Copart BMW finds...

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No one wants a 78 with thermal reactors though, 79 has lambda with a cat.
It's amazing that car lasted 40 years with the EGR thermal system. They caused the heads to overhead and crack. Also amazing that car still appears to have the EGR plumbing in place. Lots up people updated the systems by removing; I did this on a 1975 530 (great car), and it ran fine. In some states the car had to have the system intact to pass visual smog inspection though.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And IAA... 1988 M5 in Austin TX
I have ripped the thermals and everything associated with them off any number of 70s BMWs. But I live in PA with no mechanical or emissions inspections for anthing over 25? years young. And my 74 Bavaria passed emissions in the early 80s wilth everything stripped. And we have no front license plate. And PA does not tax pensions, important for someone in my age bracket. And PA has...oh I could on and on about living in the Commonwealth, one of only two in the nation.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting Alfa. https://www.copart.com/lot/37710920

I liked my old Graduate and the shifter position. But I don't think I could get used to this one.

d47586c9-e607-4af5-90c6-93e682841fd0.JPG

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actual cash value $500 for a 535 with manual tranny? Damn. I really wish I needed another car. Swap these bumpers out and for $2500 you could (maybe) have a pretty sweet daily.

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm always wondering how to tell if the body shell hasn't lost it's strength.
It is also interesting if the specific smell which came into interior can be removed without complete interior replacement.

Interesting if someone from the forum was bringing such a car back to life in the past?

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm always wondering how to tell if the body shell hasn't lost it's strength.

The reading I’ve done makes me think that the heat won’t ruin the strength of the steel itself (in the case of low-carbon steel sheet metal used on a car) but that it might warp it and require some reshaping. I see bending in the nose section but I suspect it’s from the fire department trying to open the hood from the wrong end.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn. I guess once it goes out of the country it doesn’t matter that it is a salvaged title.
What do you make of this “10,000 miles ACTUAL” statement? Can’t remember if the ‘02 odometer shows the hundred thousands digit or not.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn. I guess once it goes out of the country it doesn’t matter that it is a salvaged title.
What do you make of this “10,000 miles ACTUAL” statement? Can’t remember if the ‘02 odometer shows the hundred thousands digit or not.
No I don't believe it does, same as e9 and e3.