Carpet Followup

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a very good conversation with H K Mayer this morning. He is very interested,in fact his wife has a coupe he would like to put this carpet in.

He took some time to describe what the process entails and to get a limited carpet run in the matching fibers will take some time and patience. He does have other sources which would be interested in this carpet run, such as BMW Classic, and will appropriately augment our potential order.

He has done custom orders before which have ultimately proved to be quite popular and commercially sucessful. My take away is he believes the two toned carpet for the Navy interior will be popular as a match does not currently exist. As expected, one concern is the shelf life of the run for unsold quantities. Interestingly his time frame is 10 years.

Very positive discussion, he will do further research and get back to me.

John

terrific, john ! well done !

did you tell him that we have reached our peak at 14 cars ?

i agree he can do it, moreover if his returning time frame is so long !

but i think he is also aware of the moment of excitement, we must close the deal now, eight months is a very long time to wait for, and from now on we will only lose addepts (IMHO)

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed. And I think he feels the same. He is very thoughtful in his approach ad needs to do some more investigation to give a clear idea as to how this may go. Ultimately he will run numbers on impact to purchase price at various threshold.

Expect him to come back to us shortly.

John

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Latest from Cabrio

As I touched on in my last post I had a very positive conversation with K H Mayer at Cabrio where he elaborated on the process to get a small quantity special order successfully placed.

First, to get the correct match he will need to specifically match the original fibers and as his email (attached below) identifies we will need to get him the most pristine sample we can find to work from. My carpet has been replaced so I can not be the supplier and I reach out to other potential donors for this portion of the effort.

As to timing... he relayed the manufacturers who deal with the OEM German carpets prioritize their orders based on the quantity of the order. (surprise!) We will fall into the low end of such orders. Timing then becomes important to gain their interest. Klaus said it will happen in the down season which falls just after the holidays (guessing we just missed the timing?). So..again... patience will be required.

If someone has a pristine sample (can be small) please let me know so I can coordinate getting it to them.

Financials to follow based on order quantity. Cabrio have provided price at 30 orders, but will refine if we should we fall short of that amount. We look to have about 15 potential orders. With out reach I am hopeful we can double that order. But if not, at least we will know where we sit on price.

Cabrio email below:

Dear

John,

as already discussed on telephone we are still interested to make this colour. At the moment all carpet and fibre manufacturers are rather busy, so we surely have to wait until the end of the year, until we have samples or maybe material in our hands. If you have a non-faded sample of original material (10x20cm is enough) please let us have this, as I have only a used.

We look forward to your message and remain with

best regards
Klaus

K. H. Mayer KFZ-Technik GmbH
Berkheimer Str. 10-12
73734 Esslingen

Tel. 0049-(0)711/3579000
Fax 0049-(0)711/35790014
www.cabrio.de

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
good news John,

a pity, but not a problem to wait for this

Rob (GERNSTETTER) mentioned he had NOS small pieces, so probably he can assist

yes, it is important to know the price for 15 orders, because even if the price sits at the actual prices of the actually available materials it is a good deal

keep the negotiation alive ! thanks john

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How big a swatch do you need? My carpet is original and I could cut a piece from behind the rear seat or some place depending on size neded.

Latest from Cabrio

As I touched on in my last post I had a very positive conversation with K H Mayer at Cabrio where he elaborated on the process to get a small quantity special order successfully placed.

First, to get the correct match he will need to specifically match the original fibers and as his email (attached below) identifies we will need to get him the most pristine sample we can find to work from. My carpet has been replaced so I can not be the supplier and I reach out to other potential donors for this portion of the effort.

As to timing... he relayed the manufacturers who deal with the OEM German carpets prioritize their orders based on the quantity of the order. (surprise!) We will fall into the low end of such orders. Timing then becomes important to gain their interest. Klaus said it will happen in the down season which falls just after the holidays (guessing we just missed the timing?). So..again... patience will be required.

If someone has a pristine sample (can be small) please let me know so I can coordinate getting it to them.

Financials to follow based on order quantity. Cabrio have provided price at 30 orders, but will refine if we should we fall short of that amount. We look to have about 15 potential orders. With out reach I am hopeful we can double that order. But if not, at least we will know where we sit on price.

