Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As of late I have been attempting to better understand how the E3/E9 headlight wiper system works. I need to put together the plumbing and electrical for my wipers. I’ve talked to several folks including a sales contact in Germany, Nicad, Luis A., Carl at La Jolla, and Brucey over on BigCoupe.com. I hope that anyone familiar with this system can chime in to help.

Nicad used my initial inquiry as a chance to overhaul his system and snap loads of pics (see a few below). Luis sparked the idea to create a thread via a response to my recent PM:

Markos said:
Hi Luis,

I think it was Nicad that mentioned that you have a functioning headlight wiper system. I was wondering if you could outline the functionality and perhaps even take some pics. I recently purchased everything except the wiring and the 2 bung tank (which is still available new). Do you have the auxiliary tank that sits in the cowl? My biggest question is around how it's activated and wired. I have someone that can help me wire it up, but I need to understand what parts are in play. I have access to realoem and the factory installation article, but it doesn't really outline the activation process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luis A. said:
This would benefit the whole E9 community. Why don't you post this as a question in the forum and I'll respond. No reason to keep it private.

So here we are, a thread devoted to an obscure BMW accessory that no modern day coupe owner needs, but a select few (myself included) lust after. :D

Before Luis chimes in, I’ll throw down what I have learned.

System:

BMW Accessory found on a limited number of coupes. They seem to be much more common in Europe, and I were required in certain parts of the EU including Scandinavian countries. They also seemed to be more common on the E3, especially the 3.3’s.

Factory Installation:

http://www.e9-driven.com/public/library/bmw-e9-manual/pages/en/61630050.html

Washer Tank(s):

The dual-bung tank is still available at a fair price:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/tank-euro/61671356191/

37613547456_9bce6deefd_b.jpg

The original kit included an auxiliary tank that sat in the cowl, much like the intensive tanks found on later model vehicles. From what I gather however this was just a gravity fed extra tank. The installation manual shows this, but here is a pic. This tank is NLA as of January 1992 and they are very difficult to source. Realoem.com doesn't show the part number for the associated picture #18, but it can be found in the white parts binder. The number is 61671357833:

31875840153_c786894225_o.jpg

E587912A-11E5-4805-84A6-D2ABA4D6F4EE.jpeg

25575867547_9679a3f3aa_b.jpg

38636525350_d8cf672ecf_b.jpg

Washer Pump:

The dual-motor is NLA. If you can find the bracket, you can most likely fit a used pump to it, or rebuild your existing pumps.

BenzWorld is a great resource for shared platform parts. Below is a write-up that outlines how to rebuild a VDO washer pump.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...-repair-windscreen-headlight-washer-pump.html
348780d1293324612-repair-windscreen-headlight-washer-pump-vdo-wipore-washer-motor-015.jpg

Pics of the dual pump courtesy of Luis A.

32687928495_83db809f2b_b.jpg

Replacement of the NLA dual pump courtesy of Nicad:

31875820023_d52aecd14f_b.jpg

Early e24 dual pump courtesy of QtheGenius (Jonathan @LaJolla):

32535312502_9f3df552f3_b.jpg

Headlight Buckets – Subject to input from forum:

Something I noticed with my cars is that there were two different versions of the headlight buckets. One version has provisions for the wiper motors, one version does not. I’m not sure if/when the change happened. What I know is that e3/e9 used the same buckets. Assuming that the buckets haven’t been replaced on my personal cars, this doesn’t seem to be a euro vs us, or year over year thing. My late model car is missing the provisions and both are euro.

No motor provision:

32564293861_8bb5c81c96_b.jpg

Motor provision:

32646979736_b784206749_b.jpg

Also, interestingly enough e24’s have the provisions for the center mounted wiper motor, even though the motor mounts on the inside edge of the bucket, Courtesy of QtheGenius (Jonathan @LaJolla). His other side didn’t have the provisions - strange:

32565742321_0902c3264e_b.jpg

Headlight Rings:

When I first saw Nicad’s headlight rings I thought that perhaps someone fabricated the wipers stops. I later learned that two types were offered. There are the early style rings with black pins used as wiper stops. BMW later switched to the more familiar L-shaped tabs that persisted through the 80’s. Given that my car is a ’71, I probably should have gone with the earlier rings. I opted to go with the later models units as I preferred the look. I also intend to publish a surface file to 3D print the wiper stops, which should serve the community at large. More on that in a different thread.

