• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

CSL Barn Find 2285251

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More work on the motor today.
Finally got the upper timing cover back on after having to fix a stripped out thread. Was also able to get the water pump back on and the inlet manifold back together.

IMG_4879.jpg

Also got stuck into the gearbox. Drained the oil and replaced all of the seals. The selector shaft seal looked to be original and was a doozy to get out.
Managed to spill oil all over the place as well.

IMG_4880.jpg

Still have a load of engine bay bits to clean or replace ahead of my next W&N order arriving.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just got back from an evening session on the motor.
Managed the following:

Tappets have been set;
Thermostat fitted;
Distributor fitted;
Rocker cover on - looks great with the chrome cap nuts @sfdon provided;
Gear box back together, apart from the shaft linkages;

IMG_4897.jpg

My latest W&N order should have all I need to finish the rebuild to the point where we can return it to the car.
Looks a bit different from when I pulled it from the car!

IMG_4637.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Big milestone at the shop this week.
The engine and gearbox are now ready to go back in the car. This is scheduled to happen in a couple of weeks.

image1 (3).JPG

Pretty happy with the result. There isn't a nut on this thing that hasn't been unwound, cleaned or replaced.
Can't wait to get it back in the car.

Richard Sherman

Reaction score
Great story. I live in Melbourne and are nearly 95% through a restoration of a 1969 BMW 2800CS I bought out of the UK four years ago. The car was from California and had only been in the UK for 3 months when I bought it at auction.

Great to hear you scored this barn find from Perth. Looks like a fantastic project.

Have been involved with Targa Tasmania over the past few years as part of the Shannons Classic Tour and really love Tasmania. Real drivers roads across the island.

Hope to get the BMW down there once we are allowed out of Victoria. Would love to see the project in the flesh at some stage.

Cheers

Richard Sherman - 2800CS 2280028

20190802_100856.jpg
20191030_182450.jpg
20190802_100925.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great story. I live in Melbourne and are nearly 95% through a restoration of a 1969 BMW 2800CS I bought out of the UK four years ago. The car was from California and had only been in the UK for 3 months when I bought it at auction.

Great to hear you scored this barn find from Perth. Looks like a fantastic project.

Have been involved with Targa Tasmania over the past few years as part of the Shannons Classic Tour and really love Tasmania. Real drivers roads across the island.

Hope to get the BMW down there once we are allowed out of Victoria. Would love to see the project in the flesh at some stage.

Cheers

Richard Sherman - 2800CS 2280028

View attachment 98415View attachment 98416View attachment 98417
You need to get down here when it's safe to do so. I've also a restored 72 CS, so always up for a drive.

Here is a film BMW did on it last year:

W.