car radios

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
.............. why?

Well audiophile is quite a serious word, to me means a dedicated room with a soft and thick rug, absorbent panels in walls and some selected equipment dated back in the seventies from yamaha including px3 turntable, sansui au555a solid state amp, and huge ns20 yamaha speakers with additional ja0506 supertweeters, proper cables and a good biblioteque including some ninetheen century british authors, good quality records and a comfortable sofa

The e9 is for driving, it is an elegant coupe, i own the carb-ed version, it drives fast in twisty roads, but it is not very quiet, an open air design with lot of glass surface, pretty flat and hard trim interior panels, and not the best sound insulation makes it far from being audiophile to me.

I enjoy a blaupunkt mono radio paired with a hirschmann automatic antenna, four speakers to cope adequatedly with the required impedance, and a din connection for my old ipod. It is good enough, but i listen to it now and then, normally slow speed and or when parked waiting for my partner. Look is correct to me.
Speakers, one in dash other under passenger seat and two in the rear shelf.
I also have an uberendegler (fader) in the glove box.
I am happy with this setup, and i keep a clean interior too

Last edited:

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Sounds like a mature and reasonable adaptation to the car we love.

I started with the hope that my reconditioned Blaupunkt Europa that included Bluetooth capability would be up to snuff. But the AM/FM reception wasn’t adequate for me.

Putting a modern head unit in the glove compartment, along with a hidden am/fm antennae, was the trick for me. The result, along with streaming from my phone, has provided a mix of classic/bespoke utilitarian modernity.

That said, our coupes will never provide the same audio comfort as modern cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vabole.lv

Reaction score
I must apologize for the incorrect use of the word audiophile then... I don't seek for a totally isolated room to enjoy my music. I like to hear the road and my engine revving. It's like a good movie that needs a perfect soundtrack. The engine sounds good with music. It's like two channels, but both of them need to be good. I have nice audio in my vw cabrio. And that is one of a hell noisy car... What I wanted to ask is - perfect places of hiding speakers/units and at the same time receiving good audio quality (sorry, speakers under the seat doesn't sound like an option). In the cabrio I used kick panels - in 1956 cabrio there's a huge space to hide the largest speakers, and tweeters in front of me on the door panels. Two more three-way speakers on my improvized back shelf... Now it's time to achieve something close to that in my shark... I'm open to hear your experiences

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like a mature and reasonable adaptation to the car we love.

I started with the hope that my reconditioned Blaupunkt Europa that included Bluetooth capability would be up to snuff. But the AM/FM reception wasn’t adequate for me.

Putting a modern head unit in the glove compartment, along with a hidden am/fm antennae, was the trick for me. The result, along with streaming from my phone, has provided a mix of classic/bespoke utilitarian modernity.

That said, our coupes will never provide the same audio comfort as modern cars.

i was surprised and fascinated by the FM reception of the old blaupunkt, it is indeed very good, but it requires a fully extended aerial of course

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Cool. I did an antenna delete for my car. Somehow the hidden antenna I use, did not provide a usable signal with the Blaupunkt.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I must apologize for the incorrect use of the word audiophile then... I don't seek for a totally isolated room to enjoy my music. I like to hear the road and my engine revving. It's like a good movie that needs a perfect soundtrack. The engine sounds good with music. It's like two channels, but both of them need to be good. I have nice audio in my vw cabrio. And that is one of a hell noisy car... What I wanted to ask is - perfect places of hiding speakers/units and at the same time receiving good audio quality (sorry, speakers under the seat doesn't sound like an option). In the cabrio I used kick panels - in 1956 cabrio there's a huge space to hide the largest speakers, and tweeters in front of me on the door panels. Two more three-way speakers on my improvized back shelf... Now it's time to achieve something close to that in my shark... I'm open to hear your experiences

not incorrect, just your word, same word maybe different meanings

i profoundly dislike cutting holes in the e9 panels, so doors and kickpanels are not an option to me (and i am not the only one)
if you cut holes there you will regret in the future as replacement panels are NLA, so please think about it twice or better thrice

the speaker under the seat is just to keep impedance at 4ohm together with the dash hole other, but this has to do with original old radios, if you push something newer you probably could do without

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool. I did an antenna delete for my car. Somehow the hidden antenna I use, did not provide a usable signal with the Blaupunkt.

the rear right side place for the antenna is something so good looking IMHO,...

EAA91A75-C3E0-4A7C-8E2C-3BFF24EB4F5A.jpeg

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blaupunkt Frankfurt came in parts bin with my car. Think it'll fit? If so, I'll send it off for refurbishing and bluetooth upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 104

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Buy a Bluetooth adaptor from ebay. Plugs unto the rear where that hinged cover is. It's either stereo 7-8 pin or mono 6 pin. I run these in my 3.0CSi, 2002Tii & 1600 Cabriolet.

6 Pin Mono: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-...448428?hash=item468d9ae16c:g:G4kAAOSwVNNcNQni

7-8 Pin Stereo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-...199335?hash=item4432cef227:g:bL4AAOSwPmVcNQ70

Danke!
Say, if you're driving the E9 down the Pemaquid peninsula, let me know. My dad is in Chamberlain / Long Cove, just north of New Harbor and Shaw's lobster pound. He'd love to see the E9.
-Andy

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It will work, it’s 68/69 vintage, Enoz will know for sure. It’s a mono radio so six pin DIN plug. Those are early knobs, you should buy the later knobs with the large silver center. If you do I would buy those knobs for a friend’s NK sedan.

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blaupunkt Frankfurt came in parts bin with my car. Think it'll fit? If so, I'll send it off for refurbishing and bluetooth upgrade.
It's a 1967/68 Euro Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio. It will fit perfectly, but it's not a period correct radio for your e9