Looking at my rings, I think one could simply drill holes at the correct spot on a standard headlight ring and add the stops. A good way to save $100+

Both ring styles side by side:

31845005014_45b849f0f2_o.jpg

Early Rings:

1571608168_a4508f8f99_b.jpg

Late Rings: Photo courtesy of Luis A.

P1040257.JPG

Wiper Motors:

Bosch made these 12v motors for various euro cars. They all look essentially the same, but they vary somewhat. The motor shaft length and spline count is different. Also the mounting bracket for the motor is different. I haven’t tested this, but based on my research the degree of sweep should be different across the motors. I presume that this may be adjustable if you take the motor apart. That would be good engineering anyway.

My old BMW motor and some Mercedes motors I bought. Notice how close the BMW part number is to the Mercedes:

32411072475_1c442ed0bf_b.jpg

My NOS motors, compare mounting point and shaft differences to the e24 motors below

32564293751_aec0bd20e0_b.jpg

The motors can be rebuilt if you remove the epoxy. This is good news for BMW owners as the motors are NLA. As long as you have the motor housing, shaft, and mounting points I suspect that one could dissect a Mercedes motor for parts or rebuild their existing motor.

Excellent write-up from Brucey on BigCoupe.com. I confirmed that the e3/e9 unitls have the same right-side master, left-side slave setup as the e24.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2107

file.php

The harness connectors for the wiper motors were used throughout the BMW range (per HB Chris - who donated Luis one from a 2002).

This is the connector for the left side (slave), as noted by the threa wires instead of four. Photo courtesy of Luis A.
IMG_1126.JPG

Grille Cutout for Wiper Shafts:

Nicad covered much of this here, but I will repost below for consolidation purposes:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/headlamp-wiper-retrofit-grill-modification.11031/

Photo courtesy of Stefan:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/attachments/img_0332a-jpg.4753

"As best as I could measure, my slot is the following:"

Front : 1 12/32"
Bottom: 1 7/32"
Top: 1 12/32"
Back: 2 4/32"

Distance from the top horizontal slat:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/salty_1977/P1060832.jpg

Plumbing / Wiring:

This is uncharted territory for me. Paging Luis A.!!!

Circling back to Brucey’s diagram for the e24. Although there is no intensive system on the e9, I presume the check valve and splitter plumbing from the main tank is essentially the same:

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

A picture of the sprayer nozzle location courtesy of Nicad:

32535440762_b67707692d_b.jpg

32647382466_64d08a8440_b.jpg

A picture of the check-valve functionality courtesy of Brucey on Bigcoupe.com
file.php

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great compilation of information Mark. I can post detail and measurement shots of the cutouts around next Thursday.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great compilation of information Mark. I can post detail and measurement shots of the cutouts around next Thursday.

Thank you sir! You have posted them before I just couldn't find the thread. I was pretty disappointed with myself. :D

Edit: Found it, but my first post is at capacity for images:

As best as I could measure, my slot is the following:

Front : 1 12/32"
Bottom: 1 7/32"
Top: 1 12/32"
Back: 2 4/32"

Distance from the top horizontal slat:
6adaf538422c7e9c6f8bfd3428110ec0._.jpg

Also a photo courtesy of Stefan:
2885107E-0BFE-46E2-A337-614CC8A9640B.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I probably can't find them either. I have a new phone and it blows away my old digicam.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic job documenting the system all in one place. A few comments. Additional 2.5 l tank: In the years of looking for these components I have never seen one for sale. E3 and E9 are different and the former seems more prevalent than the latter, maybe due to the E3 Li series of cars that came equipped with it. I don't recall ever seeing one on an E9, even if it had the rest of the system installed. The photo posted above looks like an E3 to me. Does anyone have a photo of it on an E9? Buckets: All good observations above, I also couldn't detect when and where the provision for the motor was included. Headlamp rings: Spot with the early vs late blade supports/limiters. Reproducing the little buggers would solve that unobtanium and I'm sure you could sell a few to Europe. The rings then need drilling of tiny holes and flattening of the metal where they are to be mounted. The motors were available from BMW and Walloth up to maybe a year or two ago, at a price, but they were still out there. Apparently all gone now. This will be tough to adapt from another car, I think. The shaft differences plus the sweep angle might be a problem, but I don't know for a fact. I think adapting the later "P" shaped motors as used on E21/30/23/MB/Volvo/Saab might be the way to go. Although they all may look the same the sweep angle and shafts may be different. Those can be opened up non-destructively and potentially adapted. Note that the Bosch OEM motors are different in that the RHS one has the contact to power the headlamp washer 3 or 4 times through its cycle, otherwise it's the same. Wipers arms: Have been NLA for decades and historically the toughest element to source. Impossible (not cost efficient) or very difficult to kluge or reproduce.

