Copart BMW finds...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the 5.0L Porsche motors were pretty good. Too expensive to "go fast"?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Dick Steinkamp -sold for 3k.. Are you the new owner?
I chickened out. I'm not sure I want to take on another major project at this time. My modus operandi is to build a car, play with it a while, and then sell it to finance the next project (the project has been the hobby for me). I seem to be too happy with my current 2...the Bavaria, and a V8 MGB. My last car built and sold was a V8/Porsche (and they are all the same, aren't they? ;) )

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I chickened out. I'm not sure I want to take on another major project at this time. My modus operandi is to build a car, play with it a while, and then sell it to finance the next project (the project has been the hobby for me). I seem to be too happy with my current 2...the Bavaria, and a V8 MGB. My last car built and sold was a V8/Porsche (and they are all the same, aren't they? ;) )
I've lined up enough projects for the rest of my useful life so I'm no longer looking. The G-wagon doesn't count since that's my wife's, but it has put a stop to my other projects for the moment.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Early car with a close ratio 5spd-could have a limited slip. Would make for a fun track car. It’s really too far out to be nice again without spending too much $.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, Dan, when Copart listings say "No" in the engine field, what does that mean exactly? Most of these obviously have engines...the 928 in particular...

Just curious.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, Dan, when Copart listings say "No" in the engine field, what does that mean exactly? Most of these obviously have engines...the 928 in particular...

Just curious.
It usually means they don't now what they're doing. Some fields default to a certain term and sometimes they don't change it. I've been told by more than one manager that the "Key" field defaults to Yes. Sometimes they "forget" to change it when there's no key. And of course, Copart doesn't guarantee anything so you're SOL when that happens. Keys get stolen at the yards also, and again, SOL.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
So there are about a dozen things on that car that a 540 owner could use as upgrades. Brake calipers and rotors front and rear, rear subframe braces, steering box, dif and rear half shafts, shift knob, wheels (maybe), springs, front and rear sway bars (maybe)...
Around here that M5 would get repaired.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
It usually means they don't now what they're doing. Some fields default to a certain term and sometimes they don't change it. I've been told by more than one manager that the "Key" field defaults to Yes. Sometimes they "forget" to change it when there's no key. And of course, Copart doesn't guarantee anything so you're SOL when that happens. Keys get stolen at the yards also, and again, SOL.
Thanks. I'm having impure thoughts about something that may or may not have an engine:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm having impure thoughts about something that may or may not have an engine:

It sits like it has a drive train in it. You can call the location and ask to verify the engine is in it and also ask if they could take any photos of it. They're suppose to show the engine and the hood is open so they should help you out. That car doesn't look too bad as far as water damage goes. Remember, the term WATER/FLOOD is used even when a sunroof leaks and causes some damage or someone is in a convertible and gets caught in a down pour. Ya never know for sure unless you check it out in person.