Cabrio email below:

Dear

John,

as already discussed on telephone we are still interested to make this colour. At the moment all carpet and fibre manufacturers are rather busy, so we surely have to wait until the end of the year, until we have samples or maybe material in our hands. If you have a non-faded sample of original material (10x20cm is enough) please let us have this, as I have only a used.

We look forward to your message and remain with

best regards
Klaus

K. H. Mayer KFZ-Technik GmbH
Berkheimer Str. 10-12
73734 Esslingen

Tel. 0049-(0)711/3579000
Fax 0049-(0)711/35790014
www.cabrio.de

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
10 x 20 cm sample size per his email.

Put me down for a carpet set (including trunk). 1972 CS.

Thanks for all the effort working this out.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Latest from Cabrio

John,
KHM has 2 separate costs - the procurement of the material, which is the smaller amount of the given set (and an out-sourced item), and the manufacturing of the actual kit (an in-house labor item).

As the labor item is their larger direct cost ... i urge you to discuss with them about filling out the order with additional e9 carpet orders ... which will make a more significant impact on their bottom line, and the ability to own the additional attic stock of material.

i am in for a set at this price of a different color ... and i'm sure that i wouldn't be the additional order. my recommendation is to talk from a total size of orders. it might also be worthwhile to explore combining shipment of the orders to North America in one shipment across the ocean and then distribute internally. might be too much of a PITA ... but ocean freight works better combined.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
How big a swatch do you need? My carpet is original and I could cut a piece from behind the rear seat or some place depending on size neded.

I have a piece of NOS blue and grey carpet here in Germany....get me his address and I can send before I leave for a couple of weeks in California, regards to all, Rob Gernstetter

Gernstetter

Reaction score
I see the address below, will send tomorrow to him

Who exactly is dealing with Mayer? What is your full name for the letter I will send? Will post again after the samples are in the post, I will send him 2 different pieces of carpet...

By the way, the blue velour I got here and the BMW cord center piece turned out perfect.....exact match to the unmolested rear seats.....will post photos once I figure out how....Luddite in Koln.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Who exactly is dealing with Mayer? What is your full name for the letter I will send? Will post again after the samples are in the post, I will send him 2 different pieces of carpet...

By the way, the blue velour I got here and the BMW cord center piece turned out perfect.....exact match to the unmolested rear seats.....will post photos once I figure out how....Luddite in Koln.

Someone just emailed me wondering if I would hand the carpet sample to Mayer???? He is four hours from Koln, so, probably not.

Although I was about 30 minutes from him two days ago.....he will get it early next week.....whoever is dealing with him, please confirm with him later next week....and I need your name please and did you identify yourself or the forum as well???

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone just emailed me wondering if I would hand the carpet sample to Mayer???? He is four hours from Koln, so, probably not.

Although I was about 30 minutes from him two days ago.....he will get it early next week.....whoever is dealing with him, please confirm with him later next week....and I need your name please and did you identify yourself or the forum as well???

Rob we have to thank you very much for your generosity in sending a NOS sample in original condition

John (lotuss7) is dealing with Mayer, he will be able to give you details about his previous contacts with him.

I sent you a PM and suggested the possibility of sending OR handing the sample over to Mayer, i was not aware of where you were in germany, (i know well is not a small country),

it was a suggestion in benefit of the success of the initiative, i was not asking you to travel to meet Mayer

probably the suggestion of a meeting may seem odd, but i think that it is absolutely relevant, if anyone (inlcuding myself) has the chance of discussing face to face all this issue with Mayer, it will be an excellent idea, moreover it would probably be a must as I remember there was a checking process of trials commented by mr. Mayer

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Rob we have to thank you very much for your generosity in sending a NOS sample in original condition

John (lotuss7) is dealing with Mayer, he will be able to give you details about his previous contacts with him.

I sent you a PM and suggested the possibility of sending OR handing the sample over to Mayer, i was not aware of where you were in germany, (i know well is not a small country),

it was a suggestion in benefit of the success of the initiative, i was not asking you to travel to meet Mayer

probably the suggestion of a meeting may seem odd, but i think that it is absolutely relevant, if anyone (inlcuding myself) has the chance of discussing face to face all this issue with Mayer, it will be an excellent idea, moreover it would probably be a must as I remember there was a checking process of trials commented by mr. Mayer

Happy to meet with him at the appropriate time during the process....

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Happy to meet with him at the appropriate time during the process....