Regarding the plumbing, it's simple and it's outlined in the factory manual instructions. Which, BTW, is not online anymore. What happenned to E9-driven.com? The "Headlight cleaning system contact unit" is what the manual calls the plastic box that has the rectangular 6-contact connector on its bottom. All that unit does is allow the system to run once it detects that a)the windshield washer has been activated (ground signal) while b) the headlights (or city lights) are on. It continues to supply power to the motors for about 3 or 4 cycles and then it locks out for about 30 seconds so further immediate windshield washer application doesn't trigger it. This appears to be available from BMW or Walloth. If someone is sufficiently motivated it could be recreated with modern logic and a relay. This is all very clear from examining the wiring diagram found in the factory blue binder. The harness is then just a matter of laying things out, scoping out the correct connectors and making it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Additional 2.5 l tank: In the years of looking for these components I have never seen one for sale. E3 and E9 are different and the former seems more prevalent than the latter, maybe due to the E3 Li series of cars that came equipped with it. I don't recall ever seeing one on an E9, even if it had the rest of the system installed. The photo posted above looks like an E3 to me. Does anyone have a photo of it on an E9?

The pic above is in fact from an e9. Both the hinges and the VIN are on the inside of the cowl. The photo came from a parts guy in germany that has everything but this tank. :)

Headlamp rings: Spot with the early vs late blade supports/limiters. Reproducing the little buggers would solve that unobtanium and I'm sure you could sell a few to Europe. The rings then need drilling of tiny holes and flattening of the metal where they are to be mounted.

Yes I'll post some pics of the tab since my rings are off. This is about the easiest possible part to model. The underside has a peg and a screw hole. I don't plan on selling them. We will publish the model! I will load it to shapeways so people can just print it but I won't tack on any profit.

The motors were available from BMW and Walloth up to maybe a year or two ago, at a price, but they were still out there. Apparently all gone now. This will be tough to adapt from another car, I think. The shaft differences plus the sweep angle might be a problem, but I don't know for a fact. I think adapting the later "P" shaped motors as used on E21/30/23/MB/Volvo/Saab might be the way to go. Although they all may look the same the sweep angle and shafts may be different. Those can be opened up non-destructively and potentially adapted.

There was one Left side motor left in the country when I called BMW in early November 2016. The guy that I bought my NOS motors from in facebook had two sets.

Wipers arms: Have been NLA for decades and historically the toughest element to source. Impossible (not cost efficient) or very difficult to kluge or reproduce.

I think that I could accurately reproduce them but they would be expensive to make and few people actually want them. Do you have specifics on the plastic clip that you referenced in your very fairly priced FS listing last year?

Regarding the plumbing, it's simple and it's outlined in the factory manual instructions. Which, BTW, is not online anymore. What happenned to E9-driven.com? The "Headlight cleaning system contact unit" is what the manual calls the plastic box that has the rectangular 6-contact connector on its bottom. All that unit does is allow the system to run once it detects that a)the windshield washer has been activated (ground signal) while b) the headlights (or city lights) are on. It continues to supply power to the motors for about 3 or 4 cycles and then it locks out for about 30 seconds so further immediate windshield washer application doesn't trigger it. This appears to be available from BMW or Walloth. If someone is sufficiently motivated it could be recreated with modern logic and a relay. This is all very clear from examining the wiring diagram found in the factory blue binder. The harness is then just a matter of laying things out, scoping out the correct connectors and making it.

Thank you for clrifying! E9-Driven was down when I posted this. I'm sure it will be up again soon.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A '74 brochure picture of the headlamp wipers from Restart's post here:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-great-blue-cloth-debate.24042/

Interesting that they show the pin-style wiper stops. I'm wondering if they didn't update the photo for the brochure, or if the rings changed in '75/'76. Also note that they are listed as standard equipment on the 3.3L. I'm pretty sure that there are some 3.3L's running around sans wipers. Maybe they were removed at some point.

IMG_5392.JPG

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
want to ask - maybe someone will have headlight cleaning system diagram as below in better quality?
Mine is very poor quality & it is almost impossible to see anything.
Diagram is in Blue Book - Electrical system - General - Headlight Cleaning System
Thank you, will appreciate it.
Headlight Cleaning System Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Thank you Markos for 5er diagram, it might be similar, but i think that particular one is from e28.
If it's not a problem - please upload scan from Blue Book & it will be like "Amen" to BB headlights cleaning system installation manual that i uploaded below:
321-page-001.jpg
321-page-002.jpg
321-page-003.jpg
321-page-004.jpg
321-page-005.jpg
321-page-006.jpg
321-page-007.jpg
321-page-008.jpg
321-page-009.jpg
321-page-010.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some pics of the dual wiper pump setup. Basically it's just two pumps on a special bracket. The pumps are held to the bracket by some fine threaded screws.

