car radios

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the radio I got from Becker Autosound. It does look a little too "electronic" for purists but it dows have a removable face plate with a CD slot behind it, USB port, and plug for the XM. Also two output ports for 4-8 speakers and a pretty good amp (40W?). $600 drive out I believe. And no, it doesn't really fit right, I think it's a shade too long. But I really like the modern functions with the original knobs.

Is the zipper in your shift boot facing the dash?

Bwana

Reaction score
Is the zipper in your shift boot facing the dash?

Yes, is it in backwards? Whoops! Lame excuse: I didn't put it in, I had another guy do it while he was doing some other stuff.

And, according to the instructions, it is a single DIN rectangular hole. It appears to have some sort of mounting sleeve such that I can pull the radio out but leave the mounting sleeve. Ever heard of that?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone installed this Becker? I notice it has 6 pushbutton, wonder if there is room in the faceplate for this.
20170504_162426.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That faceplate requires a full DIN cutout (7"x2").

To FIT an AC plate, you need the Europa that has the non-DIN faceplate (they are interchangeable).

See this:
s-l1600.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just installed the correct A/C knobs that I got from Koopman to match the knobs that came with my Vintage radio from Enoz! Still looking for the correct cigarette lighter and front headlight knobs.

8728C5D7-2F4C-43EB-B181-B08FF09F0428.jpeg

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hey Folks...
Been absent here for a bit. Sacrilege, I know. An an '89 e3 m3 has had me otherwise occupied.

About radio. Not a huge priority...but since when did we let that stop us from trying?

I've been thru about 4 head units, from modern to the fake classic RetroSound. Ultimately, I wasn't happy with a classic car having a modern looking head unit. And, I grew tired of the RetroSound because it just didn't look classic enough, especially with the digital display.

Found a good looking Europa II. Had it reconditioned by BeckerSound with an input for my Ipod. It works ok, but not great, and the radio reception is to 70's specs. I finally decided to disable the Becker and put a modern head unit in my glove compartment. I get full hands free calling/cell reception, streaming audio from my phone. I also control the HU thru the ir remote hidden in the dash. I have 5 speakers in the car and an amp under the rear seat, but I have no sub in the car.

Given the road noise in the cabin, ear level audio separation isn't great. I wonder about an interior sub, tastefully added under the rear seats, or behind the rear seat armrest. Don't think I'll do more than wonder right now though. Bigger fish to fry, like making the SS exhaust less prone to waking up my neighbors...

MyInterior.png

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Folks...
Been absent here for a bit. Sacrilege, I know. An an '89 e3 m3 has had me otherwise occupied.

About radio. Not a huge priority...but since when did we let that stop us from trying?

I've been thru about 4 head units, from modern to the fake classic RetroSound. Ultimately, I wasn't happy with a classic car having a modern looking head unit. And, I grew tired of the RetroSound because it just didn't look classic enough, especially with the digital display.

Found a good looking Europa II. Had it reconditioned by BeckerSound with an input for my Ipod. It works ok, but not great, and the radio reception is to 70's specs. I finally decided to disable the Becker and put a modern head unit in my glove compartment. I get full hands free calling/cell reception, streaming audio from my phone. I also control the HU thru the ir remote hidden in the dash. I have 5 speakers in the car and an amp under the rear seat, but I have no sub in the car.

Given the road noise in the cabin, ear level audio separation isn't great. I wonder about an interior sub, tastefully added under the rear seats, or behind the rear seat armrest. Don't think I'll do more than wonder right now though. Bigger fish to fry, like making the SS exhaust less prone to waking up my neighbors...

View attachment 32274
Hey, This is interesting. I have just taken ownership of a '74/75 era Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo unit. Can you be more specific regards amp and speakers used? Can you hear your chosen music on the freeway? Any recommendations for the rest of us trying to convert old school to modern performance? I recognize the cabin inside an E9 is loud, and perhaps this is a starting point, but anything you can offer regards your journey to acceptable sound levels welcomed. Thanks, Mike

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

Most amps have provisions for Line In meaning speaker wires from your Blaupunkt. And you can buy a seven pin stereo DIN plug on eBay with a mini jack to feed the radio from an iPhone or iPod, etc, it turns off the receiver whenever the jack is utilized. You only then need a source to switch on the amp, modern radios have a trigger wire, the older ones do not. For just two speakers get a two channel amp or you can take a four channel amp and bridge the outputs into two channels doubling the power. I just don’t use Bluetooth as it kills the phone battery much quicker although many go this route.

Chris

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I trigger my amp with the power antenna wire. I am going to install a subwoofer at some point.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mike,

Most amps have provisions for Line In meaning speaker wires from your Blaupunkt. And you can buy a seven pin stereo DIN plug on eBay with a mini jack to feed the radio from an iPhone or iPod, etc, it turns off the receiver whenever the jack is utilized. You only then need a source to switch on the amp, modern radios have a trigger wire, the older ones do not. For just two speakers get a two channel amp or you can take a four channel amp and bridge the outputs into two channels doubling the power. I just don’t use Bluetooth as it kills the phone battery much quicker although many go this route.

Chris
Very helpful, just what I was looking for. Thank you Chris! :)

vabole.lv

Reaction score
... I have 5 speakers in the car and an amp under the rear seat, but I have no sub in the car.

Hi! I wonder - what is the setup of your 5 speakers? 2 rear, one central and... did you managed to hide the speakers in the kick panels?
I'm quite big audiophile and I really want to get a nice sound in the car, but at the same time - keep a clean interior... sounds impossible

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi! I wonder - what is the setup of your 5 speakers? 2 rear, one central and... did you managed to hide the speakers in the kick panels?
I'm quite big audiophile and I really want to get a nice sound in the car, but at the same time - keep a clean interior... sounds impossible

" I really want to get a nice sound in the car "

decent sound in an e9 could be found if the engine is stopped and the car parked in a quiet area
those are essential boundary conditions , now you have to add the correct gear, provide adequate absorbent material to avoid odd reflections

all in all a big job....

or...you can install a radio with MP3 and 4 speakers
ask me why :)

iconoclast6

Reaction score
My takeaway is 1) the predominant sound in an e9 will always be the engine unless cruising in 5th gear, and 2) that a sub will assist the separation that audiophiles love. I have my 2 front speakers hidden in the kickpanels. A tweeter is behind the dash speaker grille and finally, 2 in the rear shelf.

I have a working, but disabled period correct Blaupunkt Europa installed. My working head unit, with hand free calling and streaming media, is hidden in the glove compartment. I have not yet figured out how to add a sub speaker that will not require cutting. I abhor the look of a speaker box in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk