coffee machine 1970,

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i like coffee, not an expert, not a conoisseur, but i like certain coffee and i like it at home too,...

i have had machines at home, but nothing was very good until i got this...

i bought a lapavoni professional in 1999, influenced by a film, i am still using it every morning, i have overhauled three times in 23 years

47254006-ACF6-4246-A072-438F4BF29BB5.jpeg
F2A583A3-C724-4F20-B5EF-37C9519F3824.jpeg

coffee machines need time and dedication, and i am happy to do that as the reward is good enough
it is sort of a ritual, needs time to fill in the water, warm up, release steam to avoid false pressure, charge the coffee , and apply the required pressure and speed to the lever, and obvoiusly, there they came the flavours, smellss,...

not a fan of other systems, nice, good, but not for me

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
for a new location i needed a second machine, but i was reluctant to buy a new one,...

...so , preowned and from the seventies, isnt that good enough ?

oh yes, it was not working,...so the usual enjoyement,...until done...
EB83C529-397E-46EF-A42A-282D9EEA8CB8.jpeg
E66959EC-54B0-447E-8750-75C608D92D7E.jpeg
DF26CCE8-07B7-450F-A9E7-B54A2DD3F2BC.jpeg
4A18CADF-5606-4972-923A-AB6B053D01F8.jpeg
478F35B7-839F-40F5-B316-DE6C6BBDAFB8.jpeg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
de'Q, as with your coupe you are the perfect owner of a machine like this. You have the skills, the patience(which I completely lack) and the love(coffee and cars) to do it justice.
Like the coupe, it is a marvel.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's the great thing about 20th century appliances...they can usually be fixed if you are so inclined, and if you can find parts. Unlike a 2015 Mr. Coffee maker I have which needs a special screwdriver (a three-slot "philips" not the usual four-slot philips) which I don't have. Why would they go to such pain to make things so user unfriendly? (I know the answer...)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am glad DQ you started this thread. This year I explored espresso machines for a new home and for our startup, where espresso is as important as computers...
The best machine I tasted was a Jura (Swiss I believe), but we ended up with a different brand for the company, one that requires lots of app based configuration and tuning, plus it does not accept just any beans you might select... For the home I am still using the Bialetti Moka Express shortcut.

Say some more about the Pavoni. Is the pressure created by the lever instead of a pressure pump? Or the lever just controls the pressure time profile?
What is the optimal year (70s? late 90s?). Do you want to refurbish a third one for me (with 110V electricals)?

At serving time we are experimenting with combinations of the following ingredients (at most two!): Rum, Cointreau, whipped cream, Cardamom, Vietnamese Cinnamon.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
de'Q, as with your coupe you are the perfect owner of a machine like this. You have the skills, the patience(which I completely lack) and the love(coffee and cars) to do it justice.
Like the coupe, it is a marvel.

thank you so much for your kind words,
i have to say i enjoy this a lot, and i do prefer a preowned than a brand new one...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's the great thing about 20th century appliances...they can usually be fixed if you are so inclined, and if you can find parts. Unlike a 2015 Mr. Coffee maker I have which needs a special screwdriver (a three-slot "philips" not the usual four-slot philips) which I don't have. Why would they go to such pain to make things so user unfriendly? (I know the answer...)

that is the point, Bill
all new stuff tries you not to touch the internals, by using odd tools, like the apple pentalobe screwdriver
moreover all new devices have this IoT burden, you need the appliance and an app

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Arde

I am glad DQ you started this thread. This year I explored espresso machines for a new home and for our startup, where espresso is as important as computers...
The best machine I tasted was a Jura (Swiss I believe), but we ended up with a different brand for the company, one that requires lots of app based configuration and tuning, plus it does not accept just any beans you might select... For the home I am still using the Bialetti Moka Express shortcut.

Say some more about the Pavoni. Is the pressure created by the lever instead of a pressure pump? Or the lever just controls the pressure time profile?
**LA PAVONI IS MAKING MANY MACHINES, PROFI, SEMIPROFI, AND HOME MACHINES, THEY ARE MOST KNOWN FOR THESE SMALL HOME ONES, EUROPICCOLA, AND PROFESSIONALE, europiccola will be able to make 2,3 expresso, and professionale up to 6,8
there are many variants, i would recommend those ones from the 90s as they have cured all the youth defects from predecessors, and still made in a robust way
these ones have thermostat and presostat, so provided the machine has water you can switch it on and leave warming

the machine essentially gets the water boiling, but that pressure is only for steaming milk, and having very hot water for the coffee, then you pull up the lever and water passes to the cylinder, now lever down, your arm will give the required pressure and you will pour the coffee, so it is your skills and experience what makes the coffee

in my opinion not a machine to be shared with others

it is robust, but as the e9, you know what is better for her, let engine warm up progressively, ....

you will need to be able to get spares as gaskets, and rubbers, or have a service shop, and descaling once a year is recommended

you can make steam milk to make a cortado (machiatto), or even a cappuccino **

What is the optimal year (70s? late 90s?). Do you want to refurbish a third one for me (with 110V electricals)?

At serving time we are experimenting with combinations of the following ingredients (at most two!): Rum, Cointreau, whipped cream, Cardamom, Vietnamese Cinnamon.
[/QUOTE]

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score

Jesus,

Vietnamese cinnamon is cassia. It has a much higher level of coumarin which can be toxic and in some people cause slight stomach issues. You might try Ceylon which has all the health benefits but non of the toxicity issues. I take cinnamon in my coffee every day so, that's what got me geeking out on the toxicity thing..

Great job on the espresso machine. I need to find one here. I love lever machines.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have never had a Cup of Coffee in my life, but if ever I was to try one, I bet yours would be special. Impressed how you make those rubber parts. Think I'll have a RedBull now.

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
i like coffee, not an expert, not a conoisseur, but i like certain coffee and i like it at home too,...

i have had machines at home, but nothing was very good until i got this...

i bought a lapavoni professional in 1999, influenced by a film, i am still using it every morning, i have overhauled three times in 23 years

coffee machines need time and dedication, and i am happy to do that as the reward is good enough
it is sort of a ritual, needs time to fill in the water, warm up, release steam to avoid false pressure, charge the coffee , and apply the required pressure and speed to the lever, and obvoiusly, there they came the flavours, smellss,...

not a fan of other systems, nice, good, but not for me

Had my 1978 La Pavoni Professional since, well, 1978. Bought it with my-then fiancée (and now and still wife) as an engagement present. Still use it regularly.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another outstanding renovation DeQ. As usual you have taken a service to another level. I cannot wait until you develop a fascination with, say, 1950s or 1960s Fire Trucks! ;)

you named it, i am fascinated with fire trucks, the small and compact unimog ones for forestal service,...but it is that or a family life...;-)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus,

Vietnamese cinnamon is cassia. It has a much higher level of coumarin which can be toxic and in some people cause slight stomach issues. You might try Ceylon which has all the health benefits but non of the toxicity issues. I take cinnamon in my coffee every day so, that's what got me geeking out on the toxicity thing..

Great job on the espresso machine. I need to find one here. I love lever machines.

thank you, for the kind advices

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seeing your machine brings back a memory. About 15 years ago, I sold some Electrohome projector parts (a hobby of mine years ago) to a guy who lived about three miles from me. I delivered the parts to his home early one Saturday morning, and in exchange for delivery of a delicate part, he used one of these machinse to make me one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had.