36714061633_7fcb6797c3_b.jpg

37127321660_e8f32aec6b_b.jpg

36714061243_5866263385_b.jpg

The euro tank has tabs that catch the washer pump. I noticed that the tabs aren’t molded very well. It will take some persuasion to snap the washer pump into place.

Staged:
36992090563_5a475af06a_b.jpg

Tab issue:
36952161094_21a7526223_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Headlight Choice & Profile

Headlight selection is important for proper wiper operation. In general, you will want to use H1 lenses which are relatively flat. Vendors such as Marchal, and Cibie have concave lens options which may not work well with the wipers. US DOT Spec sealed beams are almost always concave and you will run into the same issue. Lastly, E-Code H4's have a deeper lens to accommodate the dual filament H4 bulb. As a result the lens protrudes from the base enough to limit the effectiveness of the wiper stops (which are connected to the trim rings).

Sealed Beam - Concave Lens:

s-l1600.jpg

Hella H4 - Lens protrudes from base:

002850811-dia_2.jpg

Proper H1 "Flat" lense - still slightly concave:
002425811-dia_1.jpg

The wiper blades are curved to match the profile of an H1 lense. Photos courtesy of @Wladek
20180322_184254.jpg
20180322_184400.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic job documenting the system all in one place. A few comments. Additional 2.5 l tank: In the years of looking for these components I have never seen one for sale. E3 and E9 are different and the former seems more prevalent than the latter, maybe due to the E3 Li series of cars that came equipped with it. I don't recall ever seeing one on an E9, even if it had the rest of the system installed. The photo posted above looks like an E3 to me. Does anyone have a photo of it on an E9?

Hi Luis,

Funny timing as I happened to be referring to this thread and I reread your post. Here is a picture
of the supplemental tank installed in a CSL for sale. I’m going to text the co-signer to see if I can get a better closeup. As you can see, some small plastic straps hold it in place. I see the markings from those straps on my tank, but the straps are long gone. Also, e3’s have hood latches on the other side of the cowl, so I do believe that the pic above is from a coupe.

FF7BCBA9-D867-4BEC-8EFF-518427641347.jpeg

Edit: Thanks to Sam for sending pics.
Obviously they no longer have the plastic strap either. They likely snap over time. I’ll see if there are some other factory tank straps that look similar.
47E1C6D3-B20F-4DD5-8358-8CBC6EEF1AD8.jpeg

047D2B17-BE3A-4119-9E83-E05F03F2B44C.jpeg

1E1EFFE8-1959-4EFC-A886-880EB17CA844.jpeg

08B17138-04D8-4625-BD8C-7AEA1CC61C76.jpeg

15498126-9C8B-4B50-8B5B-83E0D211FA34.jpeg

A3901362-6813-4B8E-8492-D1583E74A3B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cowl tank on lightweight 221. Discussed on BaT with a reference to e9coupe. This car
was striped of the tank and wipers, and I purchased the tank.
A13EB856-8AAD-4C48-A5E1-5ED26AB94A8B.jpeg
97D50A25-EED3-4AE8-9C00-8B1A409136E2.jpeg

BaT:

E9Coupe:

Also, adding period photo of batmobile with HL wipers. Given the period of the photo (skis, brief case, pepsi can, clothes), it is my opinion that this is a genuine BaT with visible scheel seats.
A7B6717D-08AE-4F32-A262-E3DD4E526518.jpeg

Those skis are Olin Mark IV and the coolest freestyle ski made from about 1977-79 I think. So. I agree. Coolest skis and coolest car and the ski rack on top makes the owner the coolest too. But in hindsight I guess the snow and salt was a big mistake. Great pic. Thx

Supplemental tank in 1975 CSI - Hamburg
DB5B89F5-620B-4EAA-BFEB-D073C44AA2A2.jpeg

0E474D08-99A8-436F-925F-20C1F7FBBF23.jpeg

8415634B-E7F9-4849-AC92-D956D5799D1F.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
Do you have key for this diagram?

1 Junction box, fuses
2 Plug connection to ignition / starter switch
3 Ignition / starter switch
4 Battery
5 Wipewash