As far as payment, Mayer can set up a Paypal account, then everyone can send him the money from whatever currency they use, he can be paid in Euros...

If you send as a 'gift' then there are no additional fees on his end, just a thought, or I can set up a special account at the bank here in Koln, where everyone can wire the money in Euros and transfer to Mayer with email confirms of the transfers, happy to help however, regards, Rob

Managing Director
Chicago Super Dogs GmbH

Send PM if you need my contact information

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
John,
KHM has 2 separate costs - the procurement of the material, which is the smaller amount of the given set (and an out-sourced item), and the manufacturing of the actual kit (an in-house labor item).

As the labor item is their larger direct cost ... i urge you to discuss with them about filling out the order with additional e9 carpet orders ... which will make a more significant impact on their bottom line, and the ability to own the additional attic stock of material.

i am in for a set at this price of a different color ... and i'm sure that i wouldn't be the additional order. my recommendation is to talk from a total size of orders. it might also be worthwhile to explore combining shipment of the orders to North America in one shipment across the ocean and then distribute internally. might be too much of a PITA ... but ocean freight works better combined.

We have had exactly this conversation...investment vs. production. The idea of cost per number or orders hinges on this. He appears to be willing to calculate a 10 year shelf life.

As to changing colors? not sure this is on the same platform. This is focused on a limited run of a very specific color.

Combined shipping? Certainly a discussion for the future.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
As far as payment, Mayer can set up a Paypal account, then everyone can send him the money from whatever currency they use, he can be paid in Euros...

If you send as a 'gift' then there are no additional fees on his end, just a thought, or I can set up a special account at the bank here in Koln, where everyone can wire the money in Euros and transfer to Mayer with email confirms of the transfers, happy to help however, regards, Rob

Managing Director
Chicago Super Dogs GmbH

Send PM if you need my contact information

Gernstetter, Thanks for jumping in. From my view this is a pretty open discussion and your help is greatly appreciated.

Klaus will need to identify specific fibers and blend...hence the importance of a pristine sample. At a 10mm X 20mm sample gonna think this ends up under the microscope. Probably the larger the better, but he is certainly seems on with getting it right.

This discussion has progressed to the point that your thoughts on Paypal etc. look like a good way to go.

I a have contemplated setting up a specific Gmail account for any and all to engage in the discussion from various forums / clubs etc. ...certainly it will take many beyond this forum to make the 30 carpet target...but I gotta say my business life is consuming and combined with travel my time is limited. Don't mind pushing the agenda, but significantly concerned about singularly managing this effort. Really want to put Cabrio in the drivers seat, and though whatever outreach, the interested individuals would contact them directly.

That said, Cabrio really seems interested in getting this right and making this happen. Pretty cool. And I believe face time will be important...so when you are in the neighborhood again it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop by.

John

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Gernstetter, Thanks for jumping in. From my view this is a pretty open discussion and your help is greatly appreciated.

Klaus will need to identify specific fibers and blend...hence the importance of a pristine sample. At a 10mm X 20mm sample gonna think this ends up under the microscope. Probably the larger the better, but he is certainly seems on with getting it right.

This discussion has progressed to the point that your thoughts on Paypal etc. look like a good way to go.

I a have contemplated setting up a specific Gmail account for any and all to engage in the discussion from various forums / clubs etc. ...certainly it will take many beyond this forum to make the 30 carpet target...but I gotta say my business life is consuming and combined with travel my time is limited. Don't mind pushing the agenda, but significantly concerned about singularly managing this effort. Really want to put Cabrio in the drivers seat, and though whatever outreach, the interested individuals would contact them directly.

That said, Cabrio really seems interested in getting this right and making this happen. Pretty cool. And I believe face time will be important...so when you are in the neighborhood again it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop by.

John

two NOS carpet samples were mailed to Mayer this morning, he should have them early next week, whoever is dealing with them, please follow up as I will be in CA on holiday for a couple of weeks, regards, Rob

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We have had exactly this conversation...investment vs. production. The idea of cost per number or orders hinges on this. He appears to be willing to calculate a 10 year shelf life.

As to changing colors? not sure this is on the same platform. This is focused on a limited run of a very specific color.

Combined shipping? Certainly a discussion for the future.

John,

not talking about another color run, but fabrication from one of their standard colors

scott