difference while driving.
As a teenager, I used to sit in my car and listen to the stereo and relish the sound surrounding me, but really, don't we have these cars to drive? And aren't these cars actually pretty noisy when underway? (I can't really say from experience since I've driven mine on exactly one short road trip with no radio and a Flintstones sized hole in the passenger floor.)

I have a little bit later vintage Blaupunkt I got free from a friend I'm thinking of putting in to have an suitable brand name, but it needs a new coupler plate behind the tuning knob.
Really, I'll use my phone via an amp and a bluetooth module for most things audio.

Ian

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the look of the Beckers but most have the DIN faceplate, its very hard to find the standard shaft mount style and finding those faceplates is even harder.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the look of the Beckers but most have the DIN faceplate, its very hard to find the standard shaft mount style and finding those faceplates is even harder.
now, that was something i didn't know about the Becker ... a DIN faceplate OR a shaft mount ... okay, maybe i don't want a Becker ... maybe i really like my Frankfurt Stereo as i am NOT going to cut a perfect a/c plate. that being said, i would cut a 3D printed plate ...

Hmm, yes, but I'll bet that unless you are specifically listening for a wide pan stereo effect you remember from a particular Beatles song, you won't notice the difference while driving.
Ian
i don't want to only hear half of the music - some (most) stereo output devices won't push both channels into one if you only use one output plug. and if you like to listen to the Who ... some of those great baselines from Entwhistle might go missing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
now, that was something i didn't know about the Becker ... a DIN faceplate OR a shaft mount ... okay, maybe i don't want a Becker ... maybe i really like my Frankfurt Stereo as i am NOT going to cut a perfect a/c plate. that being said, i would cut a 3D printed plate ...

That was something that I had in mind with printing them. Save an original if you want a DIN radio. You don’t have to cut a 3D one. I just need the specs.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
ANyone have a Becker Europa 2 (stereo installed)? Does it have the right measurements for the AC panel-type radio opening?

I think these things have external amps. W/the amp, you can run hi-level inputs for a real good amp, right?

Also, in the back of the Becker, there's a plug for optional items? Like maybe a bluetooth/aux adapter???

becker-europa-ii-stereo-vintage-chrome-classic-car-fm-radio-amp-mp3-video-mercedes-190sl-113-[2]-6109-p.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That might be a DIN faceplate, need to see the side. All shaft mount radios fit the original opening, it's a standard size. Finding space for that power unit is an issue. They generally have a DIN pin jack in the back, 7 pins if stereo, 6 if mono, buts it's an input for a tape player back in the day but they make the jack now for iPhone and such.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score

i don't want to only hear half of the music - some (most) stereo output devices won't push both channels into one if you only use one output plug. and if you like to listen to the Who ... some of those great baselines from Entwhistle might go missing.
well I came across some of those errant baselines a while ago, then realized they were familiar because they were Entwhistle riffs! Saved to "the vault"! It is possible this was an hallucination however..but that is exactly why I like the Who!;)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just picked up a Becker Europa Stereo just like the one above.

Missing knobs though. Anyone know what the CORRECT knobs would be???

Maybe these?

s-l1600.jpg