CSL Barn Find 2285251

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another milestone today.
Have finished all of the major mechanical work and re-installed the dash and heater components.

image1 (6).JPG

Car starts and runs well but still need to diagnose the occasional lazy miss we can still hear.
All it can be is either an issue with the spark leads or a sticking injector as we have been through everything else.
Will re-visit that one when we do final tuning as will need to pull out the throttle valve to get get back in to adjust the tappets. Plan to replace all the terminals and potentially send the injectors off for testing.
The car will now sit for a week or so before back to the body shop for its final paint. Fast running out of time this year but all going well the aim is to have paint complete by the end of the year.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lazy miss or a lean misfire?
I have all the important bits in the loaning library.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lazy miss or a lean misfire?
I have all the important bits in the loaning library.

Good question. You've got me thinking now.
I think it's a miss as does my BMW master mechanic.
I'm assuming a 'lean misfire' is on account of lack of fuel?
Doesn't happen all the time and flattens out under load. We are going to swap out the spark leads next. The other potential is that the adjustment on a tappet is out. Will Just keep going through the diagnostic hoops until I find the answer.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always start the hunt for a rough idle with a “Tappet” !?!? Adjustment.
Lean misfire Or miss - the go to on the Csl is adjusting the fuel pressure regulator up 2 psi or so. Can’t hurt and super easy AND no cost.
Right there on the fuel rail.
It has a new set of points and condenser? New rotor? New wires?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are back into it and hopefully on the final push.
Car is back at the shop for final body work and paint.
As you can see we have test fitted the boot, roof hoop rear spoiler and all of the other hanging panels.

image1 (6).JPG

It's really coming together well but to my thinking there seems to be a little too much overhang for the duck tail spoiler. It's from Zaprace and the fitment is excellent but it seems to overhang the boot lid a little more than it should. The overhang isn't uniform either with the maximum overhang at the centre line of the car. I know there are threads on here that I haven't run down yet. Any ideas guys?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

My duck tail which I just put on recently is an original CSL one. It also has a bit of an overhang and slightly more-so in the centre area @ about 5mm. That's the way many are, as far as I can ascertain. I think they were designed with slight overhang otherwise if they were flush when you slam the boot the fiber-glass could shatter (or I could be giving the designers too much credit and it could just be typical near enough, is good enough, 1970's hand made body panel manufacturing)

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

My duck tail which I just put on recently is an original CSL one. It also has a bit of an overhang and slightly more-so in the centre area @ about 5mm. That's the way many are, as far as I can ascertain. I think they were designed with slight overhang otherwise if they were flush when you slam the boot the fiber-glass could shatter (or I could be giving the designers too much credit and it could just be typical near enough, is good enough, 1970's hand made body panel manufacturing)

That's the thread I was thinking of mate. Mine actually seems to also come down too low. As in when the boot is shut the leading edge of the spoiler comes down to a point where it sits over the rear of the car - meaning its come past the edge of the boot lid and the rubber seal. I may not be making sense so will get some pics next time.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's the thread I was thinking of mate. Mine actually seems to also come down too low. As in when the boot is shut the leading edge of the spoiler comes down to a point where it sits over the rear of the car - meaning its come past the edge of the boot lid and the rubber seal. I may not be making sense so will get some pics next time.

I will get you pics but not to share on inter web

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score

It shouldn’t hang down lower than the bottom edge of the boot lit. Mine sits level, but just sits about 5mm proud due to the thickness of the fibreglass and brackets.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got mine from Zaprace also and had to scribe the ends to fit over the rear wing panel so that it eliminated the overhang at the rear. Then I had to fill the bottom of the ends of the spoiler as you could see a hole when the boot lid was up, looks OK now but if I was doing it again I would try to find the spoiler that stops at the uprights for the bat spoiler like in the attached photographs and does not go over the rear wing panel.

DSCN0322.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0167.JPG
    DSCN0167.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 147

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bit of an update.
Car is on the home straight for final paint with only a couple of panels left to be blocked out. All of the panel gaps are spot on and everything has been trial fitted multiple times. I'm still on the hunt for a few pieces, please see my WTB post, and we should be good to go. I haven't run down the gremlin in the ignition circuit as I've a sparky coming to tidy up a few things and will get to it then.

A couple of mysteries have been solved though. The alloy boot lid isn't the original one as it has a different number pencilled in under the hinge mount to the other panels. The other give away is there are no holes to mount a boot lip spoiler. I know the car had one in the early 1980s as a forum member has a record of the car at a CSL meet up from the time with the car running a spoiler. I'm guessing the original one and spoiler were damaged when the car was rear ended some time prior to May 1985 as the damage is noted in a for sale ad in 'CSL News' from that month. On account of the car being laid up since at least 1984 the damage was still un-repaired when I bought the car.

image1 (7).JPG

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More progress. All of the lower car is now in final paint along with the A & B Pillars. The doors are also finished out.
Have to say I really like the colour.

image1 (7).JPG

The underside of all the hanging panels are also done.

image2 (2).JPG

You can see where we haven't applied new paint to where the hinges seat. The reason for this is the panels still carry the original factory numbers presumably from the production line and I didn't want to lose them. The rest of the car should be in final paint this week. Then we need to do all the detailing and start putting it all back together.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Big milestone this week. The car is painted!

image1 (7).JPG

Four coats of factory colour right there.

image2 (2).JPG

Hanging panels also done.

image3.JPG

The next job is to cut and polish the finish to remove dust/dirt that always settles on it after you spray. This should happen in the next few days, we just want to make sure the paint has cured. After that the re-assembly really starts. This should come together fairly quickly as most of the trim has already been restored. There are still a load of small pieces to clean and lots of tricky jobs such as stretching out the headliner again without ripping it.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks spectacular Wes.

Are you planning on the black CSL side stripes or how about the tri-colour BMW motor sport stripes? Technically the tri colour stripes were only on LH Bats as I know, but for me the blue, purple, red looks great on a Chamonix.

Cheers,

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks spectacular Wes.

Are you planning on the black CSL side stripes or how about the tri-colour BMW motor sport stripes? Technically the tri colour stripes were only on LH Bats as I know, but for me the blue, purple, red looks great on a Chamonix.

Cheers,

BMW motor sport stripes Mal. They look great and if somebody in the future dislikes them they can be pulled off.